Gunwerks 6ix+, AB Raptor Eight Stack, CGS Hyperion K, Thunder Beast Dominus

I used a 10 stack with 3" reflex to hunt with my 338 win mag last fall. I went with the 10 stack because the length isn't much more. If anyone is on the fence, I recommend going with the 8 stack over the 6. I found this write up of someone testing configurations on a 375 Raptor build. He equated the sound of the 10 stack with no reflex to an 8 stack with a 3" reflex. The 10 stack does add 0.9" more total length but reduces the noise down equally for less weight. I also use the reflex though, as AB states that the reflex should be used on 338 magnum cartridges. The recoil reduction is very nice. It's muuuuuuuuch more of a push than a punch now. I originally bought this to go on a 33 Nosler that I've been building up but after my experience with it on the 338 win mag, I sort of wish I had just gone for the 338 RUM.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I used a 10 stack with 3" reflex to hunt with my 338 win mag last fall. I went with the 10 stack because the length isn't much more. If anyone is on the fence, I recommend going with the 8 stack over the 6. I found this write up of someone testing configurations on a 375 Raptor build. He equated the sound of the 10 stack with no reflex to an 8 stack with a 3" reflex. The 10 stack does add 0.9" more total length but reduces the noise down equally for less weight. I also use the reflex though, as AB states that the reflex should be used on 338 magnum cartridges. The recoil reduction is very nice. It's muuuuuuuuch more of a push than a punch now. I originally bought this to go on a 33 Nosler that I've been building up but after my experience with it on the 338 win mag, I sort of wish I had just gone for the 338 RUM.
I wonder if sound suppression is linear. If a suppressor beats another suppressor by 2dbs with a 6CM will it beat it by 2dbs from a 300 PRC?

I recently shot with a friend that has a 10 stack and in my 6CM neither of us could notice an audible difference between the eight and the ten stack. I wish I had brought a bigger caliber to compare.

Last edited:
The form 3 for my rugged alaskan finally went through and it shipped out Friday. I'm going backpacking for a week right now tho, so I'll go out and do some shooting when I get back

Oh I’m excited. Sitting on fence between this and Enticer S-Ti. Same size ish. Alaskan shoots bigger bore and is lighter. I need you to tell me it’s awesome.
Haha I'll let you know. That enticer looks nice too, I'd love to try one sometime or see a comparison by someone at least

ElPollo

WKR
I was at the range today with the intent of trying to measure the dB levels of my 8-stack raptor with a 3” reflex on a 16.5” 6.5 cm and a 20” 300 wsm. What I learned is that a dB meter app on an iPhone does a crappy job of measuring noise levels. It basically the spell-check version of noise monitoring. My shooter’s ear measurements for both rifles barely made it above 90 dB. The CM was reading about 87 dB and the WSM was about 92 dB…. Hmm, maybe it was all the pocket link stuck in my phone case. Anyway, as much as I like my Raptor, I don’t think it’s quite that good at suppression. So the pseudo bro-science of having people rate the performance of different cans like @RyanAvery is doing is probably about as good as it gets without sinking significant money into actual professional sound recording gear. Ryan, I appreciate what you are doing with this.

Tahoe1305

WKR
A
I was at the range today with the intent of trying to measure the dB levels of my 8-stack raptor with a 3” reflex on a 16.5” 6.5 cm and a 20” 300 wsm. What I learned is that a dB meter app on an iPhone does a crappy job of measuring noise levels. It basically the spell-check version of noise monitoring. My shooter’s ear measurements for both rifles barely made it above 90 dB. The CM was reading about 87 dB and the WSM was about 92 dB…. Hmm, maybe it was all the pocket link stuck in my phone case. Anyway, as much as I like my Raptor, I don’t think it’s quite that good at suppression. So the pseudo bro-science of having people rate the performance of different cans like @RyanAvery is doing is probably about as good as it gets without sinking significant money into actual professional sound recording gear. Ryan, I appreciate what you are doing with this.
All I heard was wsm at 92db. I’m getting one ;)

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I started really nerding out on suppressor two years ago. The first thing I learned was dB testing suppressors seemed to be an inexact science. I subscribe to pewscience and Jay is a smart cat but I have shot some of the suppressors that he rates well and it doesn’t always jive with my ears. So it’s a catch 22…. The more I learn the less I know. LOL.

BjornF16

WKR
I started really nerding out on suppressor two years ago. The first thing I learned was dB testing suppressors seemed to be an inexact science. I subscribe to pewscience and Jay is a smart cat but I have shot some of the suppressors that he rates well and it doesn’t always jive with my ears. So it’s a catch 22…. The more I learn the less I know. LOL.
He seems to rate the Omega 300 pretty high.

My Raptor 6 starts its' jail sentence today...but I'm also eyeballing a slightly longer can like the DDC LTi or Nomad LTi.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Any way to bro science recoil between them? Maybe a free recoil test on a solid table? This is a great thread!

Nice!

What’s the weight of the rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's around 6lbs 8 oz, I was a bit concerned it'd be a handful, but man it's nothing with that suppressor.
I'm using a factory plastic stock until my Manners Pro Hunter is done, which will be about 5 months 😒
20230208_174401.jpg