Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB Review

Grant76

FNG
So once again, if you want to get the best out of ranging with your new RF, you will want to map your sensor before starting to test, and the Fury was no exception here.
Any direction on where to find information on how to map these?

JGRaider

WKR
I learned to do this with every RF I buy, or try. Learned the hard way for not doing this with a Sig3000BDX I tried.

Put the RF in scan mode, and go back and forth across the top of a telephone pole. Go side to side, up and down and you will see which part of the reticle gives you readings on the top of the pole. For instance, the Sig I referenced gave a reading at about 630 on the very outside edge of the circle reticle. Side to side was almost in the center. I found it best to use a tripod. Hope this helps some. The Fury AB I have is almost dead center.

Grant76

FNG
I learned to do this with every RF I buy, or try. Learned the hard way for not doing this with a Sig3000BDX I tried.

Put the RF in scan mode, and go back and forth across the top of a telephone pole. Go side to side, up and down and you will see which part of the reticle gives you readings on the top of the pole. For instance, the Sig I referenced gave a reading at about 630 on the very outside edge of the circle reticle. Side to side was almost in the center. I found it best to use a tripod. Hope this helps some. The Fury AB I have is almost dead center.
Thanks im going to give that a try this evening. How far are you from the telephone pole?

JGRaider

WKR
A couple of things really pissed me off at Sig regarding this sensor/laser alignment thing. When I did the test and told the Sig CS guy what I found, he told me that the RF alignment "was within spec" and that there's nothing they could/would do about it. I also found at the same time that Sig has a ridiculous "5 yr electronic warranty from date of manufacture" nonsense instead of date of purchase. Screw that, I sent 'em back to CLNY.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
I was validating dope for my .22 GT with 77gr TMKs yesterday. For initial data, I was using my Vortex Fury 5000 ABs. I noticed that my impacts were consistently high from 200 all the way to 900, which is as far as my range extends. At 900, I was hitting .25 mils higher than the Fury ABs said I should be. I thought maybe the mirage causing me to hit high but when investigating, I discovered my trajectory exactly matched what Ballistic AE gave, but not the Fury ABs. So, I got to looking closely at input parameters for both Ballistic AE and the Vortex ap. Garbage in, garbage out, right?

So, I looked through several of the bullets in the vortex library and vortex’s listed BCs were all different than found elsewhere. I’m assuming that’s Litz’s influence since the engine in the binos is AB. With the 77gr TMK, the Vortex listed G7 was .191 vs .210 I found elsewhere on line. Sierra’s banded G5 and the .210 G7 aligned perfectly with my rifle, whereas Litz’s G7 was off by .25 mils at 900. That’s the first time Litz’s BCs have not worked well for me.

Anyway, just wanted to share in case other Fury AB users were having trouble getting their dope to line up. I recommend verifying Vortex’s listed BC AND validating the bino’s data on the range before relying on them in a hunting scenario.

John

JGRaider

WKR
Good post John and mirrors what I've seen. I just use Vortex' BC's as you said and verify from there. The AB's work extremely well for what I'm doing.