Suppressor QD muzzle devices vs direct thread? Mix of both?

eric1115

WKR
Shopping for my first suppressor (and it seems I'm not the only one).

I know I'm not likely to accomplish all these goals, but here's what I have and what I'd like:

First, my top choices are currently a Hyperion K or a Raptor 8 (possibly 6)

24" 7mm RM - my main long range hunting rifle. It's already threaded ⅝x24, currently wears a brake. I'd like to avoid cutting it down if possible. Already slightly porky at 10 and change ready to roll. I think I'd like to run direct thread on this for weight/length.

.308 that's going to get chopped to 18ish inches. I should have no problem getting ⅝ threads on this one too. No real preference on muzzle device vs DT.

SPR-ish 18" AR-15, currently threaded ½x28. I shoot this at 500+ more than I do anything resembling a mag dump. I'd like to suppress it primarily for coyote hunting and the like. I would like to have some sort of muzzle device on this when the can is off. Eventually I probably will end up with a can for the gas guns that uses a conventional QD mount, but want to be able to use this until then.

Kids 6mm ARC, 20" and threaded ⅝x24. I think this will eventually get something like a GAP Jager to live on it full time, but will use this can for now (though it will get shot a fair bit with bare muzzle as well)

I have another lower I'm planning on building a .300 BO on, and am considering doing it as a pinned/welded 14.xx to end up at shortest possible OAL with the can on, and avoiding the whole pistol brace mess/SBR hassle.

Whew! Part of me thinks a Hyperion K direct threaded onto my ⅝ rifles, and their thread adapter on the AR's is the simplest and cleanest option. ⅝ guns are all around .750 at the muzzle, it sounds like the taper mount is a non-issue?

The AB Raptor is appealing with the reflex and ability to run very light weight and lower cost, but I'm much less settled on best way to mount it on the different rifles I want to use it for. Is there a muzzle device that I can use on my gas guns? Is there room internally to use it with the CGS ⅝ adapter?

Lastly, I've talked to a couple of people who say their cans reduce recoil significantly more when mounted on a QD brake vs direct thread or flash hider type devices. They say the brake gets partial effectiveness via deflecting gas to side/rear inside the blast chamber. I'd love to hear input from anyone with solid info/testing on this. I've gotten to a point where spotting my impacts with my braked magnum is pretty essential to me. I would certainly sacrifice a bit of weight and/or sound/signature performance if I could get a meaningful bump on recoil mitigation.

If you're still with me, thank you and I'm excited to hear your input. I'm certainly not set on the CGS or Raptor either. I had been considering the Ultra 7, and Harvester Evo, and Nomad Ti. I think the Ultra 5 and GAP Jager are off the list, as I want better suppression and recoil performance than those offer.

Sled

WKR
Of your choices listed in the last paragraph, the harvester evo would be the best value and easiest to run across your platforms. It's direct thread with both 1/2 and 5/8 adapters.

As for the brake adapters, I did not notice or perceive a reduction in recoil compared to the direct threads I have. Of note, the tbac ultra 7 you mentioned is the same components in direct thread as QD. The only difference is the QD brake is glued in place for the DT model. DT would make it harder to use on multiple rifles with differing threads unless you want to run adapters.

Also, I believe you'll enjoy the 308 at 18" more than your 24" 7mag. You'll eventually cut the 7mag down or sell it and get something that you'll carry in a short barrel, like a WSM or one of the newer PRS cartridges.

I know this isn’t a suppressor you listed for what you want but this is a big reason I went with the thunder beast ultra 7 CB gen 2. The brakes or flash hinders they sell all work on the suppressor and you just pick what thread pattern you need. I have a 1/2x28 for my ar I had my tikka chopped to 20” and have a 9/16x24 for my 6.5 creed I could get enough barrel to do 5/8x24. On my new rifle I am building it is threaded 5/8x24 so I have that break on that. I can easily unscrew my suppressor and put it on any of those rifles without any adapters. They also have flash hinders as well if that is something you want on a ar.

Last edited:

BarCO

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I know this isn’t a suppressor you listed for what you want but this is a big reason I went with the thunder beast ultra 7 CB gen 2. The brakes or flash hinders they sell all work on the suppressor and you just pick what thread pattern you need. I have a 1/2x28 for my ar I had my tikka chopped to 20” and have a 9/16x24 for my 6.5 creed I could get enough barrel to do 5/8x24. On my new rifle I am building it is threaded 5/8x24 so I have that break on that. I can easily unscrew my suppressor and put it on any of those rifles without any adapters. They also have flash hinders as well if that is something you want on a ar.
Same can, CB on 5/8 6.5 prc and 9/16 Fieldcraft.270

I guess I should clarify I wanted the ultra 7 because it’s really lightweight and no poi shift from removing it and putting it back on. Second was because how awesome the brakes were for being versatile. My next one may be the ultra 5.

Last edited:
OP
E

eric1115

WKR
Is there a compelling reason not to take something like a CB TBAC, and treat it like a DT? Leave the brake in the can and move that from gun to gun (at least until I can get the funds together to spend another few hundred on muzzle devices for everything)?

I think if I picked up a flash hider for each of the ARs, then a single brake to use with all the ⅝ bolt guns I could fit that in the budget. Would I be constantly fighting with the brake to get it out in order to switch it to the gas gun?

You possibly could. There is nothing sticking out to put a wrench on when the break is in the suppressor. So you would want the brake tight on the rifle which requires timing with a peel washer. I would get the suppressor for what you plan to use mostly and you have a year to get other brakes. At least that is how long my stamp took