College Wrestling fans?

I look back at the guys who I wrestled with who were the strongest best athletes I've ever been around. Some went to D1 programs, but I don't think any even became all Americans. The level of skill and athleticism is to be truly admired.

OP
J
Didn't know Eierman had an ACL tear. But did notice the Spencer-esque full leg brace. I am watching the Quarters now....until my boss get's pissed and cuts the cord.

The only Sport I watch. No SuperBowl, no March Madness....gimme a pass

OP
J
Semi Floored RE: Oregon. I know almost nothing about them other than Ronnie Bresser knocked off Spencer, maybe TWICE a few years ago?

The addition of Pendleton and IMAR seems to have been money well spent

I obviously follow a TON of wrestling. Some of the athletes and backstories are incredible. Some are just difficult to NOT like after you watch a few interviews and listen to them.

Really pulling for Vito. He's a good Troop.

Catchfish

WKR
Hawkeye fan here, really rooting for kemerer haven’t watched any matches yet but Hawkeyes have been hurting the last part of the season.
Same about the skill level of these guys. I see some of the great wrestlers make others look terrible and all these guys would wipe the mat with most people.

RMM

WKR
Haven't seen anyone mention Gavin Hoffman, I went to high school with his older brother who wrestled for Indiana and the kid is a stud. He had two huge upsets and got himself into the semi's. I'm a PSU fan but I'll be pulling for him

Iowa better think about adding a coach that can get their guys thru. Poor Marinelli, but he does it every year. Kemerer, losing in 1/4's. Eyerman out. Guys who should at least get past qtrs aren't

The refereeing is better than last year, but that aint saying much. I am not a Iowa fan, but I haven't seen 1 team lose so much so quickly or unexpectedly.

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Iowa better think about adding a coach that can get their guys thru. Poor Marinelli, but he does it every year. Kemerer, losing in 1/4's. Eyerman out. Guys who should at least get past qtrs aren't

The refereeing is better than last year, but that aint saying much. I am not a Iowa fan, but I haven't seen 1 team lose so much so quickly or unexpectedly.
Injuries. It’s been known and talked about for awhile that Iowa is dealing with a lot of injuries. They aren’t healthy and it’s definitely hurting them and costing them matches. Maybe it really is worse than any of them let on, maybe it’s underperformance. Who knows. It’s been disappointing as an Iowa alum and fan but life goes on. Still been entertaining to watch.

Injuries. It’s been known and talked about for awhile that Iowa is dealing with a lot of injuries. They aren’t healthy and it’s definitely hurting them and costing them matches. Maybe it really is worse than any of them let on, maybe it’s underperformance. Who knows. It’s been disappointing as an Iowa alum and fan but life goes on. Still been entertaining to watch.
I wanted Marineli to go all the way.
The rest of them didn't matter to me.
Last year Spencer won with 2 bad acls

No wussies remember. Lol
Few are 100% healthy this time of year.
I'd say Eyerman was hurt bad. But their conditioning didn't look great either. Well other than Dejerko.
Lol

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Even though I don't like Desanto, I sure felt bad for him losing to RBY again, in fact I gfeel he controlled that match until the very end. I listened to Brands interview and he is missing it. I said Iowa needs to consider adding/changing a coach, I stand by that. These men are not mentally as prepared as others. They are good, they just need to have a mind set that carries them thru a finish. Wrestling is 90% conditioning and 80% mental. I know that math doesn't add up, but it's the way it is. Can't wait to see the finals.

Finals were fun to watch. I was happy to see Deakin finally get his title, cool to see a Colorado kid win it. I was really unimpressed by Suriano in his match, but overall there were a ton of good matches. Once again Penn State peaked at just the right time, they are doing something right up there.

Yes a great tourny. Would've been good to have all the guys there competing, but staying healthy and peaking at right time is a planned process mostly. I got a kick out of interviews where they would ask the wrestlers, "why is this so stressfull"?

Wrestling isn't something you do like go bowling on a Sat night. At this level it is a life style and usually has been since grade school. It was all I thought about. Not Eating/working out, conditioning consumes you. I think Dan Gable said it best, "after wrestling, life is easy". For some young men, they can finally move on and live life.
Congrats.

Yes a great tourny. Would've been good to have all the guys there competing, but staying healthy and peaking at right time is a planned process mostly. I got a kick out of interviews where they would ask the wrestlers, "why is this so stressfull"?

Wrestling isn't something you do like go bowling on a Sat night. At this level it is a life style and usually has been since grade school. It was all I thought about. Not Eating/working out, conditioning consumes you. I think Dan Gable said it best, "after wrestling, life is easy". For some young men, they can finally move on and live life.
Congrats.
Yep

OP
J
I watched more wrestling over the 3 day tournament than ever before. It was simply fantastic. Think I've said prolly 5 times in this thread I am a Penn State fan. But I never envisioned 5 Champs with this squad. I could see that in the era of Zain/Nolf/Cenzo/Hall/Nickal. They were generally untouchable in Dominance. I did NOT see that with this Squad.

But after wrestling for many years, attending a D1 college and running with D1 wrestlers and personally knowing a D1 head coach for a Top 5 team, you really get an understanding about what it takes, and the toll it takes. I have friends with incredible resumes...many several time State Champions for great states. And they burned out. Broke. Wasnt for them and/or couldn't hold it together.

So many heartbreakers. I wish they all could win. I really don't like Marinelli....but he's got soooo much work into the sport to be close and fail time after time. Sucks.

I think about the mental toll it will take on the rest of his life, and the same for others in his shoes.

RBY is my favorite. But I didn't really care for his strategy and tactics vs DeSanto last two matches. Meet the kid in the middle and let it fly. He did Stall a ton.

Seeing Hayden Hidlay in tears sucks. He's suck a great dude. His humility and love of his brother is amazing. Said he would eat 100 loses if you could get Trent his Wins. Good Dudes.

But to the overall tone of Iowa and new coaches......as I said in the opener.....everyone wants to know Cael's "Secret Sauce" Roman said it's not for sale.

I don't think Max Dean was the best 197. But he made it happen. 184 was very tight in the top 4-5. I think Brooks vs Keick/Hidlay/Amine etc are all 1 point decisions. But Cael pumped up his Reeboks and put in his mouthpiece. And he and Jesus made it happen.

You could see Mehki break with :40 seconds left in the 3rd. Both are great athletes....but why didn't Carter break?

This season was like Game of Thrones. I never wanted to get to the end. Don't want it to be over. My wife really thinks it's funny and flips me shit every year. "Oh...Wrestling is over now" That is of course until World Team Trials kicks off in 5 weeks. Then World Championships. Then Pan Am games. Then........

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Just got home and watched some replays.

I'm far from a Desantos fan but I thought he could have taken RBY if he had followed through on some of his first period shots. It was like he got in there then remembered who he was wrestling. PSU gets in your head including the referee's. RBY made zero shot attempts in the first period and the ref talks to Desanto about forcing a stalemate?

Has anyone taken down RBY? I've never seen it. The arm length (and phenomenal counter moves) of RBY really limits Fix.

Desanto always has a screwball moment. He intentionally steps on RBY's hand for no apparent reason. I could almost understand it if he had followed up with a shot.

I also give Desanto credit for following up and getting 3rd. A lot of losers in close semis just don't have it in the consolations.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Even though I don't like Desanto, I sure felt bad for him losing to RBY again, in fact I gfeel he controlled that match until the very end. I listened to Brands interview and he is missing it. I said Iowa needs to consider adding/changing a coach, I stand by that. These men are not mentally as prepared as others. They are good, they just need to have a mind set that carries them thru a finish. Wrestling is 90% conditioning and 80% mental. I know that math doesn't add up, but it's the way it is. Can't wait to see the finals.
Looking at the history of RBY and Desantos and watching their matches from 2019 to 2022 I think you could see some differences in wrestler development due to coaching over those years. That said, I'm absolutely sure Desantos isn't the easiest guy to coach.

Looking at the history of RBY and Desantos and watching their matches from 2019 to 2022 I think you could see some differences in wrestler development due to coaching over those years. That said, I'm absolutely sure Desantos isn't the easiest guy to coach.
He is probably easier to coach than Penn States, I mean Rutgers, I mean Michigans, Nick Suriano. This guy is just weird, sorry, he is strange dude.

I watched the Desanto, Spencer match from before college when Desanto beat Spencer. He has it in him, but I feel his coaches failed him, mentally. Wrestling is so much mental, confidence, and Desanto had none when it came to RBY. You could see it in his attempted take downs. He would shoot and stop. Never tried to follow thru or shoot with the belief he could ever score. He was beat before he ever went to the mat.

If it was a freestyle event, Fix would've beat RBY by 3 points. Time to see who is a real wrestler on the world stage now.
All great men, but some will be the greatest.

I watched more wrestling over the 3 day tournament than ever before. It was simply fantastic. Think I've said prolly 5 times in this thread I am a Penn State fan. But I never envisioned 5 Champs with this squad. I could see that in the era of Zain/Nolf/Cenzo/Hall/Nickal. They were generally untouchable in Dominance. I did NOT see that with this Squad.

But after wrestling for many years, attending a D1 college and running with D1 wrestlers and personally knowing a D1 head coach for a Top 5 team, you really get an understanding about what it takes, and the toll it takes. I have friends with incredible resumes...many several time State Champions for great states. And they burned out. Broke. Wasnt for them and/or couldn't hold it together.

So many heartbreakers. I wish they all could win. I really don't like Marinelli....but he's got soooo much work into the sport to be close and fail time after time. Sucks.

I think about the mental toll it will take on the rest of his life, and the same for others in his shoes.

RBY is my favorite. But I didn't really care for his strategy and tactics vs DeSanto last two matches. Meet the kid in the middle and let it fly. He did Stall a ton.

Seeing Hayden Hidlay in tears sucks. He's suck a great dude. His humility and love of his brother is amazing. Said he would eat 100 loses if you could get Trent his Wins. Good Dudes.

But to the overall tone of Iowa and new coaches......as I said in the opener.....everyone wants to know Cael's "Secret Sauce" Roman said it's not for sale.

I don't think Max Dean was the best 197. But he made it happen. 184 was very tight in the top 4-5. I think Brooks vs Keick/Hidlay/Amine etc are all 1 point decisions. But Cael pumped up his Reeboks and put in his mouthpiece. And he and Jesus made it happen.

You could see Mehki break with :40 seconds left in the 3rd. Both are great athletes....but why didn't Carter break?

This season was like Game of Thrones. I never wanted to get to the end. Don't want it to be over. My wife really thinks it's funny and flips me shit every year. "Oh...Wrestling is over now" That is of course until World Team Trials kicks off in 5 weeks. Then World Championships. Then Pan Am games. Then........
Actual I believe 4 of the 5 were returning champs from last year. Max dean was the new champ.

LostArra

WKR
Any predictions for 2023?

Penn St runs away with team title although I would like to see NC State give them a run.

Locks in first two weight classes: Spencer Lee and Roman Bravo Young. (Does either one even get taken down in the entire tournament??)