Long Term Repercussions of Sports

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of us on here played sports at one level or another throughout our youth and many of us either have or will have children that'll want to play sports as they get older. This isn't something I write to condemn athletics, but maybe to bring awareness to the long term effects sports can play on your health as you get older. Being on a team learning discipline, building character and staying fit are but a few of many pros to playing sports, but is everyone aware of the potential long term problems participating in sports can cause? Ultimately leading to the thought process of is this worth it or not for my kids.

I'll preface this by saying I'm a 28 year old former athlete. I was an All-State football player and an All-American wrestler. I decided to wrestle in college and at the age of 22 I received the final injury that would end my athletic career, but the repercussions are still felt to this day. Throughout my career I have had the following injuries: 2 documented concussions, 6 broken ribs, torn meniscus (twice), ton pcl, torn mcl, torn hamstring, torn rotator cuffs. torn pec, broken right hand, 4 broken toes, sprained ankle, pulled groin, broken nose and many more bumps and bruises I can't even remember. This has lead to multiple surgeries predominantly on my right knee which has never been the same since and early onset spinal stenosis from years of lifting and impact. So from 22 years old to my current age of 28 there hasn't been a day where I don't have to manage intense chronic pain. Part of being in wrestling and football is the "be tough play injured mentality" which can lead to much more severe injuries, but in middle school, high school and even college you aren't thinking about how you'll feel in 10-20 years from now. My college wrestling coach after I blew out my knee even said "don't be a p**sy you are going to keep wrestling or you won't have a scholarship next year". Being on this site I obviously love hunting and spend much of my free time doing it, but my abilities to hike and carry packs is greatly affected by the long term effects of my sports injuries and can sometimes be extremely depressing. I think to myself if I'm in this much pain at 28 what is the quality of life going to look like for me when I'm 50. All of this pain for little more than some good memories and a few dusty boxes full of trophies/medals.

So now I watch my sisters kids growing up and think about them and all of the kids growing up out there playing sports where their long term health is an afterthought and will likely be encouraged to play through injuries potentially leading to much more severe injuries all for the sake of potentially winning one more game or match. I wouldn't ever want to discourage kids from being part of a team and working hard to achieve something. But I think as the parents, coaches, adults, etc. we need to be more conscience of these things and make sure everyone's long term health is prioritized over winning a game or taking part of the play through it even though you're injured mentality. I want to have kids one day and I want them to grow up and be able to go on an elk hunt without having to limp around the mountain in pain.

As a former athlete and parent of two young active kids I share your concern and am making decisions with those concerns in mind.

Ideally, I'd want my kids to play a team spot, an individual sport, and also do something where the result isn't so easily objectively defined (like fishing or hunting).

With regards to the sports, heavy bias towards something that promotes general health and well-being and that they can do for much of their lives (like running or swimming).

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
As a former athlete and parent of two young active kids I share your concern and am making decisions with those concerns in mind.

Ideally, I'd want my kids to play a team spot, an individual sport, and also do something where the result isn't so easily objectively defined (like fishing or hunting).

With regards to the sports, heavy bias towards something that promotes general health and well-being and that they can do for much of their lives (like running or swimming).
focusing on a sport that promotes general health is a great mindset!

I have given this a lot of thought as well. I raced motocross growing up, and have had my fair share of hospital visits. It may be selfish, but I plan to persuade my kids to participate in more “mild”sports (especially avoiding motocross). I really hope hunting eventually takes priority in their lives, and I won’t have to worry so much!

bozeman

WKR
I broke an ankle and a collarbone on a football field, packed it up after that. My son, now 17 wanted to play football, so I let him in the 7th grade. He played 2 years and was done. 1 year of basketball and 2 years of soccer. Now, he works a couple days a week and does CrossFit.......unsure if CrossFit is better or worse, but he really enjoys it. I never promoted the sports.....but wanted him to have a chance to experience it. Same for daughter....2 years of soccer, 1 year of track, but now in the band and enjoys it. I think to each his own........one could also state the long term ramifications of not working on a team, learning to win/lose with a touch of class, etc.....

2531usmc

WKR
Saw an article just the other day about high school and junior high school football players suffering mild brain trauma from hits to the head.

I know here in Maryland quite a few high schools have lost their football teams because parents will not allow their children to play the game. The long term cost may just be too high

Tackle football- 9 years including 3 seasons in college
Wrestling- 7 years of folkstyle with 3 years of freestyle and Greco in between
  • Several concussions, with the worst occurring Jr. year of college. Back in the 90s there wasn't any concussion protocol. Between these and COVID, short term memory is mediocre and I get some general lack of acuity at times
  • Chronic "stingers" pinched nerves in both shoulders/neck that have flared up now that I'm in my late 40s. These give me issues sleeping at night and require monthly chiropractor treatments
  • Pre-mature sacro-iliac and lumbar osteoarthritis cause from impacts and poor lifting technique
  • Both knees have cartilage damage and osteoarthritis. Manageable for now but source of regular to chronic pain
  • SLAP tear in right shoulder that required surgery to correct a few years ago. Caused by sports wear and tear, poor lifting technique, and too much benching when I was younger
My son played football in jr. high and decided to stick with baseball in high school.
My daughters played softball and volleyball in jr. high and gave up softball for Olympic weightlifting. My oldest is going to Concordia University in Seward, NE on a weightlifting sholarship. My younges daughter gave up volleyball to focus on lifting (jr. in high school).

We always encouraged our kids to participate in sports. Learning how to operate and build teams is crucial to long tem success. However, weightlifting has been incredibly positive in all areas of their lives. It has improved their discipline, goal setting, focus, and driven home how important hard work is in life. It's also a sport that they can safely do for life.

Encouraging kids to play contact sports is fine as long as you can trust their coaches are looking out for their wellbeing vs. just trying to fill a roster. If the latter, I recommend saving the kids the pain and suffering they can expect later in life if they compete at a relatively high level.

I broke an ankle and a collarbone on a football field, packed it up after that. My son, now 17 wanted to play football, so I let him in the 7th grade. He played 2 years and was done. 1 year of basketball and 2 years of soccer. Now, he works a couple days a week and does CrossFit.......unsure if CrossFit is better or worse, but he really enjoys it. I never promoted the sports.....but wanted him to have a chance to experience it. Same for daughter....2 years of soccer, 1 year of track, but now in the band and enjoys it. I think to each his own........one could also state the long term ramifications of not working on a team, learning to win/lose with a touch of class, etc.....
Crossfit can be very beneficial for a lifetime if done safely. However, the movements in CF can also be incredibly damaging to joints if excuted with poor technique. Some of the youtube fails by crossfitters are devastating to watch.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Tackle football- 9 years including 3 seasons in college
Wrestling- 7 years of folkstyle with 3 years of freestyle and Greco in between
  • Several concussions, with the worst occurring Jr. year of college. Back in the 90s there wasn't any concussion protocol. Between these and COVID, short term memory is mediocre and I get some general lack of acuity at times
  • Chronic "stingers" pinched nerves in both shoulders/neck that have flared up now that I'm in my late 40s. These give me issues sleeping at night and require monthly chiropractor treatments
  • Pre-mature sacro-iliac and lumbar osteoarthritis cause from impacts and poor lifting technique
  • Both knees have cartilage damage and osteoarthritis. Manageable for now but source of regular to chronic pain
  • SLAP tear in right shoulder that required surgery to correct a few years ago. Caused by sports wear and tear, poor lifting technique, and too much benching when I was younger
My son played football in jr. high and decided to stick with baseball in high school.
My daughters played softball and volleyball in jr. high and gave up softball for Olympic weightlifting. My oldest is going to Concordia University in Seward, NE on a weightlifting sholarship. My younges daughter gave up volleyball to focus on lifting (jr. in high school).

We always encouraged our kids to participate in sports. Learning how to operate and build teams is crucial to long tem success. However, weightlifting has been incredibly positive in all areas of their lives. It has improved their discipline, goal setting, focus, and driven home how important hard work is in life. It's also a sport that they can safely do for life.

Encouraging kids to play contact sports is fine as long as you can trust their coaches are looking out for their wellbeing vs. just trying to fill a roster. If the latter, I recommend saving the kids the pain and suffering they can expect later in life if they compete at a relatively high level.
I agree whole heartedly that participating in sports has many long term benefits especially goal setting, discipline, etc. like you said. I just think that the parents and more so coaches need to prioritize players health and well being over sending kids into the meat grinder for the sake of their own ego wanting to win if that makes sense. Kids are kids, they don't understand what the future looks like after years of accruing injuries when your body stops beings so malleable.

I just think that the parents and more so coaches need to prioritize players health and well being over sending kids into the meat grinder for the sake of their own ego wanting to win if that makes sense. Kids are kids, they don't understand what the future looks like after years of accruing injuries when your body stops beings so malleable.
💯 ^^^ This right here nails it.

intunegp

WKR
Baseball from age 5 to 17, soccer from 5-7, football from 8-14. I know I didn't play/participate at as high of a level as others here but I'd wager my experience is more relatable to the average sporting kid.

Baseball and soccer as young as I was allowed to participate, soccer ended and football began when it changed from "flag" to full contact. At age 13 I broke my arm pretty severely at spring football practice. Not bad enough to require surgery but the bone had to be set, and I had a cast to the shoulder for four weeks and to the elbow for six more. My team made the playoffs that year and I was rehabbed and back in time for a few playoff games that fall.

In the following year's spring practice, I attempted a new squat max in the weight room. Unbeknownst to me, my spotter turned around and walked away after I got the bar off the rack. It was too much weight and as I squatted I fell backwards awkwardly and ended up fracturing my fibula right above the ankle. Cast to the hip for four weeks, to the knee for four more.

Entering high school I made the choice to focus on baseball as it was my favorite, I was better at it, and I thought I had a chance for a scholarship (even if just community college) if things went well. Those hopes kind of dwindled since my high school varsity coach and I didn't like each other, and his golden boy/starter was only a year older than me, but the final blow was tearing my labrum at age 16. I tried to stay in the game and play through but as it hurt more and more it got to the point where I couldn't throw the ball from home plate (I was a catcher) back to the mound.

First doctor recommended surgery right away but my mom wanted a second opinion. This resulted in the next year spent off the field and getting weekly steroid injections and physical therapy, ultimately ending in the surgery that was originally recommended.

I was told if I rehabbed it well I'd be able to play again, but throwing has never felt the same and I called it quits. It doesn't hurt all the time or even all the time when I'm throwing. I've played several years of beer league softball since then and had no issues other than being a little sore the next day, only sometimes, but it still just feels different. I also haven't attempted any serious weight lifting since then but the times I've been in the gym or worked out it hasn't been an issue. I also don't have any pain drawing my bow.

All in all at age 31 I wouldn't say I have any serious lingering effects of any of my childhood sports injuries. Hope this continues to be the case. The only thing that concerns me is further issues with the shoulder as I get older, but it seems to be holding up for now.

Played football from the age of 5 till I was 18. Tackle started when I was 7 or 8, can't remember (see where I'm going with this). One year of major college football. Never had a concussion but definitely feel that numerous hard hits have affected my brain. Get really mad, almost irate and belligerent at small things randomly. If you look up on YouTube David Dunham hitting Matt Ryan (Clemson vs Boston College) in 2005, that'll give you an idea of who I had to face up against on scout team. Hit him 3 consecutive plays in a row as a center on scout team. Could hardly stand up after we ran that play for the 3rd time.

All of that to say, I really want my sons to play baseball. I'm not opposed to them playing football but won't push it. I think it's really messed my noggin up. Also had to have shoulder surgery after that season after tearing my labrum and rotator cuff up. Surgeon said I had the scar tissue of a 55 year old in that shoulder at the age of 18.

Good post. I was very into sports. Basketball year round and was all-state football. Made a choice I'd only play power 5 football and luckily I wasn't good enough for that level and opted out of playing in college. I blew up my ankle (same injury Terrell Owens had) and have had a few broken ribs (two from football and two from a horse). Weather changed here a couple days ago and I was hurting. I was literally limping around the house at the ripe age of 36. My wife is a physical therapist, never played any sports. She does all lifestyle PT (mostly women's health, could care less about fixing a 15-year old's sprained ankle). She also does cross fit, but b/c of her training, does it correctly. She has no interest in fixing her kid's sports injuries for the next 20 years.

We have two boys, oldest is 5. Football for my wife is essentially a no, at least until they are probably 8th grade. Wrestling is almost a never for her, strictly because of the nutrition and body abuse part of it. The only way she lets him wrestle is if he wrestles up in weight. She's pulling for swimming, track and field, xc skiing, and ninja. Oldest started ninja and loves it, it's a really cool sport and really helps his coordination and confidence. We've decided, for the most part, to support them in whatever they choose and we're not going to push anything. But like examples above, there will be some pretty hard rules. Only hard no for me is motor cross and I'll try to talk my kid out of anything that involves weekends between May and September!

I wish someone sat me down every year starting at about age 14 to reevaluate things and be a voice of reason. No regrets, we had fun and won several state and regional championships, but I would do it all WAY different if I could. I officiated basketball and football to pay my way through college. Did a lot of weekend stuff grades 5-10. It's pretty clear that 90% of it is parents trying to relive their glory days through their kids. I can't believe they can still find officials for all these games based solely on how terrible the parent's behaved.

All in all at age 31 I wouldn't say I have any serious lingering effects of any of my childhood sports injuries. Hope this continues to be the case. The only thing that concerns me is further issues with the shoulder as I get older, but it seems to be holding up for now.
I had the same experience. My shoulder finally gave out when I started training hard in Olympic lifts for master's competition and to get in Elk shape. I was 44 or 45.

LostArra

WKR
Former D-1 college athlete here (wrestling in the early 70's). I also coached middle school and high school sports but not as my primary profession.
We raised four daughters, adults now. Three were competitive athletes in high school.

Augie, your remarkable injury experience does not sound typical for most and the attitude of your wrestling coach was unfortunate.
My overall opinion is that sports, especially individual sports or other individual activities, are beneficial.
All (most) kids are not athletes and most will self select by 13 years of age. Very very very few will be college athletes in spite of all the summer camps they attend.
A parent trying to choose a child's interests is not usually possible and sometimes detrimental.
A kid, especially middle school age, with no extracurricular interests, doing nothing more physical than computer games and too much spare time on their hands is a recipe for problems.

Rather than type more I will echo jjohnson Elknewbie

Final thoughts: Teenagers driving a car is more dangerous than high school sports.

There are plenty of beat-up arthritic adults getting joints replaced who never played any level of competitive sports. Some bodies just wear out.

Crossfit is good at introducing people to a barbell but definitely has it's own set of problems and shortcomings. It's probably a subject for another discussion.

I agree whole heartedly that participating in sports has many long term benefits especially goal setting, discipline, etc. like you said. I just think that the parents and more so coaches need to prioritize players health and well being over sending kids into the meat grinder for the sake of their own ego wanting to win if that makes sense. Kids are kids, they don't understand what the future looks like after years of accruing injuries when your body stops beings so malleable.

Agree but with the thought that it's ok for a kid to occasionally be "uncomfortable" as long as it's safe.
Running stadium steps or the local hillside is uncomfortable but running the same steps in the recent 100 degree heat wave is unsafe.

Isn't parenting fun? Grandparenting is where it's at!

My boys play golf! There is so much that can be learned from playing competitive golf in that you are both an individual and a part of a team. It's a grind playing in the elements for 6 hours against your opponent while at the same time carrying on a friendly conversation. It teaches you a lot about mental and physical toughness, controlling your emotions, working under pressure, etc. Best part is it's non contact, so the biggest injury that we see are blisters on your feet! Some players over do it and end up with back injuries, but golf has been great for us.

OP
Augie

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
When a youth gets hurt, they're hurt. There's nothing worse than a dad's, or a mom's, or coach's ego getting in the way when something should keep the kiddo out for a while...
agreed, I'd add this same mindset even for high school and college age kids. Shouldn't be encouraged to play injured and should be enforced by coaches and training staff to keep injured players out until fully recovered. Sometimes people are just tough and need saved from themselves.

It's pretty clear that 90% of it is parents trying to relive their glory days through their kids. I can't believe they can still find officials for all these games based solely on how terrible the parent's behaved.
It's parents trying to live through their kids and parents that think their kid is going D1 and on to the pros. 99% will never make it, but they spend thousands throughout these kids lives to see them hate the sport before they even get to high school. Sad, sad...

Don't get me started on officiating. I umpired jr. high softball games for my girls, and guess which fans constantly heckled and gave me $hit until I started kicking them out? Our own team's damn parents! The same ones that would never sign up to work the concession stand or umpire.

Woo, gotta sit down. That just got my blood boiling all over again.

My boys play golf! There is so much that can be learned from playing competitive golf in that you are both an individual and a part of a team. It's a grind playing in the elements for 6 hours against your opponent while at the same time carrying on a friendly conversation. It teaches you a lot about mental and physical toughness, controlling your emotions, working under pressure, etc. Best part is it's non contact, so the biggest injury that we see are blisters on your feet! Some players over do it and end up with back injuries, but golf has been great for us.
Golf, olympic weightlifting, and other highly technical non-contact sports are fantastic wasy to raise well rounded kids.

EDIT: Annnnnd, guess what sport has the most athletic scholarships that go unawarded every year... Golf!