College Wrestling fans?

OP
J
I had another thread a few months ago, but this will be just as pertinent. There are only 3-4 members that are wrestling savvy anyhow.

Being a Penn State homer and huge fan.....I am not certain they walk away with it. Think it's now being spread out a little more evenly across the schools...at least for the ranked guys.

125: Spencer will win rather easily. Cronin did slow him down considerably in B10 finals. And Spencer looks human in the 3rd. Additionally, I've watched Spencer interview and wrestle all year. He has new phyisical ticks and tweaks, the BS with Ayala mid season. And his animation.....he is feeling a TON of pressure. A huge weight on his shoulders. But he's healthy and should be no problem. BUT....if he melted completely down, I wont be suprised. He's carrying a ton of weight (mentally)

133: Hope RBY. But Daton may go down as the best to never win. Finals all 4 years? I think RBY is rather healthy. I pick RBY by a takedown

141: Real Woods. Consistent all year. And Spencer showed him his bar tilt. I'd guess Bartlett melts down. Does not AA

149: Yianni By at least a Take Down. He has some Nuts this year. Think he's excited in a positive way. Van Ness will not AA

157: Levi Haines my new favotire Nittany Lion. He's looked soooo good. But Andonian takes him off the front side. I'll take 27 year old Peyton Robb Haines takes 5th

165: Fireworks!!! So many good guys. David Carr over Keegan. Love Hamiti....but Keegan bumps him in Semis. Facundo fails to AA.

174: Starocci. Least favorite. Would hope Mikey Labs bumps him off. But won't happen.

184. Aaron Brooks. Love me some Trent Hidlay. But he just doesn't have it. The lost Brooks took will show to be a huge positive this weekend.

197: Another Pick 'em weight. Lots of guys I like. Cardenas a favorite but very inconsistent. Loved with "Back Up Beard" bumped off Dean early this season. Beard is my hopeful winner. But Bastida, Elam, Trumble...Allred....they all have a decent shot to win it. I never even heard of Allred until two weeks ago. Was a dominant 6-3 over the returning Champ. Anyone but Warner....yawn. Dean takes 7th

HWT: Love me some Kerkvliet....but he's gotta shoot. He puts on a clinic and wrestles super free against someone he knows he can beat. But clams up against Parris. Parris wins it. Kerk takes 2nd or 3rd.

Don't know dick about wrestling. But really pulling for Franek at 157. On a 22 match streak and his only loss was a close decision to Robb in the first match of the season. Great kid that decided to stay home to wrestle and hopefully he can bring the first title to NDSU!

Like your assessment and write up @Jesse Jaymes. Nebraska wrestling alum so obvious bias here.
Not sure Woods holds off Hardy again. How he didnt get a third stall call in the B10 finals is beyond me.
Brooks being seeded 3rd is laughable.
Allred is the real deal.
I think Penn State takes it but IA and NE will be right there.

mcr-85

WKR
I'd really like to see Daton Fix beat RBY. Not sure it will happen but would be awesome if it did. I do think we'll see two new 4 timers this year, being Spencer Lee and Yianni.

I'd love to see Brock Hardy win it. He's a Utah guy. My boy and I went to watch the Cliff Keen tournament down in Vegas in December and Hardy won it. My little boy talked to him for 10-15 minutes after his finals match. He was good to just sit and talk wrestling with him for a bit.

LostArra

WKR
I'd really like to see Daton Fix beat RBY. Not sure it will happen but would be awesome if it did. I do think we'll see two new 4 timers this year, being Spencer Lee and Yianni.

I'd love to see Brock Hardy win it. He's a Utah guy. My boy and I went to watch the Cliff Keen tournament down in Vegas in December and Hardy won it. My little boy talked to him for 10-15 minutes after his finals match. He was good to just sit and talk wrestling with him for a bit.

It is great to hear Brock Hardy treat his fans well. Immediately after his Big 12 final match Daton Fix (4x Big 12 champ) interrupted the espn reporter who was interviewing him to go take some photos with a group of kids in the stands.

I'm a Fix fan since his high school days but I think RBY is the very best counter move wrestler on his feet. I would be surprised if he has been taken down this season. Fix needs to get a takedown and to get his legs in while on top where he is a beast but he has not been able to do either with RBY.

Don't know dick about wrestling. But really pulling for Franek at 157. On a 22 match streak and his only loss was a close decision to Robb in the first match of the season. Great kid that decided to stay home to wrestle and hopefully he can bring the first title to NDSU!
I like Franek too. I hope he's in the final with O'Connor.

mcr-85

WKR
It is great to hear Brock Hardy treat his fans well. Immediately after his Big 12 final match Daton Fix (4x Big 12 champ) interrupted the espn reporter who was interviewing him to go take some photos with a group of kids in the stands.

I'm a Fix fan since his high school days but I think RBY is the very best counter move wrestler on his feet. I would be surprised if he has been taken down this season. Fix needs to get a takedown and to get his legs in while on top where he is a beast but he has not been able to do either with RBY.

I like Franek too. I hope he's in the final with O'Connor.
My boy went to the Vector camp last summer and Daton was a clinician one of the days. He was great to the kids there as well. Lots of questions and answers from the kids and it was good to hear him talk to them. He came off as a humble wrestler which I like. He had a lot of cool technique to teach as well.

I had another thread a few months ago, but this will be just as pertinent. There are only 3-4 members that are wrestling savvy anyhow.

Being a Penn State homer and huge fan.....I am not certain they walk away with it. Think it's now being spread out a little more evenly across the schools...at least for the ranked guys.

125: Spencer will win rather easily. Cronin did slow him down considerably in B10 finals. And Spencer looks human in the 3rd. Additionally, I've watched Spencer interview and wrestle all year. He has new phyisical ticks and tweaks, the BS with Ayala mid season. And his animation.....he is feeling a TON of pressure. A huge weight on his shoulders. But he's healthy and should be no problem. BUT....if he melted completely down, I wont be suprised. He's carrying a ton of weight (mentally)

133: Hope RBY. But Daton may go down as the best to never win. Finals all 4 years? I think RBY is rather healthy. I pick RBY by a takedown

141: Real Woods. Consistent all year. And Spencer showed him his bar tilt. I'd guess Bartlett melts down. Does not AA

149: Yianni By at least a Take Down. He has some Nuts this year. Think he's excited in a positive way. Van Ness will not AA

157: Levi Haines my new favotire Nittany Lion. He's looked soooo good. But Andonian takes him off the front side. I'll take 27 year old Peyton Robb Haines takes 5th

165: Fireworks!!! So many good guys. David Carr over Keegan. Love Hamiti....but Keegan bumps him in Semis. Facundo fails to AA.

174: Starocci. Least favorite. Would hope Mikey Labs bumps him off. But won't happen.

184. Aaron Brooks. Love me some Trent Hidlay. But he just doesn't have it. The lost Brooks took will show to be a huge positive this weekend.

197: Another Pick 'em weight. Lots of guys I like. Cardenas a favorite but very inconsistent. Loved with "Back Up Beard" bumped off Dean early this season. Beard is my hopeful winner. But Bastida, Elam, Trumble...Allred....they all have a decent shot to win it. I never even heard of Allred until two weeks ago. Was a dominant 6-3 over the returning Champ. Anyone but Warner....yawn. Dean takes 7th

HWT: Love me some Kerkvliet....but he's gotta shoot. He puts on a clinic and wrestles super free against someone he knows he can beat. But clams up against Parris. Parris wins it. Kerk takes 2nd or 3rd.
Great assessment. I agree with you on most of your picks. I'm a big Penn state fan as well.

I am rooting for Alirez at 141. I'd love to see a Colorado kid win it, and he has looked damn good all year. I'm excited to see how 165 shakes out as well, I agree with you and think Carr has the edge on Keegan.

Last edited:
NC State man and fan here. We’re not really contenders to win it all but it’s been fun to watch the program become a dominant one in the ACC these last 5-6 years. Hidlay is a contender and Orine had a spectacular win in the ACC finals.
I just enjoy the show.
The most INDIVIDUAL sport in collegiate athletics!

LostArra

WKR
I am rooting for Alirez at 141. I'd love to see a Colorado kid win it, and he has looked damn good all year. I'm excited to see how 165 shakes out as well, I agree with you and think Carr has the edge on Keegan.
Agree. Alirez was impressive in Big 12 tournament and so was Poulin. I'm really happy that Northern Colorado is well represented. I wrestled at UW in the 70's and we had good matches with UNC, CSU and CU. Now only UNC and WYO are still around (and AFA).

NC State man and fan here. We’re not really contenders to win it all but it’s been fun to watch the program become a dominant one in the ACC these last 5-6 years. Hidlay is a contender and Orine had a spectacular win in the ACC finals.
I just enjoy the show.
The most INDIVIDUAL sport in collegiate athletics!
A really good Thursday-Friday for NC State and a really bad day or two for PSU could make things interesting but unfortunately Coach Sanderson hands out Superman pills and Penn State usually clinches the title on Saturday afternoon. I would just like to see the team race be decided in the finals. Penn State just peaks at the right time every year.

OP
J
Really too bad Lovett redshirted this year or I think Nebraska would really be contending for the title.
Ridge is a local kid. This area not terrible rich in D1 talent. But Adam Hall's dad is the local veterinarian. And Ridge is one of my favorites. He was scrappy from day 1. And I agree. Had he no shirted....and the Huskers don't throw in the towel on the back side....they take home one of the trophies.

OP
J
You know more than dick about wrestling with that post. I only say him wrestle once this season....Scuffle or CKLV finals. I do commend the kids for "staying home".

Ridge is a local kid. This area not terrible rich in D1 talent. But Adam Hall's dad is the local veterinarian. And Ridge is one of my favorites. He was scrappy from day 1. And I agree. Had he no shirted....and the Huskers don't throw in the towel on the back side....they take home one of the trophies.
At least by redshirting he'll have a better shot at a national title next year with Yianni graduating.

OP
J
I didn't forget about Alirez...but kinda did. He's another one of my favorites. Other than Levi Haines....he's the guy I would most like to see pull it off. He seems and talks like a Hood Rat....but he's gritty AF. Like a kid that was never given a thing. I would like to see his sweat pay off. He was super impressive in the Trials in Freestyle.

I generally bet AGAINST Penn State going into NCAAs. As a fan...I get nervous and scared. But Cael does keep those kids in a dark closet and feeds them gunpowder for two weeks. They just come out invincible. Heard a stat last night....PSU is 45-5 in the Semis in the last decade or so.

NC State is a Top 3 favorite team of mine. Pat Pop seems to put together a great team. Pennsylvania losing a lot of kids to other schools with Penn State being "full". NC State has a pretty good pipeline to PA.

I think Trent and Brooks are both bottom side, so high chance we see them Friday night.

Agree. Alirez was impressive in Big 12 tournament and so was Poulin. I'm really happy that Northern Colorado is well represented. I wrestled at UW in the 70's and we had good matches with UNC, CSU and CU. Now only UNC and WYO are still around (and AFA).
Poulin will be interesting to watch this tournament as the #6 seed. He's had a great freshman year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he knocked off the #3/#4 and #2 seeds to make the finals.

OP
J
Would love to see this too. Starocci is so good, but he could use a plate of humble pie.
Is he really THAT good tho?? My very good friend's son wrestled for Erie Prep with him. Said was never a team player. Never hung out with the team. Never cheered on his team. Or really put out to others. All about himself.

He just really kinda turns my stomach. I hope JB has enough gas left in his tank to turn him inside out a few times on the International mats before he leaves his shoes in the middle.

Where do you think Schultz fits in the mix? He's a bit of a wild card. He made the finals last year, but I don't think we've seen him wrestle the top Big Ten guys this year.