Little Known Fact about Bears

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I was researching bears and learned something interesting. Most people don't realize that bears shed their claws and grow new ones each winter. Usually this happens during hibernation. But sometimes you get lucky and find an early "shed" in the snow when it begins to melt. Scientists believe that bears hibernate as an adaptation to having no claws during the winter. Bears cannot hunt, fight or dig roots up without claws. If you do wake a clawless bear up it will always run away knowing it it vulnerable. Often the poor bear will trip and fall because its claws are not there to grip the ground. Legends of men wrestling bears probably originated from men teasing clawless bears. Just for the record they can still hit you very hard. All bears are wild animals and should be treated as dangerous.
Now that it is April I'm gearing up for bear season. Who knows I might get an early bear with no claws.

OP
Luke S

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe that is when guys like Davy Crockett did their bear wrestling?

go_deep

WKR
About 30 years ago back in Wisconsin I got my buddy good.
I have no idea what the plant was, but at a quick glance it look like a turkey beard, so we're walking around shed hunting finding nothing and I pick up one of these plants and say, hey found a shed. He comes over and can't figure out what the heck I'm holding, and I say, it's a turkey beard. I had him hook line and sinker. I'm sure he found out that I was full of crap later, but I never told him 🤣

bluekiss

FNG
Contrary to their appearance, they are extremely skittish and easily spooked. Of course they can be aggressive but if you catch one off guard, it will most likely run. Also, they are very curious and generally just big goofballs.