Cold Bore Challenge Q&A Thread

Brother, that’s part of the game.

I used the wrong pin on day one of the archery CBC—the equivalent of not dialing.

No shame man, get your entry in. You’ll likely not forget again...

Under our equipment failure rule, you can either 1) count that as a shot, or 2) forget it and start over.

Then get ready for your 2nd shot and nail it!
I appreciate it. I’ll think on it.

Geewhiz

WKR
That's a tough one. Hopefully gets fixed with out too much time/$$ needed.

I used to play the game of trying to get my Ultra7 snug but not too tight. Shot a long range class a couple years ago, instructor basically said he cranks his cans on as tight as he can. He'd rather have to get a strap wrench to get it off than have it work loose and affect POI or get a baffle strike.

I've adopted that, and now after getting it carbon locked on a mount once I've also adopted CLR-ing the can when needed.
Well, technically it wasn't b/c I was leary of overtightening. I had a helper this AM and so b/c of that I was not the one to put the suppressor on the rifle. Don't want to throw anybody under the bus b/c that person already feels sick about it, but it was my failure as I should have double checked/ didnt notice that the suppressor was (i assume) slid over the end of the brake but not actually threaded on. I suspect it bound up due to a cross thread and they thought it was fully seated.

In any event I just got off the phone with tbac and it sounds like they will be able to repair my mistake in a reasonable time at a reasonable cost without having to trash my serial number.

I appreciate the tip. I will have to adopt that.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Technically it wasnt b/c I was leary of overtightening. I had a helper this AM and so b/c of that I was not the one to put the suppressor on the rifle. Don't want to throw anybody under the bus b/c that person already feels sick about it, but it was my failure as I should have double checked/ didnt notice that the suppressor was (i assume) slid over the end of the brake but not actually threaded on. I suspect it bound up due to a cross thread and they thought it was fully seated.

In any event I just got off the phone with tbac and it sounds like they will be able to repair my mistake in a reasonable time at a reasonable cost without having to trash my serial number.

IDK if they changed the baffles between gen 1 and gen 2, or if you already had a gen 2, but might be a chance at a "forced upgrade"

Geewhiz

WKR
IDK if they changed the baffles between gen 1 and gen 2, or if you already had a gen 2, but might be a chance at a "forced upgrade"
Mine is a gen 1 and I want to say they did change the baffles. Not sure if they can still rebuild with the old baffles or not. Will cost more for a full rebuild as opposed to just replacingthe damaged baffles but might not be all bad in the long run. Its crazy quiet as it is.

Well this is where my cold bore story ends. Follow up from post 67. Took it out to 824 and the 10 minutes I spent trying to get the camera in focus the wind was dead calm and by the time I laid down I felt a light right to left breeze but like a dumbass I didn’t make an adjustment. So first shot just off left side corrected .2R and got it centered up. Had a great time with this challenge and seeing everyone’s submissions. Thanks to all that had a hand in getting this challenge stood up!

IMG_1234.jpeg

mcr-85

WKR
Well this is where my cold bore story ends. Follow up from post 67. Took it out to 824 and the 10 minutes I spent trying to get the camera in focus the wind was dead calm and by the time I laid down I felt a light right to left breeze but like a dumbass I didn’t make an adjustment. So first shot just off left side corrected .2R and got it centered up. Had a great time with this challenge and seeing everyone’s submissions. Thanks to all that had a hand in getting this challenge stood up!

View attachment 562843
I think you could have shot again tomorrow at 824. You don't have to hit the target to shoot the 4th day. Right? You qualified to go further than 600. Shoot again tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I think you could have shot again tomorrow at 824. You don't have to hit the target to shoot the 4th day. Right? You qualified to go further than 600. Shoot again tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
That is correct I could have shot tomorrow after missing today if I wouldn’t have shot the second time but I have a new shooter coming out tomorrow and matches the next 3 weekends so I’m going to be shooting a lot which I feel like takes away the from what the cold bore challenge is meant for so I went ahead and took a follow up shot tonight and called it good.

lak2004

WKR
Post # 34 day 2 is up. I'll upload the video later. Realized when I went to repaint the target that my day 1 hit was lower and left than I originally thought so I'm out for going beyond 600. Oh well, it was fun and I'll push it more on my own.

Day 2 in red, day 1 in blue.
877dd00ec4b8915848c3aba0d46854ed.jpg

Ucsdryder

WKR
Well, technically it wasn't b/c I was leary of overtightening. I had a helper this AM and so b/c of that I was not the one to put the suppressor on the rifle. Don't want to throw anybody under the bus b/c that person already feels sick about it, but it was my failure as I should have double checked/ didnt notice that the suppressor was (i assume) slid over the end of the brake but not actually threaded on. I suspect it bound up due to a cross thread and they thought it was fully seated.

Will you keep us updated.

In my experience with TBAC CS, they’ve been awesome.

Geewhiz

WKR
Will you keep us updated.

In my experience with TBAC CS, they’ve been awesome.
Will do.

Talked to a gentlemen right when they opened this morning. Great to talk to and did what he could to try to make me feel less like an idiot. He said as long as the outer tube isn't bulged it is salvageable. I did not mic the diameter but it does not appear to be bulged. Gave me a rundown on what they needed paperwork wise and said send it in, so its already on its way to Wyoming.

He told me at the moment they are pretty well caught up on repair work so turn around time should only be about 2-3 weeks which really surprised me as I was preparing myself to be without it for a year if it was even salvageable. Cost to repair obviously depends on what they find during their inspection but worst case scenario if every baffle is blown to crap and they have to recore the entire thing he told me ***when I asked for ballpark numbers that I wouldnt hold him to*** around $1200 ish give or take. He said most commonly when people have a baffle strike it consists of replacing the end cap and a baffle or two, and we're looking at a few hundred bucks or so. I did not take the time to clean the mud and carbon out of it to inspect the full extent of the damage but based on the end cap I'm thinking it may be more than just a baffle or two.

Either way as soon as it happened I'm thinking I'm out $1900 + $200 stamp plus a year of waiting, so worst case still is great news.

heck maybe I should just start a thread that I can update

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve been rushing to get this new rifle finished and my dope for it confirmed since this started. I was finally ok with sending it from what I had seen so far and the rifle is shooting well.

Today I made the mistake I’ve never made before on a cold bore shot. The morning was perfect, the wind call was small (NNW at 4 gusting to I’ll guess 7-10). I took my time felt fantastic and proceeded to take a beautiful shot into the dirt as I watched my impact at 200 yards below a 600 yard plate.

I forgot to dial elevation.

I don’t think I deserve to be included in the raffle due to it, but I do deserve the shame, so I’ll post it here. I’m glad the mistake I made wouldn’t have injured something in a field scenario, but that hurts the soul.

Hopefully this will help me in the future!
You want to hear stupid?

I was at a fellow roksliders place and we loaded my stuff up in his rig to go up the hill to attempt a shot last night if the fog lifted. Got up there, I was getting stuff ready cause there wouldn't be much time to shoot if it cleared before it socked in again. I had grabbed 1 bullet from my ammo box at my truck to bring up, had put it in the top of my bino harness, so while I am getting the gear ready for a possible shot, I look for the bullet and it is gone, looking and looking in the yard sale of a back seat and nothing. We give up, fog doesn't lift, go back down the hill and there it is fell out 3' behind my rig.

STUPID

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You want to hear stupid?

I was at a fellow roksliders place and we loaded my stuff up in his rig to go up the hill to attempt a shot last night if the fog lifted. Got up there, I was getting stuff ready cause there wouldn't be much time to shoot if it cleared before it socked in again. I had grabbed 1 bullet from my ammo box at my truck to bring up, had put it in the top of my bino harness, so while I am getting the gear ready for a possible shot, I look for the bullet and it is gone, looking and looking in the yard sale of a back seat and nothing. We give up, fog doesn't lift, go back down the hill and there it is fell out 3' behind my rig.

STUPID

Hmmmmm…

8D7ABEBD-BB26-4EDB-BAA7-A658E7370F5F.jpeg

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
I think I might have unfortunately claimed the title of king bone head.

Just got home from spending 3 hours (11-2am) at my shooting spot looking for my binos.

As best I can remember/piece together I think I put my Sig 10ks on my rear bumper and in the process of taking targets down and putting everything up forgot them and drove off Thursday evening. Spent tonight retracing my path, walking ditches, and combing through grass.

If anyone in the North Colorado Pawnee Grasslands area finds, hears about, or sees any 10ks for sale please let me know haha.

Idk if I want to laugh, puke, or maybe both…

280Ackley

WKR
I
I think I might have unfortunately claimed the title of king bone head.

Just got home from spending 3 hours (11-2am) at my shooting spot looking for my binos.

As best I can remember/piece together I think I put my Sig 10ks on my rear bumper and in the process of taking targets down and putting everything up forgot them and drove off Thursday evening. Spent tonight retracing my path, walking ditches, and combing through grass.

If anyone in the North Colorado Pawnee Grasslands area finds, hears about, or sees any 10ks for sale please let me know haha.

Idk if I want to laugh, puke, or maybe both…
I feel your pain. Couple years ago I was headed out for a deer hunt and saw a few deer in the backyard. As I was looking at them my wife pulls up. I head over to help unbuckle the little ones out of their car seats. I set my binos on top of her car while grabbing my then 2 year old. My wife says she is going to head to over to the school to pick up our son. She heads out with my binos on top of her car!! Didn’t deer hunt that evening and the only sign I found of them were one lens cover about a 1/4 mile from the high school before the highway.

Man I 2nd guessed my wind call.
And completely missed my 18" wide plate.

Dialed the wind back out and made a follow up hit.
This is my day 4
So the follow up was for me not the challenge.

Called no wind at target but second guessed myself at the shooting spot.
Called 5mph right to left and dialed .5 mils.
Completely missed my 18" target.
I had to take the wind out and make a follow up.
20230610_082529.jpg

Antares

WKR
Any idea how many spots are left? I might be able to shoot Tuesday morning. Our wx has been trash.