Alpha Upgrade: Leica Noctovid & Swaro EL/NLs?

KenLee

WKR
I did use the 10x32 NL’s for a season. They are fantastic. Tripod use is in no way a limiting feature of them, atleast when using with the Aziak clamp. The only time I found them to be lacking is in dim light. I could use them fine, but the small exit pupil made them a little hard to align both eyes and I found myself messing with the diopter more than I wanted to.
I ended up switching to the 10x42’s for low light performance. However I do seem to enjoy the view through them just a bit more, even at other times of the day. In actual use I don’t really notice the 8 oz weight increase. I enjoy glassing a lot and the increased viewing pleasure is worth it to me.
Low light performance and absence of showing my shakiness paired me with 8x42 NLs.

I personally love Leica glass. The colors are fantastic and they handle glare much better than Swaro's.
However they are still in the 90's with their ergonomics & design. Handling is very important to me. If you hold a pair of NL's and Noctivid's side by side, you will see what I mean. NL's for me.
If Leica could come out with a bigger FOV in a 10x42 or 12x42, and a little more ergonomic, it would give the NL's a run for their money

KenLee

WKR
If Leica could come out with a bigger FOV in a 10x42 or 12x42, and a little more ergonomic, it would give the NL's a run for their money
I also love the Leica glass and have 5 Leica scope that I never intend to sell.
When I was looking to pay up for binoculars, I wasn't sure they'd be worth the $ to me and I'd end up selling them. Swaro resale value is better than Leica from what I've seen. That was my reason for going with NLs.
I now enjoy the extra minutes I get to see and wish I'd bought alpha binocs 10 yrs ago.

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
This is extremly helpful. I wasn't considering Victory SFs but sounds like I should at least get a pair to look through.

Thanks to everyone for offering opinions and your insights - all of the things that each individual notes helps give me a little more basis for comparison to side by side some.

I preferred the SFs over the NLs. When I first look at alpha binos this spring I was blown away by NLs and thought the Leicas and Zeiss weren’t in the same category. After months of reading and research on all 3 i went back and did it again and was blown away by the SFs. The NLs were a close second but the feel and handling on the SF put them over the top. So I bought em.

Sometimes I think we get it in our head what the “best” is based on everything we hear and read. And going and trying them out you subconsciously know what you’re going to choose before you ever look. I had it in my head Swarovski was better than anything, period. And for some it is. Some it isn’t. It wasn’t until I went in with zero preconceived notions that I found what was best to my eyes.