Monarch HG vs Geovid R - Rethinking “near-alpha” binos

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
This worked like a champ. Took a bit of getting used to - but, as you stated, I prefer this method now. Added bonus, it seems to be faster.

Of note - I tried this technique on a recent SLC purchase and prefer your method the SLCs as well. Thank you again.

Good to hear.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
The new geovids are awesome! They are well worth the new price versus a used model. I don’t think there is anything on the market that touches them for overall value. The glass is a good bit better than the old model and the lazer is so much better. You won’t go wrong.

I dont know if its just me but I went to Cabela's today kinda set on buying the Geovid R's - the red yardage display was really weak. Of course the guy didnt know what he was doing but agreed it was hard to see the display. Did we miss the adjustment or are these just that way? They are REALLY poor when compared to the Vortex display on Fury or Razor 4000.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I dont know if its just me but I went to Cabela's today kinda set on buying the Geovid R's - the red yardage display was really weak. Of course the guy didnt know what he was doing but agreed it was hard to see the display. Did we miss the adjustment or are these just that way? They are REALLY poor when compared to the Vortex display on Fury or Razor 4000.
Likely the battery was almost dead. That’s the only time my two pairs have been faint, right at the end of the battery.

Mine auto dim, the brightness is fine.

OP
M

Mr Xv3

FNG
I spent some time today comparing them to my Nikons.

For a comparison sake, the benchmark(s) were 10x Nikon LX L (HG predecessor) and EDG. In my Geovid-R example:

When viewing close objects, the depth of field was a bit more restrictive on the Geovids than Nikons, yet at range 300m+ I didn’t notice a significant disparity between the LX Ls and Leicas. The EDG was a bit better…

CA was acceptable - not as good as the EDGs, but not bad at all.

Edge to edge on my Geovids was pretty good - compatible to the LX L - the Leicas , however, are noticeably more sensitive to correct eye relief. Once the eyecups were set, the view was actually quite good.

Of note, my example appears to have some dust between the objective lens and the focusing lens on the left barrel… I wasn’t able to notice it while glassing, but I’m going to have Leica correct it.

LRF performance is solid on my example.

More to follow once I have more time behind the glass.
As a follow up - the Binos are back from Leica and look immaculate. Hope to get them out a bit more this week.

The process to/from Leica was painless.