Upgrading from Vortex to Swaro - Why?

Stalker69

WKR
Here is an extreme example on elk, although I agree they are easy to find compared to deer in my experience. I spotted this bull with my SLC’s then got the photo with my spotter. I noticed the color contrast in the burn he was bedded in, I don’t think I would have seen it with cheap binos. I had a razor spotter prior to my STX and the color contrast is much better with the swaro.

c0e3137344858e3f83bed095d815997e.jpg

7e72f902484ae0353d3f52a61524c424.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn, hopefully that looked alot clearer through your spotter then that picture looks, you could just as well said big foot.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy fellas,

Need some guidance on optics and the reasons folks would upgrade. I’ve been unsuccessfully hunting elk in CO for the last 5 years and will be moving to WY in the next month or so. I currently use a set of Vortex Viper HD 10x50s and paid about $300 for them a few years ago. I’ve really enjoyed them and find them to be pretty good optically, but I’ve never owned a better set of binos. I’ve been told a million times that NL Pures from Swaro are the gold standard but have never felt like spending the $ to upgrade as I don’t really find critters as is to hunt. However, Swaro has a pretty good sale until the end of the year and I’m curious if this would be a good time to buy.

So my question for y’all is this:

If you weren’t successful at finding elk in the first place, does purchasing a Tier 1 Bino make sense? I’ve heard that people like the superb glass for identifying trophy quality on Mule Deer (which I hunt more as a side thing once done with elk) but is it necessary for elk? I figure if I ever did run into them, even my Vipers could spot and animal that large.

Would love it if y’all could drop some knowledge on me about why it would or wouldn’t be beneficial to upgrade.

Thanks!
With my old Swarovski's, I can glass long enough to find critters.

I recently made the same decision. I'm getting a pair of NL pures, they're just too good. Plus Swaro has their 75th anniversary sale going on right now! Got the NL 10x42s at $500 off

Flazyj

FNG
I bite the bullet and bought the Swaro’s about 7 years ago. I think it improved my glassing like others have mentioned, by lessening eye fatigue. Now I need to upgrade my spotter!

I upgraded from 10x50 vortex UHD to NL Pure 10x42. The big difference that makes the swaros so much better is also the increase in FOV and brightness. This can really help you trace movement when scanning an area. They are expensive, I recommend checking out camera shops and trying to get in touch with their buyers. If you can talk directly to one they can usually get you a discount. Might save you one or two hundred bucks. I still have my vortex and will never get rid of them. I like to keep them in my car in case I come upon any interesting birds. Much like what people are saying though, depending on your situation there may be better things you can invest in for success. However, I will say that as expensive as premium glass is, I have never regretted investing in it.

PS I also got the headrest for the NL Pures and really enjoy it.

OP
Fever Buck
I upgraded from 10x50 vortex UHD to NL Pure 10x42. The big difference that makes the swaros so much better is also the increase in FOV and brightness. This can really help you trace movement when scanning an area. They are expensive, I recommend checking out camera shops and trying to get in touch with their buyers. If you can talk directly to one they can usually get you a discount. Might save you one or two hundred bucks. I still have my vortex and will never get rid of them. I like to keep them in my car in case I come upon any interesting birds. Much like what people are saying though, depending on your situation there may be better things you can invest in for success. However, I will say that as expensive as premium glass is, I have never regretted investing in it.

PS I also got the headrest for the NL Pures and really enjoy it.
Thanks. I was able to snag a pair from Natchez for $2500. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Should get them this coming week and will update the thread with my thoughts compared to my Vipers. Also plan to keep the vipers as a backup for the truck.

4th_point

WKR
I "downgraded" from Swarovski a few times.

Short story:

Once simply due to cost vs optics. Twice due to glare or stray light control issues.

Long story:

First was 10-15 years ago with the latest and greatest 8x30 SLC. The overall image didn't agree with my eyes, but I also saw a lot of reflections and glare. Internal, and external off of the ocular.

Most recently with the 42mm SLC HD. Like CA, once I see glare it drives me nuts especially for the money invested. Otherwise, I really liked the latest SLC.

I tried the EL and NL but they seemed worse for me. In side by side comparison, the SFL handled stray light really well but not perfect. I have a big 50mm binoc that I have to work really hard to get any glare, but I want the same from a 30-42mm. I'm still looking!

That doesn't detract from the positive qualities of the SLC, EL, and NL. They are all really nice. However if we are being honest, they are not perfect. For birders looking up into trees, it's not hard to imagine a backlit tree causing glare. For hunters, peering into a shady hillside with rising sun behind it can be futile with some optics. I experienced this every morning on a hunt, looking on the dark side of a huge mountain. The rising sun would wash out the image, and there was no shade unless I made it myself or hiked a long distance into the shadow of the mountain.

I have gotten to the point where resolution and FOV are still very important but if I can't see due to veiling glare or whiteout, then it makes no difference! I was obsessed with resolution first, and FOV second, but have come to realize that there is more to it than that.

I really enjoy the beautiful image from Swarovski more than any other brand by a mile, but it's like a fishing lure that catches fishermen to me. I need a more well rounded optic, for my needs. I suspect that many people don't notice the glare, or simply accept it in exchange for all the positive attributes.

ETA - You can mitigate some of the glare by eye positioning but that doesn't always work with quick glances, especially in a hurry with one hand trying to get a fleeting glance. Or by shading the ocular, but that is not always easy. I tried a 7x28 last week for the first time and there was no way that I could avoid the glare, and I was mostly shaded. Very frustrating!

Last edited:

JGRaider

WKR
I just got my hands on a Razor UHD 8x32. It is optically every bit what my 8x42 SLC is with better glare control, a better focus mechanism, less CA, and a much wider FOV that is uber -sharp until the very last 10% of the edge of FOV. Build quality is superb.

4th_point

WKR
I just got my hands on a Razor UHD 8x32. It is optically every bit what my 8x42 SLC is with better glare control, a better focus mechanism, less CA, and a much wider FOV that is uber -sharp until the very last 10% of the edge of FOV. Build quality is superb.

Outstanding, JGR. This is great news.

I know how much you appreciate the last SLC overall.

Wide FOV and good glare control, especially for a 32mm, is a bit of a unicorn!

OP
Fever Buck
I "downgraded" from Swarovski a few times.

Short story:

Once simply due to cost vs optics. Twice due to glare or stray light control issues.

Long story:

First was 10-15 years ago with the latest and greatest 8x30 SLC. The overall image didn't agree with my eyes, but I also saw a lot of reflections and glare. Internal, and external off of the ocular.

Most recently with the 42mm SLC HD. Like CA, once I see glare it drives me nuts especially for the money invested. Otherwise, I really liked the latest SLC.

I tried the EL and NL but they seemed worse for me. In side by side comparison, the SFL handled stray light really well but not perfect. I have a big 50mm binoc that I have to work really hard to get any glare, but I want the same from a 30-42mm. I'm still looking!

That doesn't detract from the positive qualities of the SLC, EL, and NL. They are all really nice. However if we are being honest, they are not perfect. For birders looking up into trees, it's not hard to imagine a backlit tree causing glare. For hunters, peering into a shady hillside with rising sun behind it can be futile with some optics. I experienced this every morning on a hunt, looking on the dark side of a huge mountain. The rising sun would wash out the image, and there was no shade unless I made it myself or hiked a long distance into the shadow of the mountain.

I have gotten to the point where resolution and FOV are still very important but if I can't see due to veiling glare or whiteout, then it makes no difference! I was obsessed with resolution first, and FOV second, but have come to realize that there is more to it than that.

I really enjoy the beautiful image from Swarovski more than any other brand by a mile, but it's like a fishing lure that catches fishermen to me. I need a more well rounded optic, for my needs. I suspect that many people don't notice the glare, or simply accept it in exchange for all the positive attributes.

ETA - You can mitigate some of the glare by eye positioning but that doesn't always work with quick glances, especially in a hurry with one hand trying to get a fleeting glance. Or by shading the ocular, but that is not always easy. I tried a 7x28 last week for the first time and there was no way that I could avoid the glare, and I was mostly shaded. Very frustrating!
Interesting. You're the first person I’ve seen talk about swaro glare. I’ll need to do some digging on that.

4th_point

WKR
Interesting. You're the first person I’ve seen talk about swaro glare. I’ll need to do some digging on that.

You don't need to believe me or anyone else - go see for yourself!

It has been mentioned by astute users of optics. There are design reasons for it, but that's beyond my realm of expertise.

See if it matters to you or not. There's no right or wrong answer, just that they are not perfect or the best for everyone. This is contrary to what some like to claim.

I was on the fence about the SFL and went to look one more time last week, and confirmed how well it does with stray light. The NL was noticeably worse outdoors. Interestingly, just in the showroom the NL showed weird reflections from the indoor lighting. Yeah, indoors isn't where I use binoculars but it's still a light source. And outdoors the SFL was better, but I didn't buy those either!

JGRaider

WKR
Love me some Swaro binoculars, and have a 10x50 EL SV as well that I've had for at least 10 years. I will say though, it's a good thing the RS diehards haven't come up with a binocular drop test they worship like the riflescope one. Swaro doesn't make the toughest, most durable binoculars out there by any stretch.

I ditched the spotter awhile ago maybe going to get one soon. I upgraded to 12x42 NLs 2 years ago from 12x50 razor's. You can see a substantial difference even on a clear day let alone dusk and dawn. Leica, Swaro, and Ziess all make good glass. My wife hates the razors so might be selling and getting her swaros or the image stabilizing sigs.

I don’t carry a spotter, but it depends on how picky you are on class of animals. I did carry a 65atx on a goat and sheep hunt last year. Even at 60 power stuff gets blurry, but it did make the difference on aging rams and determining Billy or nanny on goats. Antelope spotter might pay off deer and elk I just don’t see the need myself unless glassing huge burns or wide open. Lot of weight that isn’t essential without a special tag