Upgrading from Vortex to Swaro - Why?

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
My path with Binos has been a set of 10x42 vipers which I ran for 5yrs and never liked. Then I upgraded those for a set of 12x50 razor hd and that was a big step up. Soon after I got a deal on a set of 10x42 SLC and picked those up too. The razors are nice but even with the extra magnification they’re not as clear to focus and see as the slc at long ranges.

So now the razors ride on the dash in my pickup and the slc are in my hunting bino harness. If budgets allow go with the swaros.

OP
Fever Buck
Well, turns out the Aziak mount doesn’t work as well as I’d hoped for the NL Pure. Anyone got a better recommendation? The RRS Cinch looks interesting.

NeedleCrook

Lil-Rokslider
I put the wiser precision sparrow on my NL 12’s. It works well. But it does put a downward kick on the mount because of the ergonomics. You could always mount it towards the end of the objective.

Only really an issue if you’re wanting to swap back and forth from a straight spotter- which I am. So not sure how I want to proceed

Attachments

• IMG_6010.jpeg
    IMG_6010.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
Fever Buck
I put the wiser precision sparrow on my NL 12’s. It works well. But it does put a downward kick on the mount because of the ergonomics. You could always mount it towards the end of the objective.

Only really an issue if you’re wanting to swap back and forth from a straight spotter- which I am. So not sure how I want to proceed
Thanks. I’m gonna try to get the aziak towards the front of the barrel and see how it works with that. If not, I’ll probably go with the Wiser.

OP
Fever Buck
Quick update on the comparison: I live next to a mountain on the front range and have for the last 4 years. Never seen deer there, ever. Last evening during my first 5 minutes of using the NLs I spotted 2 does and 3 fawns. The mountain is about 1.5 miles from my house as the crow flies. The biggest difference seems to be the more intense colors as compared to the viper as well as a decent resolution upgrade.

This morning I brought them out to the same spot and watched a bedded doe flick her ear from 1.5 miles out. Very impressed so far. I do think someone who has seen lots of deer/elk and knows what to look for would have seen them with the Vipers but someone like me who hasn’t had any real success in the field and has had minimal time spent observing them wouldn’t have picked them out as easy or at all.

Again, this could all be coincidence, but I found deer that I’ve never seen with my Vipers the first time I picked up the NLs. Hopefully the trend continues.

JGRaider

WKR
So you're comparing a $2500 binocular at 12x to a $400 10x binocular and you're surprised the Swaro is better? What did you expect?

OP
Fever Buck
So you're comparing a $2500 binocular at 12x to a $400 10x binocular and you're surprised the Swaro is better? What did you expect?
Your critical reading skills are lacking. Go ahead and re-read what I wrote.

A few folks asked me to follow up on my thoughts. Both 10x magnification. Never said I was surprised it was better.

4th_point

WKR
This morning I brought them out to the same spot and watched a bedded doe flick her ear from 1.5 miles out.

I do think someone who has seen lots of deer/elk and knows what to look for would have seen them with the Vipers but someone like me who hasn’t had any real success in the field and has had minimal time spent observing them wouldn’t have picked them out as easy or at all.

Again, this could all be coincidence, but I found deer that I’ve never seen with my Vipers the first time I picked up the NLs. Hopefully the trend continues.

I think you are approaching it with a decent perspective.

Are you sure about seeing the ear flick at 1.5 miles though, with a 10x?

Just keep in mind that a pleasing image (i.e. from NL) may encourage one to view more. Viewing more may reveal more. Seeing more increases confidence. More use, due to confidence, may improve competence.

And that doesn't factor in the psychology of justifying a big purchase price.

That stated, I feel that enjoying the view of an optic can be priceless even if you might see the same with a lower quality device.

OP
Fever Buck
I think you are approaching it with a decent perspective.

Are you sure about seeing the ear flick at 1.5 miles though, with a 10x?

Just keep in mind that a pleasing image (i.e. from NL) may encourage one to view more. Viewing more may reveal more. Seeing more increases confidence. More use, due to confidence, may improve competence.

And that doesn't factor in the psychology of justifying a big purchase price.

That stated, I feel that enjoying the view of an optic can be priceless even if you might see the same with a lower quality device.
Yeah, I 100% saw the ear flick. Saw the flash of white/gray and everything around her was totally still except the flicking movement. Also helped that she was in front of green sage brush so I’m sure I probably wouldn’t have seen it against a brown/gray backdrop.

OP
Fever Buck
PS - how is the glare with the NL?
I actually didn’t notice it yet, but definitely need to spend more time behind it. I may just not know what to look for. Only have about 1.5 hours behind it so far.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I think this is OBE ish now because he’s got some binos. But if others read, I have compared probably 20 pairs now fairly objectively at short and long ranges using charts. Also spent many days behind cheaper and alpha binos in the field.

Yes Swaro are better. But what that is “worth” to the user is a different story.

I’ve found the center resolution from the Vipers to even the NLs is very close. The picture is better overall on the Swaro but they both read within a few resolution elements of each other (I.e. not mud…at least in the center). Both will spot game.

What does change is the edge to edge clarity (and then effectively the FOV) and the colors between them. Swaro has been the best in these aspects from my experience. Edge to edge suffers approximately 20% from the vipers and gets closer with the razors and very close with UHDs.

Is that $2k price bump worth that? I don’t know. I own NLs now (went vipers, meostars, ELs, NLs) but only because I am a gear junky and can afford it now. I don’t feel I see anymore game, but in my head I tell myself that to justify the decision to drop the coin….and surely it doesn’t hurt any.

OP
Fever Buck
I think this is OBE ish now because he’s got some binos. But if others read, I have compared probably 20 pairs now fairly objectively at short and long ranges using charts. Also spent many days behind cheaper and alpha binos in the field.

Yes Swaro are better. But what that is “worth” to the user is a different story.

I’ve found the center resolution from the Vipers to even the NLs is very close. The picture is better overall on the Swaro but they both read within a few resolution elements of each other (I.e. not mud…at least in the center). Both will spot game.

What does change is the edge to edge clarity (and then effectively the FOV) and the colors between them. Swaro has been the best in these aspects from my experience. Edge to edge suffers approximately 20% from the vipers and gets closer with the razors and very close with UHDs.

Is that $2k price bump worth that? I don’t know. I own NLs now (went vipers, meostars, ELs, NLs) but only because I am a gear junky and can afford it now. I don’t feel I see anymore game, but in my head I tell myself that to justify the decision to drop the coin….and surely it doesn’t hurt any.
Yeah, I don’t think the resolution is crazy different. My company comped $2k of the cost for me, so I only ended up paying $600 for them total. It’s just a nicer overall viewing experience.