Monarch HG vs Geovid R - Rethinking “near-alpha” binos

Mr Xv3

FNG
In the not too distant past, I posted looking for suggestions for sub-$1500 “near-alpha” 10x42 Binos - an heir apparent to the much loved Swaro SLC.

Many exceptional suggestions emerged from that thread, to include the Zeiss SFLs, Kahles Helia S (euro only repackaged SLC), and the Nikon Monarch HG… plus Meoptas and Kowa XD.

After some very thoughtful comments and a very favorable impression of a pair of Nikon Premiers (purchased thru Rokslide), settled on the Monarch HGs. In the process of my search and thinking thru shot side of the equation, I’m now leaning towards simplifying my life and simply getting some range finding Binos.

Conducting some analysis on how I hunt, separate RF and Binos started making less sense. Plus, there is the potential to save a little real estate in the chest rig.

My current plan has me considering the Leica Geovid R 10x42, Meopta Optika LR 10x42, and GPO RangeGuide (only offer 10x32 or 10x50).

I prefer using app based ballistics so the basic RF capability of the Geovid R will be fine. Plus, the opportunity to potentially save (or not gain) some weight (~7-10oz plus pouch) is attractive.

I am leaning towards the Geovid R. Certainly, mounting the Binos on a tripod gets a bit less elegant vs Monarch HG or SLCs w/ studs, but there are options that are acceptable.

I included a table comparing specs of some of the “near-alpha” contenders vs the Geovid R for anyone interested…

From the experienced western elk crowd - I’d love to hear your thoughts - is the logic sound?

Bino comparison

Nikon MHGHelia S (SLC)Zeiss SFLLeica Geovid R
Price~$950~$1450~$1550~$1400
PrismDach RoofRoof (S/P)Roof (S/P)Mod Uppendahl
Zoom10x10x10x10x
Obj Dia42 mm42mm40mm42 mm
Exit Pupil4.2 mm4.2mm4.0mm4.2 mm
Eye Rel17.0 mm15.8 mm18mm14.5 mm
Rel Brightness17.617.641617.6
Twilight Factor20.520.492020.5
FOV @1000m121m (362 ft)110m (330ft)115 m (345 ft) 110m (330 ft)
Angular FOV6.9 deg6.3 deg6.2 deg6.3 deg
Light Trans (adv)91%90%
Dimensions145x131x56mm(5.7x5.2x2.2”)144x120x63mm (5.7x4.7x2.5”)144x114x60mm(5.7x4.5x2.4”)168x125x70mm (6.6x4.9x2.8”)
Weight680g (24 oz)785g (27.7 oz)640g (22.6 oz)955g (33.7 oz)

handwerk

WKR
I've not seen the Nikons but have been using the Geovids ( HD-R 10x42) for many years and continue to be impressed.
For western rifle hunting I don't ever see going back to 2 separate tools.

OP
M

Mr Xv3

FNG
I've not seen the Nikons but have been using the Geovids ( HD-R 10x42) for many years and continue to be impressed.
For western rifle hunting I don't ever see going back to 2 separate tools.
Thank you for the insight - appreciated!

Beendare

WKR
I used the original Geovids for about 7 years- I can't comment on the newer models.

I can tell you I prefer a Bino with a separate RF over one with an integrated RF.

I bowhunt. There are a couple minor factors;
I don't like the extra weight of the RF Leicas. I also find I like to have the separate RF on a stalk.

Then the big deal for me was; The model I had only guaranteed the RF for 5 years. I didn't want to be stuck with a heavy Bino and non functioning RF...so I sold them for what I paid 7 years later.

If the guarantee has changed- its not a big deal either way.

Now when it comes to Non Alpha;
I swear my 15x Meoptas were a tad better than the Swaro 15x. [my buddy with the Swaros didn't think so- grin]

I know a guy that says his Kowas are as good as Swaros. I own the Nikon EDG and seen the HG....and they are as good as anything I've seen for clarity and view.

I have had the benefit of comparing a lot of buddies Optics in the field. Besides the above a couple notables; The Zeiss Victories and the Swaro NL are phenomenal- along with the Leica Noctovids are truly world class. Nothing I've seen is as good as those and a guy would be hard pressed to pick a winner.

The Vortex UHD's surprised me- very good in fact I swapped out my 15x Meoptas for a set of the 18x UHDS....their Vipers, and Kaibabs were a big disappointment.

The Kowa's and the Mavens were surprising for second tier binos. The Kowa scope could be the best I've seen.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
I picked up some 8x32 Sig Kilo 6k a few months back. They are really good IMO for the price. And only 25oz if I recall. Used them for a shooting course and they spit the truth every time. I think they’d be cool for limited glassing opportunities hunt.

Cameraland has some for $850 right now. Solid deal.

I picked up some 8x32 Sig Kilo 6k a few months back. They are really good IMO for the price. And only 23oz if I recall. Used them for a shooting course and they spit the truth every time. I think they’d be cool for limited glassing opportunities hunt.
How did you like the glass on those? I tried them @ the store but I wasn't blown away. Then again it was just looking across the store

Tahoe1305

WKR
How did you like the glass on those? I tried them @ the store but I wasn't blown away. Then again it was just looking across the store
I thought they were really good for the $$. Not going to be alpha with a laser.

But only compact laser units I’m aware of. FOV is awesome. Center thread for tripod is nice. I didn’t notice a blue tint on the compact versions (some mention on full size).

I don’t think I’ll be missing any game inside of 1000yds or so. Outside of that I guess I’ll have my 12x ELs. Most of my hunts aren’t that though.

I ordered some 10x42 Geovid Rs - back order. Hopefully they get here before season.
Hey I just ordered a pair (so stoked!!!) off optics planet and it said three left in stock. So you could probably cancel that backorder and get em from there!

rcook10

WKR
I run kilo 6k 10x42s for general glassing and ranging, a set of maven 18x for picking country and infrequently a spotter for long work/digiscoping. Having a single 10x/8x rangfinding bino was so worth it in my mind.