Alpha Upgrade: Leica Noctovid & Swaro EL/NLs?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Read quite a few older leica reviews and threads as well as lots of gushing over the new NLs. I use Maven B1.2 10x binos right now. The view is extremely nice, but I struggle a bit with blackouts (B2s were more forgiving in that regard) in the image edges and have to be very careful with bino setup to help alleviate this. I think I'm ready to plunge for alpha binos and primarily considering subject units in 10x.

Having read enough (lots on Birdforum, seems like swaro is general preference there) to understand spec differences as well as percieved image, build quality and warranty differences - for those that have used both/one/similar, looking for some input on picking one and why (so the subjective stuff). I very much notice CA so a bit concerned with Leica, not sure if that is overblown or not? Is Leica build quality appreciably better? Is the Leica image experience worth the reduced FOV? That kind of stuff.

I bow/rifle hunt, both open country and timber here in Montana. Traveling to AK as a +1 with friend hunting goats next year so thinking on upgrade prior to that trip.

As long as you don't get motion sickness from Swarovision, go in this order IMO

Swaro NL 12x
Swaro NL 10x
Leica Noctovid 10x

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
You simply have to look through them. All the alpha glass renders colors differently and the view is different though them. One will be your favorite and no-one here can tell you which.
Maybe I need to re-phrase: I'm curious why others have picked NL or EL over Leica or vice versa, just to learn from and understand what to look for, etc. I absolutely think the final decision is me and my preferences, but it's nice to hear about what people might have noticed when performing a similar exercise, or things the differentiate the two.

Example: this seems like a very good run down for trying to decide what is important in particular to me.

I'm thinking about renting them to side by side for a couple days with my Mavens to understand the image differences, because my local shops do not have Leica Noctovids or Ultravids, and looking at them for 5 min in a store or parking lots is different from spending time behind them side by side. Perhaps this is the only reasonable way.

Marshfly

WKR
Maybe I need to re-phrase: I'm curious why others have picked NL or EL over Leica or vice versa, just to learn from and understand what to look for, etc. I absolutely think the final decision is me and my preferences, but it's nice to hear about what people might have noticed when performing a similar exercise, or things the differentiate the two.

Example: this seems like a very good run down for trying to decide what is important in particular to me.

I'm thinking about renting them to side by side for a couple days with my Mavens to understand the image differences, because my local shops do not have Leica Noctovids or Ultravids, and looking at them for 5 min in a store or parking lots is different from spending time behind them side by side. Perhaps this is the only reasonable way.
I went EL 10x42. I did not see a big enough improvement to move up to the NLS for the cost. It's been a year now but I remember thinking the Leica's seemed "darker" and colors did not pop as well. I did not try the Zeiss as they were not in stock at the store I was at.

I tried them all outside at Bob Wards in Missoula. There is plenty of mountainside from 1000 yards out to multiple miles to look at to form an opinion from the front of the store and the employee was super excited to go outside with me and play with stuff since they rarely get to do it.

Marshfly

WKR
Another thing, if you join the discount club at Bob Wards you will drop your jaw at the price any of these ring up at. I paid less for mine than used ones were going for at the time.

I picked nL 12s as I enjoy 12s and having the field of view of a 10 was no brained. Really was set on el 12s but they did give me the rolling ball more than NLs. Noctovids are awesome too. I love the Leica colors. If noctovids were 12s I pry would’ve done them. Ultravids eye relief was good for me but wife with glasses she was too far out and got dark spots.

You have a tough decision looking at 10s once you put noctovids up against NLs. Good luck and love whatever purchase you choose!

Wrench

WKR
I have the noctovid and 15x Swarovski. I have always found the leica to be warmer than the Swarovski and to me it helps with the muted tones on critters we hunt. Birders want a cooler to neutral tone.

You won't be disappointed in either....but it's totally subjective. I tripped edg's to go to the noctovid after tripping the trinovids for the edg. I also have meopta and toric schott for comparison and the noctovid are simply what I like.

Please don’t base optics buying decisions on what others post on the web or the spec sheet. Well-known reviewers, BirdForum, and Rokslide are a great place to begin to ID high performing candidates for consideration and some of their characteristics (all reviewers have their own biases, including me). However, what will be most pleasing in image, haptics and handling will vary a lot from person to person. Everyone has preferences and only direct experience will identify them. Take the time & pain to sample them - it is absolutely worth it. A great example is comparing my NL Pure to my Victory SF. Both are absolutely spectacular but comparison is difficult to describe as they are so very different. The spec sheet never tells the whole story.

Since others have chimed in, my personal ratings are:

1. NL Pure and Victory SF are a dead-heat. I love them both and which one I’d reach for depends on the specific hunt. If honestly glassing from a tripod the vast majority of the time = NL. If more hand-held use (mobile type hunt, spot-stalk, forest, etc) = SF. Overall, while under certain conditions the NL may appear to have a very slight edge in contrast (maybe due to color contrast) and FOV, I generally find the SF view easier and more pleasing. The SF also easily wins in terms of focusing and handling.

2, Noctivid vs. EL: Another set of binoculars that could not be more different. In today’s market the EL is a very good buy. I’ve sampled them numerous times and really want to like them, but they just don’t work for me. The view is sharp but it gives me rolling ball effect, and the handling doesn’t agree with me. To me the top feature of the NV is Leica color science, and it is quite pleasing with vivid but very natural colors. However, I find the view of the SW and Zeiss models a smidge sharper; and the NL/SF have a very noticeably wider real-world FOV. There is also a slight bit more CA visible in the NV but I only see it when specifically looking for it. Lastly, there is a clear difference in the smoothness/accuracy of focuser and overall handling between these two and the SF/NV.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep, YOU need to try them. Good thing is with that group there is no wrong choice.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Please don’t base optics buying decisions on what others post on the web or the spec sheet. Well-known reviewers, BirdForum, and Rokslide are a great place to begin to ID high performing candidates for consideration and some of their characteristics (all reviewers have their own biases, including me). However, what will be most pleasing in image, haptics and handling will vary a lot from person to person. Everyone has preferences and only direct experience will identify them. Take the time & pain to sample them - it is absolutely worth it. A great example is comparing my NL Pure to my Victory SF. Both are absolutely spectacular but comparison is difficult to describe as they are so very different. The spec sheet never tells the whole story.

1. NL Pure and Victory SF are a dead-heat. I love them both and which one I’d reach for depends on the specific hunt. If honestly glassing from a tripod the vast majority of the time = NL. If more hand-held use (mobile type hunt, spot-stalk, forest, etc) = SF. Overall, while under certain conditions the NL may appear to have a very slight edge in contrast (maybe due to color contrast) and FOV, I generally find the SF view easier and more pleasing. The SF also easily wins in terms of focusing and handling.

2, Noctivid vs. EL: Another set of binoculars that could not be more different. In today’s market the EL is a very good buy. I’ve sampled them numerous times and really want to like them, but they just don’t work for me. The view is sharp but it gives me rolling ball effect, and the handling doesn’t agree with me. To me the top feature of the NV is Leica color science, and it is quite pleasing with vivid but very natural colors. However, I find the view of the SW and Zeiss models a smidge sharper; and the NL/SF have a very noticeably wider real-world FOV. There is also a slight bit more CA visible in the NV but I only see it when specifically looking for it. Lastly, there is a clear difference in the smoothness/accuracy of focuser and overall handling between these two and the SF/NV.
This is extremly helpful. I wasn't considering Victory SFs but sounds like I should at least get a pair to look through.

Thanks to everyone for offering opinions and your insights - all of the things that each individual notes helps give me a little more basis for comparison to side by side some.

Wrench

WKR
And......don't do your testing at noon in the city or in the store. If you can get lower light opportunities it really helps give a better interpretation.

Agreed on NL vs SF. I took my NL 12's and SF 10's on a sheep hunt and thoroughly enjoyed both. The reason I sold my SF's and kept my NL's was simply because I liked having 12x more for what I do. I really enjoyed how Zeiss put weight in the back of the binoculars so it made them feel very light to hold.

ZDR

WKR
For those of you who prefer 12x, can you handhold them steady or do you only use them on a tripod?

For those of you who prefer 12x, can you handhold them steady or do you only use them on a tripod?
I can handhold them steady and they are amazing on a tripod. The forehead rest seemed gimmicky but it helps too. I don't use the forehead rest because of the angle it has on my forehead but it works.

Reactions: ZDR
I personally love Leica glass. The colors are fantastic and they handle glare much better than Swaro's.
However they are still in the 90's with their ergonomics & design. Handling is very important to me. If you hold a pair of NL's and Noctivid's side by side, you will see what I mean. NL's for me.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I personally love Leica glass. The colors are fantastic and they handle glare much better than Swaro's.
However they are still in the 90's with their ergonomics & design. Handling is very important to me. If you hold a pair of NL's and Noctivid's side by side, you will see what I mean. NL's for me.
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the info.

I think I’ve seen you post you run the 32mm NLs? I know the FOV matches most 42s but do you ever find them limiting for tripod use? I’ve always ruled 32s out but they sure save some weight.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the info.

I think I’ve seen you post you run the 32mm NLs? I know the FOV matches most 42s but do you ever find them limiting for tripod use? I’ve always ruled 32s out but they sure save some weight.
I did use the 10x32 NL’s for a season. They are fantastic. Tripod use is in no way a limiting feature of them, atleast when using with the Aziak clamp. The only time I found them to be lacking is in dim light. I could use them fine, but the small exit pupil made them a little hard to align both eyes and I found myself messing with the diopter more than I wanted to.
I ended up switching to the 10x42’s for low light performance. However I do seem to enjoy the view through them just a bit more, even at other times of the day. In actual use I don’t really notice the 8 oz weight increase. I enjoy glassing a lot and the increased viewing pleasure is worth it to me.

bozeman

WKR
I finally bought a pair of Noctovids......whoa! I had 8X32 EL's which are superb, but the 8X42 Noctovids are exceptional for my viewing.