.25 Cal (Quarter Bore) / Big Game Success - 25 Creed, 25-284, 25-06, 25 PRC, 25 SAUM

The Guide

WKR
I just noticed that those new sierras are looking like a bad option for hunting if they really have a closed nose.
What I think they did is took the 131 ace bullet and closed the nose for a little more bc.
Obviously they are made for target shooters but for us hunters that like match bullets....
that would effect bullet expansion wouldn't it?
Nose ring them like the DTAC and kill everything just like Ryan does... 😉

Jay

WKR

WKR
It does, there is still a hollow point though on the 131 ACE though it’s small. ~.017”

When I first started shooting game I was getting 1/2” exits at close ranges out 300yds with a mv of 3170fps.

After that I experimented with a pin drill opening the tips up as far as .045” but I ended up settling on a .019” bit. It cleaned up the hollow point and opened it ~.001-.002”

With the mod I started getting .75”-1.25” exits and the animals death runs got much shorter. This was about what I saw when running berger 6.5 140vld-h at mv of 3250fps. Though the bergers opened slightly better but they had a larger Hp and I believe they have a thinner jacket.

I drill tips out of rounds I’m going to run in the mag right before I go out hunting. Only takes maybe 90sec for a 5rd mag.

I tested the factory tips and my drilled tips at distance and it did not change my drops.
What I'm wondering is if these will be an exact replica of the blackjack or if sierra closed the nose even more to boost that bc up a little bit.

Was there a patent on the ace bullets? Did it expire and now sierra took it up since they were the manufacturer?

I've heard good terminal reports from the old 131's

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Most likely the same bullet but I won’t know until I can compare them. Brunos shows it as 130gr. But this pic on the Sierra box shows 131gr. Not sure if there was a patent

IMG_6759.jpeg

Yes most people just shot them as is but terminal performance would probably vary depending on if you’re running them out of a creed at 2900 vs a 257WBY at 3400fps.

Last edited:
I’m loving the eldm in my 25cm. Haven’t played with any of the others yet
They shoot killer out of my .25-284 as well. 54.5 grains of H1000. Not sure on speeds yet, I only have 20 rounds on the barrel. That's 18 rounds at 100 yards into a1.25" target. Can't wait for it to "settle" down! :)

Attachments

• 08022024 2.jpg
    08022024 2.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 8

WKR

WKR
The matchkings are typically a thicker jacket then say a berger J4 correct?

IMG_9620.jpeg
BlackJack on left Berger 135 on the right

IMG_9623.jpeg
BlackJack on left Berger on right.
What I'm wondering is if these will be an exact replica of the blackjack or if sierra closed the nose even more to boost that bc up a little bit.

Was there a patent on the ace bullets? Did it expire and now sierra took it up since they were the manufacturer?

I've heard good terminal reports from the old 131's
Im betting it’s the same and they were waiting on a legal agreement of some sort to pass once they realized how many people were wanting them despite the BJ company’s manner of exit. At least I can hope. I’m still holding my breath for the order I placed. . . 🙄

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
once they realized how many people were wanting them despite the BJ company’s manner of exit. At least I can hope. I’m still holding my breath for the order I placed. . . 🙄

What happened to the blackjack guys? Is there somewhere its posted? I have a 257 blackbird and it kinda sucks because its a hammer. Between blackjack vaporizing and the 7mm blaser brass getting discontinued its as dead as dead can be.

pic at 1000 for attention. shoots 133 berger elite hunters at 3297 fps.

image_cropper_1723209418885.jpg

WKR

WKR
What happened to the blackjack guys? Is there somewhere its posted? I have a 257 blackbird and it kinda sucks because its a hammer. Between blackjack vaporizing and the 7mm blaser brass getting discontinued its as dead as dead can be.

pic at 1000 for attention. shoots 133 berger elite hunters at 3297 fps.

View attachment 751343
They took tens of thousands of dollars from buyers on backorders, then shut the doors, And kept the money without filling the orders.

I had hear that but no more explaination than that.
The way I understand it, one of the two partners left the other hanging by taking a large sum of money with him. The company basically cratered overnight with not really as much as an explanation to customers (myself included) that prepaid for orders and will never see them. I suspect there were some issues between blackjack and Sierra (possibly due to the Sierra buyout?) but the short of it is a large group of people got screwed with no lube.

khuber84

WKR
The way I understand it, one of the two partners left the other hanging by taking a large sum of money with him. The company basically cratered overnight with not really as much as an explanation to customers (myself included) that prepaid for orders and will never see them. I suspect there were some issues between blackjack and Sierra (possibly due to the Sierra buyout?) but the short of it is a large group of people got screwed with no lube.
Some the customers who paid for back ordered bullets did get refunded, but not without legal action. Lots of guys got screwed. Miles was the fraudulent one. Logan was/is still a solid dude.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
For all you quarter bore elk slayers, I’ve drawn a pretty good WY tag and want to use my 25-06. 24” Bartlein 1-10 twist. Recommend a bullet. I have 117 Sierras, 115 Noslers and Bergers, and 120 A frames. It shoots all of them well. I’ve been using the 115 Barnes for the last couple of years. It’s been a hammer on deer and antelope.
I've killed elk with 100gr TSX and TTSX. So any of those you listed will work.

Reactions: FLS
Some the customers who paid for back ordered bullets did get refunded, but not without legal action. Lots of guys got screwed. Miles was the fraudulent one. Logan was/is still a solid dude.
I couldn't remember which one was which so I left names out but yes this tracks with what I knew as well. I don't have the time or energy to file a small claims suit so yeah I took my lumps. Its sad though because they did something really special IMO for the 25cal guys that needed to be done otherwise we would still be where we were before.

khuber84

WKR
I couldn't remember which one was which so I left names out but yes this tracks with what I knew as well. I don't have the time or energy to file a small claims suit so yeah I took my lumps. Its sad though because they did something really special IMO for the 25cal guys that needed to be done otherwise we would still be where we were before.
You're absolutely correct, had they not pushed the envelope, Berger nor HDY would have known there was a market here for new and improved bullets.