.25 Cal (Quarter Bore) / Big Game Success - 25 Creed, 25-284, 25-06, 25 PRC, 25 SAUM

For all you quarter bore elk slayers, I’ve drawn a pretty good WY tag and want to use my 25-06. 24” Bartlein 1-10 twist. Recommend a bullet. I have 117 Sierras, 115 Noslers and Bergers, and 120 A frames. It shoots all of them well. I’ve been using the 115 Barnes for the last couple of years. It’s been a hammer on deer and antelope.
If it shoots them all well, shoot what you have the most confidence in.

Last edited:

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
For all you quarter bore elk slayers, I’ve drawn a pretty good WY tag and want to use my 25-06. 24” Bartlein 1-10 twist. Recommend a bullet. I have 117 Sierras, 115 Noslers and Bergers, and 120 A frames. It shoots all of them well. I’ve been using the 115 Barnes for the last couple of years. It’s been a hammer on deer and antelope.
Those are all good options and all will kill an elk. Don't overthink it. I'd shoot the one that produces the best 10 shot groups that you have the most confidence.

Reactions: WKR
Maybe it’s this? Not sure if this is a new bullet coming or just how they labeled the BJ Ace 131g when it was still being made. Would love some more insight if it’s getting brought back as I’ve read great things and it would make the 25 calibers even more appealing.

The Berger 133, 135, and Hornady 134 are all hammers. I appreciate having more competition in the 130 class, but you're not sacrificing anything with what's available either.

WKR

WKR
@sierracharlie338
Whats your coal and velocity on your 135gr creed load?

I'm just getting around to really tuning my 133 eh load. Last time I left it was 2.850 coal 42.3 h4350 at around 2830 fps. Around 3/4 moa.

I'm going to play around with some seating depth and use once fired brass then I think ill use that load and rifle for this years tags. Plus I just got a couple new cans that I need to incorporate into load dev.

I do have a really spicy 25 cal wildcat coming soon but I don't think ill have enough time with it to use it for this year's hunting. Reamer should be finished up late September.

Maybe it’s this? Not sure if this is a new bullet coming or just how they labeled the BJ Ace 131g when it was still being made. Would love some more insight if it’s getting brought back as I’ve read great things and it would make the 25 calibers even more appealing.

Thanks. Now I’m intrigued!
The Berger 133, 135, and Hornady 134 are all hammers. I appreciate having more competition in the 130 class, but you're not sacrificing anything with what's available either.
Definitely agree. 135s hammer in my CM. I have 100 of the blackjacks left I’ve been sitting on for multiple reasons but I’ll def buy some to compare

@sierracharlie338
Whats your coal and velocity on your 135gr creed load?

I'm just getting around to really tuning my 133 eh load. Last time I left it was 2.850 coal 42.3 h4350 at around 2830 fps. Around 3/4 moa.

I'm going to play around with some seating depth and use once fired brass then I think ill use that load and rifle for this years tags. Plus I just got a couple new cans that I need to incorporate into load dev.

I do have a really spicy 25 cal wildcat coming soon but I don't think ill have enough time with it to use it for this year's hunting. Reamer should be finished up late September.
I’ll have to check my notes on COAL but I’m running the old standby of 41.5 at about 2700 to break the barrel in. Then I’ll run up to pressure and hope to be in the same velocity window that you are. But it’s shooting 1 hole 5 shot groups at the moment so I can’t complain

WKR

WKR
I just noticed that those new sierras are looking like a bad option for hunting if they really have a closed nose.
What I think they did is took the 131 ace bullet and closed the nose for a little more bc.
Obviously they are made for target shooters but for us hunters that like match bullets....
that would effect bullet expansion wouldn't it?

WKR

WKR
I’ll have to check my notes on COAL but I’m running the old standby of 41.5 at about 2700 to break the barrel in. Then I’ll run up to pressure and hope to be in the same velocity window that you are. But it’s shooting 1 hole 5 shot groups at the moment so I can’t complain
Barrel length?

I just noticed that those new sierras are looking like a bad option for hunting if they really have a closed nose.
What I think they did is took the 131 ace bullet and closed the nose for a little more bc.
Obviously they are made for target shooters but for us hunters that like match bullets....
It could, and that's why some guys open up the tips of the Bergers.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
It does, there is still a hollow point though on the 131 ACE though it’s small. ~.017”

When I first started shooting game I was getting 1/2” exits at close ranges out 300yds with a mv of 3170fps.

After that I experimented with a pin drill opening the tips up as far as .045” but I ended up settling on a .019” bit. It cleaned up the hollow point and opened it ~.001-.002”

With the mod I started getting .75”-1.25” exits and the animals death runs got much shorter. This was about what I saw when running berger 6.5 140vld-h at mv of 3250fps. Though the bergers opened slightly better but they had a larger Hp and I believe they have a thinner jacket.

I drill tips out of rounds I’m going to run in the mag right before I go out hunting. Only takes maybe 90sec for a 5rd mag.

I tested the factory tips and my drilled tips at distance and it did not change my drops.