Workout Exhaustion Issues

War Paint

FNG
So like many of you, have been training for elk season. A lot of time in the gym and a weekly 8 mile ruck with 60-80 lbs in a local state park that has some up/down. Been rucking routinely since beginning of April.

I’ve been making some great strides and feeling tons of improvements and then one day a few weeks ago my body felt like it just shut down from exhaustion. I took most of that week off, eased back into things, but now it’s like I’m struggling to get back to previous results. It’s been about 3 weeks since that moment. For example I went on my weekly ruck this morning and got to about 5 miles and my body was like F it.

For perspective I’m in Texas and it’s been one hot MFer of a summer so that probably is a factor, but do a good job staying hydrated with all the gear.

Just looking for general thoughts here from you pros. Maybe there are supplements y’all can recommend that actually work. One of the mainstream hunting branded ones that I won’t name has seemed pretty gimmicky and ineffective.

Less that 2 months from my draw season and feel like timing sucks to have this setback.

BBob

WKR
it’s been one hot MFer of a summer so that probably is a factor
Definitely a factor. I’ve been training outdoors my whole life year round in AZ and when the real heat rolls in you’re going to slow down and you won’t match your previous markers until the heat subsides. When it hits we find it takes a couple of weeks of continuing to train in the heat (but taking it easier) before you feel okay in it and start to do better but never as fast as you were. You might have just overtrained yourself pushing into the heat and might need to back off a bit for awhile. I’d cut the pack weight in half and chill on the push for awhile.

It could be the weather. For me when it’s above 62 and 90% humidity here in Wisconsin I slow way down. The the days where it’s 58!or lower and not very humid I feel like I set my best pace.

Just my thoughts but could be way more complicated without knowing your medical/health background and I’m no doctor.

*zap*

WKR
Been there and worse.

Inflammation. Try an anti inflammation med and see if it gets better in 36 hrs. If so then do carnivore and it will go away fast otherwise it can become chronic.

The inflammation decreases waste from being taken away from the mitochondria thus impending atp production. It can also produce muscle knots and other issues. That is my theory anyway. Ymmv.

OP
W

War Paint

FNG
Definitely a factor. I’ve been training outdoors my whole life year round in AZ and when the real heat rolls in you’re going to slow down and you won’t match your previous markers until the heat subsides. When it hits we find it takes a couple of weeks of continuing to train in the heat (but taking it easier) before you feel okay in it and start to do better but never as fast as you were. You might have just overtrained yourself pushing into the heat and might need to back off a bit for awhile. I’d cut the pack weight in half and chill on the push for awhile.
This makes most sense for the cause. Think we just broke the local record for consecutive 100+ degree days. With the current forecast it might be this climate all the way till my hunt.

OP
W

War Paint

FNG
It could be the weather. For me when it’s above 62 and 90% humidity here in Wisconsin I slow way down. The the days where it’s 58!or lower and not very humid I feel like I set my best pace.

Just my thoughts but could be way more complicated without knowing your medical/health background and I’m no doctor.
Luckily I’m routine with my doctors. My issues are joint related should and knee (acl surgery in 2021). Neither of those have slowed me down this training cycle and been happy with that recovery.

OP
W

War Paint

FNG
Been there and worse.

Inflammation. Try an anti inflammation med and see if it gets better in 36 hrs. If so then do carnivore and it will go away fast otherwise it can become chronic.

The inflammation decreases waste from being taken away from the mitochondria thus impending atp production. It can also produce muscle knots and other issues. That is my theory anyway. Ymmv.
Carnivore as in carnivore diet? Sorry just not familiar with the reference.

I’ll definitely try something more routine with the anti inflammation.

TheHammer

WKR
First thing I thought of was diet (are you getting headaches?), gut biome, heat and limes disease. Typically when it gets warm my caloric intake drops. I’ve been cutting carbs and eating a lot of, if not only meat on my lunches and meat sticks vs crappy snacks in the afternoons with pretty stellar results. Hopefully you get something resolved and back on track. Hate seeing guys down n out when it’s crunch time.

*zap*

WKR
Yes. Strict carnivore-high fat red meat(ribeye), wild salmon, bacon & eggs, no dairy is what I would do for a week or longer and see what happens. Like I said I have been there..

BBob

WKR
Going full on high fat carnivore overnight is very likely to give him the shats and he’s not going to be very happy with that outcome.

OP
W

War Paint

FNG
First thing I thought of was diet (are you getting headaches?), gut biome, heat and limes disease. Typically when it gets warm my caloric intake drops. I’ve been cutting carbs and eating a lot of, if not only meat on my lunches and meat sticks vs crappy snacks in the afternoons with pretty stellar results. Hopefully you get something resolved and back on track. Hate seeing guys down n out when it’s crunch time.
No headaches or issues with those other symptoms or causes you mentioned. I’m going to make some changes per the feedback here for sure though. I know I’ll get back on track and glad this is a resource for help!

OP
W

War Paint

FNG
Yes. Strict carnivore-high fat red meat(ribeye), wild salmon, bacon & eggs, no dairy is what I would do for a week or longer and see what happens. Like I said I have been there..
I’ll give this a try

OP
W

War Paint

FNG
Just have to suck it up.
If it’s any consolation my buddies pretty much told me to stop be a pussy haha but that’s why they’re my buddies
Going full on high fat carnivore overnight is very likely to give him the shats and he’s not going to be very happy with that outcome.
ill take chitting my brains out for a few weeks to get my stats back lol

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
You didn’t say how old you are but inflammation can come from many things, gluten, salt, sugar. I’m not a doctor but limiting these things and stress will help. Electrolytes in your water will also help at altitude, your body isn’t only burning liquid. Good luck!

OP
W

War Paint

FNG
36 years old

Been on keto for awhile. I know certain aspects of diets can be the cause but this one has felt like one of the best decisions I’ve made. Have felt great in any other normal setting.

Have a sugar free electrolite packet I add to a Nalgene bottle of water and drink 1 every day.

TaperPin

WKR
There are colds and there are viruses - we only think about, or hear complaints about the ones that put us out of commission, make our noses run or kill us, but all the hundreds of others that barely register are still getting inside us.

Every year I can tell I caught something that slowed me down for a while, even if there are no symptoms other than being slightly less mentally sharp, or slightly less energetic, or slightly something else. I never noticed this in my younger days, but it’s probably a function of getting older - we’re more in touch with things and things bother us more as we slowly fall apart.

Also, in carpentry or cabinet making I can tell if a coworker is firing on all cylinders even if they can’t. Sometimes its stress from kids or wife, sometimes they are drinking too much, and sometimes they aren’t sleeping well even if they think they are. Any deviation from normal sleep habits will slow you down physically and mentally. Take one of those sleep apnea machines away from somebody for a week and you’ll see what I mean! Lol

A week being off your normal self is normal, two weeks without a reason may be normal, but three weeks sounds like something might be up, and a month is where your friends politely suggest maybe you should get those annual blood tests done that you’re putting off.

One client was doubled over for a few days, went to the ER, had his gal bladder taken out and two days later he felt 10 years younger! Lucky duck.

Last edited:

P Carter

WKR
Sorry, but no one here has enough information to make real suggestions. Much less one as extreme as saying eat a carnivore diet. You complained about a performance issue. Carnivore diet is not a performance diet. A sudden drop in performance could just as easily come from not eating enough calories or carbs.

What’s your height, weight, body fat, age, and workout/athletic history? (You should ask the same of those giving advice too.)

Are you exhausted all the time, or just during workouts? If the former, and the level of fatigue is interfering with day to day activities, go see a doctor to rule out a real disease and go forward from there.

If the latter, think systematically: what changed? Are you getting sufficient calories? (I’d track calories if you aren’t already.) Sufficient hydration? When you say “exhausted,” what does that mean? Heart rate too high from the get-go, muscles got tired early, something else? How has your sleep been, and other sources of life stress?

I’m no expert, but it seems to me that if you think things through you’re likely to come up with some plausible explanation. If you have a history of working out and being healthy, don’t just gut it out - a sudden drop in performance has a cause, think it through and address things. May be as simple as just decreasing the pace if it’s over a certain temp. I’d also note that if your only “cardio” or “endurance” workout is a single, long hike with 60-80 lbs that’s probably not an ideal schedule. Simultaneously too much and not enough. More frequent yet shorter hikes with less weight is probably a better and more sustainable plan.

Jumping straight to “eat a carnivore diet” is ridiculous. But it’s your life - if you do it, yes please do report back!