LRI's hard case shipping requirement

grofield

FNG
Like many others have already done, I'm getting ready to send in a Tikka barreled action to LRI for Cerakoting and after reading their shipping info I'm curious how people have shipped their barreled actions in hard cases as LRI wants.

The simplest answer seems to be to put the parts in my pelican case and see if I can get a box from Cabela's that's large enough for the Pelican, but this seems like I'll end up paying a hefty shipping price as well.

I'm not trying to the world's biggest cheapskate or a smart ass, but I am legitimately wondering if I could pad the barreled action and put it in some schedule 40 PVC with end caps, pack the PVC inside a cardboard box, and meet their hard case requirement.

What do y'all think?

Search Document or poster tube on Amazon. The telescoping ones.another member had suggested it. That's what I used last time I shipped a barreled acion. It was to LRi but pretty sure it'd be considered a hard case.

This was the one I bought I think in large. Make sure the ends screw on and not pop on/off

DEWEL Document Tube,Plastic Expanding Poster/Art/Document Storage Tube 24.5 to 40 inches Adjustable with Carrying Strap Waterproof and Light-Resistance Telescoping Carrying Case (Black-Large Size) https://a.co/d/5zm7KTi

BBob

WKR
wondering if I could pad the barreled action and put it in some schedule 40 PVC with end caps, pack the PVC inside a cardboard box
The shippers will smack the pvc end caps, they’ll shatter and your stuff will fall out. BTDT

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
I wrap mine in lots of paper and bubble wrap and use a much smaller stock box to ship to Kampfeld. Done it 5-6 times. My last experience with LRI was not great.

What do y'all think?

Amazon sells a Plano shotgun case for $42. See screenshot.
Screen Shot 2024-04-27 at 11.11.01 AM.png

Make sure you buy the takedown shotgun version and KEEP the shipping box which is sturdy enough for several round trips. The size works great and will save you a ton on fees vs a rifle-length case. Ship USPS Ground Advantage for lowest cost with tracking.

Let LRI/gunsmith know that you want to keep the box. My original cardboard box has made 5 back/forth trips across the USA and still solid.

theduke11

FNG
I just bought the cheapest Plano case I could find to ship to LRI. It seems like their website says they will charge you for a case if you don’t ship them one but I can’t remember for sure.

OP
grofield

grofield

FNG
Thanks for the suggestions. Whether it's a drafting tube, PVC, or something else, the hard case but is still going inside a cardboard box.

I'm a bit short on space, which is another reason I'm trying to avoid another case. I'd thought about using a drafting tube as well and maybe LRI will get back to me so I can know whether they'll accept one.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in what made anyone's last experience with LRI not great. Between their move and medical issues, I'm sure there have been bumps in the road.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I wasn't super impressed with some of the work I've had LRI do. Nothing negative but decided there's better quality work that's easier to get done. Kampfields or unknown munitions would be my go-to if I couldn't find somebody local. Lots of Smiths can do cerakote though no reason to ship it if you don't have to.

Mmomn

Lil-Rokslider
I have shipped some barreled actions to them in a plastic arrow tube with no issues

OP
grofield

grofield

FNG
I wasn't super impressed with some of the work I've had LRI do. Nothing negative but decided there's better quality work that's easier to get done. Kampfields or unknown munitions would be my go-to if I couldn't find somebody local. Lots of Smiths can do cerakote though no reason to ship it if you don't have to.

Got it, thanks. Also having them flute the bolt, which is part of the motivation.

Schism

WKR
I have hand delivered parts to LRI and had them ship complete rifles back to me in cases/boxes that I have purchased through them. They use Plano cases and a tight fitting box to ship. I've sent rifles back and forth numerous times with the same case/box and everything has been fine. I think the case is about $30.

Your Pelican case is larger and heavier than needed and would cost a bunch to ship.

As one poster above suggested, buy the case online and have it shipped to you so you have both the case and the box. I've seen end caps broken on enough tubes used to ship to not want my barreled action shipped in one.

OP
grofield

grofield

FNG
Appreciate the info on a cheap case (like a Plano or Cabela's house bran.

In terms of broken end caps, channeling my inner Quint from Jaws:

"Action goes in the tube, tube goes in the box."

Or course end caps, tubes, and cheap cases can break. That's why one should use lots of padding and pack cases and tubes inside of boxes

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I sent stuff to LRI I just bubble wrapped it really good and shipped in a triangular poster box that was on the shelf at the post office.

BBob

WKR
Arrr you serious? (No really, I've never heard of them before)
PirateShip is legit. I use them all the time and pretty much dumped shipping direct. They don’t do FedEx, only USPS and UPS but pricing is better than direct from either. FedEx got stupid on pricing and now they’re calling me all the time trying to get our business back. It’s all PirateShip now.