Anyone else that can’t road run?

gostovp

WKR
Anyone else that has given up on road running (hard or paved surfaces) because it’s just to uncomfortable? Not that I’ve ever been a huge runner but now that I’m almost 50 , I can just feel it in my joints and hips and don’t like it. I can treadmill run without a problem and hiking and walking are fine, even with a ruck/weighted pack, and weight training and KB work goes great… sometimes I get stubborn and try to rip out a few miles on the pavement and always regret it lol

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I was a competitive 1/2 mile, mile, and cross country runner in my ill-spent youth. Two knee scopes later and woke up 64 the other day. Have cycled and only run a short distance on grass for 30 years.
I always said if I spoke to a high school track team I would preach "NEVER run on hard surfaces and buy the best cushion shoes out there".
Soft tissue just flat wears out. Stupidest thing going in our society is road runs, marathons on the street etc. The orthopedic surgeons must chuckle.
I stopped half a lifetime ago to preserve my body to do what I love. Heading back to the mountains this fall to live out of a 40lb pack for 10 days.
Oh and PS....same goes with heavy power lifting. My brother and 2 of my friends are all busted up and suffering from years of macho heavy lifting. cartilage just won't stand it.
Read this you young guys....worst thing is when wisdom comes too late in life.

*zap*

WKR
why beat up yourself if your not trying to get to cover?

:)

walking at a conversation pace while carrying 10% of your bodyweight/carrying nothing (depending on fitness level) will do anyone just fine as far as increasing aerobic capacity..the rest of improvements can be gotten thru strength training and stretching.

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
I jogged on pavement for a couple years.
Hurt all over, all the time.
I prefer woods hiking.

Reactions: NB7

NB7

WKR
A herniated disc L4 L5 will steer you off the road running, or at least it did for me. The pounding just wasn't worth it anymore. Substituting normal hiking, rucking, other cardio and and using my dual track tread-climber fills that gap nowadays. I can still get the work without that jarring action.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm only hiking these days, but when I did run it was 99% on trails- the 1% I was forced to run on pavement - it sucked, sucked bad!

I'd see folks running on the roads on the way to the trailhead and thought you poor bastards :D

BBob

WKR
I gave it up for years because it made my knees hurt, then I found Hoka’s. I don’t do a lot of road miles but with the high cushioned shoes my knees don’t hurt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't like pounding pavement even in my teens, but I did enjoy running river bottoms and even bleachers. But on the other hand, I played basketball for years on a hard court. That certainly wasn't any better. I'm almost 58 and my knees hurt, especially on the downhills while elk hunting and/or hauling meat.

sacklunch

WKR
why beat up yourself if your not trying to get to cover?

:)

walking at a conversation pace while carrying 10% of your bodyweight/carrying nothing (depending on fitness level) will do anyone just fine as far as increasing aerobic capacity..the rest of improvements can be gotten thru strength training and stretching.
Don’t forget deadhangs

*zap*

WKR
deadhangs are awesome... I do those on stretch day/cardio day along with shoulder health exercises and working on L-sit and knee strength. But your correct, do not forget their importance and do them.

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up running years ago because of the hurt it put on my body. Knees, hips, lower back up to my shoulders. I was in and out of the chiropractor way to often to get realigned. I would go through the best shoes I could buy in just a couple months. I’ve since switched to a box step and rucking. It’s way less impact and my body thanks me for it. Not to mention I think it prepares me better for hunting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had an injury about 6 years ago that ended my running time. I used to run 40-50 miles a week but now I run roughly zero miles a week. I can do everything else except run though so I'm grateful for that. I've dabbled with hill sprints of and on over the past few years but I always end up upsetting the injury so now I get my HIIT work in other ways.

H

HappyHuntr

I was a competitive 1/2 mile, mile, and cross country runner in my ill-spent youth. Two knee scopes later and woke up 64 the other day. Have cycled and only run a short distance on grass for 30 years.
I always said if I spoke to a high school track team I would preach "NEVER run on hard surfaces and buy the best cushion shoes out there".
Soft tissue just flat wears out. Stupidest thing going in our society is road runs, marathons on the street etc. The orthopedic surgeons must chuckle.
I stopped half a lifetime ago to preserve my body to do what I love. Heading back to the mountains this fall to live out of a 40lb pack for 10 days.
Oh and PS....same goes with heavy power lifting. My brother and 2 of my friends are all busted up and suffering from years of macho heavy lifting. cartilage just won't stand it.
Read this you young guys....worst thing is when wisdom comes too late in life.
as a now 16 yr old who plays baseball, football and wrestled i have been doing my fair share of lifting for the fellows getting older i would say lift light. go for reps and ur all good. If you overlifted in the pass i highly recommend a good yoga/Physical Therapy routine. It unlocks muscles like never before

dtrkyman

WKR
Running down hill is the worst for me, I now live at a place with paved trails, nothing steep but rolling, medium paced running does not bother me on them. Was running them daily but currently doing my cardio at the gym since I am there already.

If running bothered me at all I would have zero issues replacing it some other way!

mtbraun

FNG
I call it the dreadmill for a reason. I ran across some research showing higher levels of spinal compression due to sustained treadmill use. Think about it, should the ground underneath you be moving, or should you be moving over the ground? It's a subtle distinction, but worth nothing.

No way no how would I run on paved surfaces now or even if I was younger. High risk for future knee and back pain. I used to do very heavy leg presses and my knees are feeling the effects of that these days. Downhill hiking can get downright painful. Probably other factors involved but taking care of your knees and back should be a priority. You’ll thank your old self later.