Anyone else that can’t road run?

mtbraun

FNG
Don't tear up your joints for something that you probably don't even enjoy!

Like a few guys mentioned, you'll get more aerobic benefit from rucking 10-30% of your bodyweight and its so much more pleasant than sucking air while you run. Your workouts should improve your quality of life, not make your joints ache!
I disagree, you won't get more aerobic benefit from rucking. It's great for you, but it won't match running. I run, ruck, and lift and you can't match running (or swimming) for aerobic benefit. Running tears up your body if you aren't disciplined about strength training, mobility, or just have very poor biomechanics.

Anyone else that has given up on road running (hard or paved surfaces) because it’s just to uncomfortable? Not that I’ve ever been a huge runner but now that I’m almost 50 , I can just feel it in my joints and hips and don’t like it. I can treadmill run without a problem and hiking and walking are fine, even with a ruck/weighted pack, and weight training and KB work goes great… sometimes I get stubborn and try to rip out a few miles on the pavement and always regret it lol
Im late to this topic but I can no longer run on any surface for fun. I can run if I had to chase my kid or something like that but constant pounding would have put me in the operating room on both knees. I have an issue where there is not enough blood flowing to the top of my bone in my shin and if I kept running could cause me to have a knee replacement in my 30s at the time. It sucked because at the time I was running 10-12 miles a week at the time.

Instead I was told swimming, rowing, and bike riding were my best options for cardio.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I disagree, you won't get more aerobic benefit from rucking. It's great for you, but it won't match running. I run, ruck, and lift and you can't match running (or swimming) for aerobic benefit. Running tears up your body if you aren't disciplined about strength training, mobility, or just have very poor biomechanics.
For myself rucking just seems to work. Everyone is different and running doesn't sound like its working out for the OP.

Gorp2007

WKR
For me, incidents of knee pain actually go down as my weekly mileage goes up, and that's all almost exclusively road running. I also feel better when I then hit the trails on the weekends. I'm not setting any world records out here and my weekly mileage rarely creeps above 20 (an average week is a recovery, tempo/track, and long run), but I can definitely tell a difference.