why is a windshirt missing from almost all the lineups?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find a lightweight, hooded windshirt probably the most versatile piece of clothing I own, yet is seems starkly missing from lineups from the likes of Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite, etc. The ability to keep heat in, shed wind and light precipitation, while breathing very nicely, makes it a very useful and year round piece.

While the typical backpacking windshirt at ~ 4-5 oz is a little too frail and a little noisy for hunting- it wouldn't take much to beef up the fabric and make it quieter- the military did it with their Level 4 windshirt (Patagonia, Orc Industries, Wild Things). I own the Patagonia PCU one and it has a much softer hand (quieter) and sports a more durable fabric- it roughly doubles the weight, but at under 10 oz it still ranks as the most used and important piece of clothing I use in the fall.

I was surprised when perusing the above sites, I could find nothing resembling like it in their lineups (it did appear that Sitka at one point possibly had a windshirt- Contrail, but no longer).

Anyone else use a windshirt?

gelton

WKR
Good question. I wore one my first time out elk hunting and it worked great, not sure why, but I haven't brought one with me since. Still work great on the golf course though. Like your idea about the redesign too.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't see the need for it. I have a middle weight fleece, a puffy, and a rain jacket. The first two cut a decent amount of wind depending on the temps and if highly windy the rain layer comes out. Just having a wind layer that isn't water proof seems of low use in the conditions I'm normally in.

Good question! In my closet are a couple of Patagonia Houdinis and a Sitka Contrail. I thought I would use them more than I do, but in reality I almost always take a lightweight waterproof shell with pit zips like my Mountain Hardwear Epic instead. It's just more versatile. The Houdini only gets thrown in on fair weather day hikes with zero chance of precipitation. Once when wearing it in light rain that turned to heavy rain I got soaked because the seams leaked. I was wishing for a waterproof shell.

On a multi-day backpacking trip I would only bring a waterproof shell since it's more versatile for only a few ounces more and I try to avoid duplication. Just my take on it. Perhaps the clothing companies see it the same way?

Stid2677

WKR
Put me in the wind shirt camp,, I sweat like crazy and as soon as I start to move I get soaked. This leaves me with a soaking wet shirt no matter what type I have tried. For the past couple years I have been using a Houdini wind shirt, I strip down and put on my wind shirt for moving. When I get to a spot to glass I take it off, shake the sweat off it and hang on my pack to dry. I then put on a dry shirt and puffy to stay warm glassing. When ready to move again I reverse the process. I also find it handy as a wind breaker to wear over a merino or fleece. Well worth the weight for me, I would love to see Kuiu or Sitka make one. The weight is nothing compared to a sweat soaked shirt or jacket.

P8180244_zpspzwhzcvo.jpg

PJG

WKR
I really like my Hill People Gear wind cheater. The fit on the forearms is a touch on the small side, but the long tail and high chest pockets make up for that.

FreeRange

WKR
I'm a huge fan of the windshirt, I started with a Houdini which I found not sufficiently breathable (it was a more recent model and this is a well known issue the past few years) went to the BD Alpine Start for 2 years which is awesome but a little light. This year I've been using a hooded OR Ferrosi and am completely sold on it. For me it has replaced my mid-weight fleece in all but the coldest conditions. With the Ferrosi and a light baselayer as soon as I'm moving in the morning I'm plenty warm and don't worry about wind or light precip. Stopping for a short while to glass it takes the edge off but for any prolonged time I just throw a puffy over it. I'm honestly comfortable in the mid 40's and a good breeze hiking like this. A fleece is fine for moving in the cold but can't stand up to the wind. For glassing and sitting around camp I layer up but have found I never need more than this while moving.

Sitka used to make the Contrail wind shirt but it never seemed to catch on. I'm not big on camo so have been plenty happy with what I've used.

andres3

FNG
I have been eyeing the Wildthings wind shirt, the only thing I do no like is the 1/2 zip. I am thinking I will try the OTTE Gear version (also comes in solid colors):
OTTE GEAR | ...

Stid2677

WKR
I have a Wildthings in Multicam, I just do not like it. It is heavier and I don't like a pullover.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
A rain jacket is a great wind shedder, but simply too hot for me on the move- even with pitzips; a windshirt breathes enough I can use it on the move and with a good DWR it sheds a surprising amount of moisture.

Definitely not advocating ditching rain gear; but a lightweight windshirt will always have a place in my pack.

Evidently according to a buddy, on recent podcast from Sitka sounds like they are going to reintroduce a windshirt :)

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'd really suggest looking at that BD alpine start hoody, it's really awesome, extremely light weight unlined soft shell basically. I can run in it, does a good job with light moisture, wind, etc. I agree these pieces are super nice to have in a lot of situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ agreed, it's a very good one, the Patagonia military one is of similar weight, maybe a little less breathable (but better color for hunting, my BD one is orange- they do have a dark grey now)

I've probably got too many windshirts- two older Houdinis, the BD and the Patagonia level 4 one- I noticed a couple of small holes in one of my older Houdinis the other day- I need to patch it

I agree although the Marmot Driclime is something I am never without. Cuts wind and breathes great. Weighs nothing and dries quick. Awesome piece. Think I paid 30 bucks on STP.

halg

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka used to have the Contrail wind shirt, which is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Then they discontinued it, and replaced it with the "improved" Jetstream Lite Jacket, which mis have missed the mark because it has been discontinued and replaced with the new Mountain jacket.

But the original Contrail was a very light (9oz) windstopper shirt ( stowaway hood, two chest pockets) that packed down to the size of a beer can. When I found out it was being discontinued, I bought two more.

oenanthe

WKR
I agree pretty much 100% with what you say.

I've got a ECWCS Level 4 windshirt in ACU, it's Nextec Epic fabric. I like it but it's not really a windshirt since it has no hood, and 3 zippers that let in a lot of air. But they are very cheap on fleabay.

Also have the PCU Patagonia Level 4, but the hood is not that great, and it's not that light, either.

I'm considering a multicam windshirt from Luke's Ultralight but it's hard to justify another windshirt when I've already got four!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sitka used to have the Contrail wind shirt, which is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Then they discontinued it, and replaced it with the "improved" Jetstream Lite Jacket, which mis have missed the mark because it has been discontinued and replaced with the new Mountain jacket.

But the original Contrail was a very light (9oz) windstopper shirt ( stowaway hood, two chest pockets) that packed down to the size of a beer can. When I found out it was being discontinued, I bought two more.

sounds like they may have another one in the works :)

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I find a lightweight, hooded windshirt probably the most versatile piece of clothing I own, yet is seems starkly missing from lineups from the likes of Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite, etc. The ability to keep heat in, shed wind and light precipitation, while breathing very nicely, makes it a very useful and year round piece.

While the typical backpacking windshirt at ~ 4-5 oz is a little too frail and a little noisy for hunting- it wouldn't take much to beef up the fabric and make it quieter- the military did it with their Level 4 windshirt (Patagonia, Orc Industries, Wild Things). I own the Patagonia PCU one and it has a much softer hand (quieter) and sports a more durable fabric- it roughly doubles the weight, but at under 10 oz it still ranks as the most used and important piece of clothing I use in the fall.

I was surprised when perusing the above sites, I could find nothing resembling like it in their lineups (it did appear that Sitka at one point possibly had a windshirt- Contrail, but no longer).

Anyone else use a windshirt?

It is part of my layer system.
Merino wool minus 33 next to skin, windshirt, lightweight fleece and then a puffy followed by a raingear. Love this system and you can handle about any weather with it. Sometimes have a vest in there also.

Randy

Kuiu has a great wind shirt in the peleton 240. They advertise it as being wind resistant. I have one and it works great in the wind and breathes great.