Is the Sitka Ambient a must have?

Super tag

WKR
ambient Is amazing, I was taken by surprise when I wore it, doesn’t look like as much as it is, super warm and comfortable

OP
E
My only issue with the ambient is the durability. Great piece, just not durable enough to be considered bombproof. I still wear mine a ton, I just don't bust brush with it

mannn for 95 bucks grab three and send me a spare! I love my ambient. I dont care for the fit on myself, i had to get a large/tall for the sleeves to be long enough. The torso is super long but i use the cinch cord to keep it just below my belt line. But its a great piece, super warm when you need it, breathes well while hiking. I feel like it sucks the moisture out of your base layer. It was pretty cold here for a bit and i was using my SG helio grid fleece next to skin and then the ambient over that, my helio didnt even have time to get sweaty and wet it was moving right into the ambient. When i stopped and took my pack off there was moisture in the ambient but it dries so fast. I was super impressed with this combo.
I bet your helio then ambient is a awesome combo, I really want to buy the helio for this exact setup, I tried on a large sg it fit perfectly against the skin but hat to size up to use a layer under. It wanted to grab the base shirt and it would pull up the sg while moving my arm around in the store. Odd I know. You have any problems like that it might have been my cotton t that I used while at the store.

Agreed. This really grinds my gears when I’m reading product reviews. One review says “perfect fit!” The next says “shoulders were too tight, returned.” And neither one tells you which size they ordered or what size their bodies are. It makes me want to flip my desk.
Let me tell you this about that.
Just the other day I finally ordered (only after extensive research because I know nothing about kuiu sizes) a peloton 97 , and 240 in large. Ok now I had been over at my daughter house my son in law has StrongFleece 210 when he woke up I tried it on, now he's a jim rat works out daily. He's. Much bigger than I. His SF is an XL IT FIT PERFECTLY. , So I checked my chest it was 46 I had to cancel and reorder in xl. Now. Chest size needs to be added to help everyone. Hunt hard

Kspence49

FNG
I’ve been using it this year for mule deer and so far I’m a believer. It’s lived up to its name thus far. Going to be taking it to the extreme soon during my elk hunt, high exertion and cold temps. After its performance during my deer hunt I can honestly say I’ve never been more excited to test a piece of gear on a hunt haha. It’s making me want to hike harder

Anyone wearing the ambient next to skin? I tried on a medium tgat way and it fits perfect. The large is sorta sloppy on me even with an underlayer. Thanks

I definitely prefer to wear it over a synthetic base layer. The ambient really does well at breathable insulation and I personally like the more loose fit of it when I wear it. I have found that sometimes it can be too warm, so I have taken it on and off multiple times throughout a hunt to regulate my temp

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if I was going to use Alpha/Evolve as a base layer in cold weather- I'd go with a "naked version vs one w/ an outer fabric like the Ambient.

Like so

Ou2w1cp.jpg

OP
E
I think if I was going to use Alpha/Evolve as a base layer in cold weather- I'd go with a "naked version vs one w/ an outer fabric like the Ambient.

Like so

Ou2w1cp.jpg
You just always pop up with exactly what I need to know. I've been using a naked version alpha hoodie made by my good ol mama bear for some runs lately and its been amazing. Except for the wind. When it's cold and windy, you better get moving or you might freeze off parts of your anatomy hahaha

Well i just ordered a large in black. Tried one on at sportsmans this weekend. Already have the jacket in ev2. I must admit when i first felt these a few months ago they felt cheap. But i am liking them now.

OP
E
Well i just ordered a large in black. Tried one on at sportsmans this weekend. Already have the jacket in ev2. I must admit when i first felt these a few months ago they felt cheap. But i am liking them now.
They do feel "light" which I initially believed meant they had to be cheaply made or not durable and they've held up super well for me. I can't believe it in all honesty, I half expected them to fall apart on me with use. Maybe because of the price I've taken better care of them but I'm not really easy on my gear

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a long time lover of the the heavy hoody and still am.. I love the ambient as well. My only gripe about the ambient is the ease at which the outer material snags. Yes I know it’s a mid layer, but so is the heavy hoody and I beat the hell out of those things and they never die.

That being said the ambient is here to stay for me, especially with the 60 and 100 they just came out with.

Benjblt

WKR
OP
E
I’ve been a long time lover of the the heavy hoody and still am.. I love the ambient as well. My only gripe about the ambient is the ease at which the outer material snags. Yes I know it’s a mid layer, but so is the heavy hoody and I beat the hell out of those things and they never die.

That being said the ambient is here to stay for me, especially with the 60 and 100 they just came out with.
I love combining the heavy hoody and the ambient for deer hunting in cold weather... that combo is fantastic!

OP
E
Guessing the Ambient is layered over the Heavyweight hoody? Thanks. -Rufus
Yep exactly! I'm fortunate to have snagged an ambient jacket for very cheap at a local shop at the end of the season and that's even better for cold cold. The ambient hoody over the heavyweight (or whatever grid fleece you normally use) is a really good way to go to extend your ability to use the ambient and stay warmer in cold weather while still being breathable. For hang and hunts in the cold it's a dang good combo

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Yep exactly! I'm fortunate to have snagged an ambient jacket for very cheap at a local shop at the end of the season and that's even better for cold cold. The ambient hoody over the heavyweight (or whatever grid fleece you normally use) is a really good way to go to extend your ability to use the ambient and stay warmer in cold weather while still being breathable. For hang and hunts in the cold it's a dang good combo
Awesome. This is one of the things I want to try this November. Are you layering something under the heavyweight hoody or are you wearing it next to skin? Suppose it could be either way. Thank you. -Rufus

OP
E
Awesome. This is one of the things I want to try this November. Are you layering something under the heavyweight hoody or are you wearing it next to skin? Suppose it could be either way. Thank you. -Rufus
I have wore it next to skin as a heavyweight base, but when it's really cold I'll wear my pnuma heated vest under it. I will also wear a thin merino or synthetic base tshirt in case I get done hunting and need to run into town for snacks for the wifey

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I love love love it. I usually rock a heavyweight hoody or the core 330 as a base, when it gets chilly I’ll put the ambient over and they covers alot of situations and then he it gets cold cold I’ll throw a puffy over that set up or change it to a base layer, puffy and hard shell over top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk