why is a windshirt missing from almost all the lineups?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
SkakeDry is a pretty neat fabric- about as light as you can go to get a waterproof garment, it's a little fragile for hunting use (and pack use from the pressure of the shoulder/hip straps).

Also while more breathable than most rain jackets, it's not nearly as breathable as most wind shirts.

jd1006

WKR
Good to know…I’ve seen those Vapor SD jackets getting discounted quite a bit and wondered how they might work in those scenarios. I figured if they were breathable enough for a trail runner to wear they should work decent for hiking.

I have the flash pullover, and I’d agree that I wouldn’t want to be hiking much in that, its great for what its intended purpose (low precip chance) is.

I pretty much use the peloton 240 vest as the wind resistant layer above a hoody down to 35 degrees or so and that combo has served me well.

KU_Geo

WKR
Patagonia Houdini is still as good as I have found. 4oz. And they usually have some sort of camo pattern every year,if that’s your thing.

Bump79

WKR
@mtwarden what are your thoughts on these pieces?

Maybe I'm silly but I never use all these pockets that our jackets and pants have. 3 pockets in my pants are more than enough, I don't need 6 in my pants. 1 in my mid layer and 3 in my outer wear.. I like simple pieces. 1/2 zip, pit zips with no zippers. Invest that weight into a more durable stretch fabric.

I have the Ferrosi pants and love them but they might be too breathable. The reinforced shoulders and arms still breath but are more durable and wind resistant. They updated it recently and shed a few ounces.

Love the First Lite Corrugate Pants. Not highly wind resistant but love the stretch, very durable and breathe well. The jacket might fit in well.

Haven't tried anything from Beyond yet.

Last edited:

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Patagonia Houdini is still as good as I have found. 4oz. And they usually have some sort of camo pattern every year,if that’s your thing.

Check. Yeah, It's not critical but I'd rather have a camo pattern option if possible.

Thanks all, still listening!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden what are your thoughts on these pieces?

Maybe I'm silly but I never use all these pockets that our jackets and pants have. 3 pockets in my pants are more than enough, I don't need 6 in my pants. 1 in my mid layer and 3 in my outer wear.. I like simple pieces. 1/2 zip, pit zips with no zippers. Invest that weight into a more durable stretch fabric.

I have the Ferrosi pants and love them but they might be too breathable. The reinforced shoulders and arms still breath but are more durable and wind resistant. They updated it recently and shed a few ounces.

Love the First Lite Corrugate Pants. Not highly wind resistant but love the stretch, very durable and breathe well. The jacket might fit in well.

Haven't tried anything from Beyond yet.

I owned a OR Ferossi hoody a couple of years ago, likely a different version. It was decent, but for the weight I thought the Alpine Start and the military Houdini were better (breathed better and pretty close to on par for durability) and let it go.

Haven't tried the other two listed.

Bump79

WKR
I owned a OR Ferossi hoody a couple of years ago, likely a different version. It was decent, but for the weight I thought the Alpine Start and the military Houdini were better (breathed better and pretty close to on par for durability) and let it go.

Haven't tried the other two listed.
I might have to gove the Alpine Start a try. Eberlestock has a wind shirt of sorts.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the two bits of information that manufacturers never provide, but would be very useful- the cfm- the measured breathability of a fabric and hydrostatic head, the measured water resistance

if you're using a wind layer strictly for glassing, tree stand, etc- then a cfm near 0 is fine, think rain jacket

if you're on the move, then it has to balanced with wind resistance and breathability- too much breathability it doesn't shed wind enough, too little and you start sweating

the Alpine Start is ~ 40 cfm, the military Houdini is in that ballpark as well; it would be so useful to have that information on all the other options, but not likely :(