Kifaru Wind River jacket review ***Updated 5/21/23***

I used it at about 38 degrees. Over a tee shirt, 1/4 fleece and cirrus puffy.
I didn't really feel like it kept any more wind off me then before I put it on.

I certainly didn't expect it to keep me any warmer.
But it is especially the same material as a tarp correct? I would of thought it would really keep the wind off.

But its quite possible I don't understand the application. As if is definitely an unfamiliar concept.

@mtwarden- Great review. I have a Sitka Flash jacket that I really like and use as a wind shirt and rain jacket for archery elk. Always seems to be in my pack because it’s versatile and light. Any reason to get the Kifaru wind jacket when I have the flash? I’m leaning no. Thanks

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden- Great review. I have a Sitka Flash jacket that I really like and use as a wind shirt and rain jacket for archery elk. Always seems to be in my pack because it’s versatile and light. Any reason to get the Kifaru wind jacket when I have the flash? I’m leaning no. Thanks

Thanks!

The Flash is going to offer a lot more water resistance (I use mine as a lightweight rain jacket when probability of precip is lower) than the Wind River. Wind resistance is going to be a little higher with the Flash as well.

The Wind River obviously is going to be lighter and less volume if that’s a concern. It’s also going to breathe a little better.

If there is going to be a fair amount of steep/strenuous hiking, I’d give the nod to the Wind River- it’s closer to a “windshirt”, the Flash closer to a rain jacket.

When I bring the Flash as my rain jacket, I almost have a lightweight windshirt as well- for 4-5 oz it sees a lot of use.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

But it is especially the same material as a tarp correct? I would of thought it would really keep the wind off.

But its quite possible I don't understand the application. As if is definitely an unfamiliar concept.

I would guess the cfm (air permeability) of the Wind River at around 5-10, which is pretty wind resistant (but at least somewhat breathable)- rain jacket is going to be closer to 1 (with almost no breathability), fleece (just plain old fleece) is around 75-100+ cfm- ie wind will rip right through it.

What I personally find the best use of a windshirt is when on the move. A typical base layer is going to have a high cfm (very little wind resistance), when I'm too chilled either due to temperature and/or wind in a base layer- very often just the addition of the a light windshirt is all that is needed.

This same scenario- if I'm wearing base layer and a mid-layer, too chilled- add the windshirt and it boosts the warmth a lot more than what one think 4-ish oz would.

A puffy + mid-layer + base layer is going to shed a fair bit of wind and keep quite a bit of warmth in; try it with just the base layer and the base layer + mid-layer.

If it's super windy and you're static for very long ie glassing, a rain jacket is going to provide better wind (and obviously precip) resistance vs a windshirt, BUT moving with a rain jacket is very likely to lead to a lot of sweating- which if possible, that's what we really want to avoid with our clothing system.

Especially with it's light weight and low volume, I just find a windshirt too good to leave behind :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
First lite has a windshirt as well.

Good deal- I really think all the hunting brands should include one in their lineup.

Sitka had the Flash for awhile, but I think something more breathable would be better yet.

S.Clancy

WKR

I'm not a huge fan of the classic wind shirt for hunting, the material is just way to thin in my experience. I have a Rab softshell wind hoody (I think it is 9 or 10 oz), for the extra 5-6 oz it is light yrs beyond any wind shirt I have ever had. Wind shirts to me are a super specialized piece that doesn't fit in most things I do

I guess it served a different role then I thought.

I've been using the corrugate guide jacket as a thinner, stretch, durable movement piece. Although this is much lighter and more compact for hauling around just in case.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a huge fan of the classic wind shirt for hunting, the material is just way to thin in my experience. I have a Rab softshell wind hoody (I think it is 9 or 10 oz), for the extra 5-6 oz it is light yrs beyond any wind shirt I have ever had. Wind shirts to me are a super specialized piece that doesn't fit in most things I do

Yeah the very lightest wind shirts, including this one, one definitely have to be a little cautious with. When I was backpacking in the Maatzals everything was spiny, so had to be even more cautious. But was pleasantly surprised that the 30d actually did pretty well.

What Rab jacket do you have?

S.Clancy

WKR
Yeah the very lightest wind shirts, including this one, one definitely have to be a little cautious with. When I was backpacking in the Maatzals everything was spiny, so had to be even more cautious. But was pleasantly surprised that the 30d actually did pretty well.

What Rab jacket do you have?

It is right at spec weight, which I get it, it's >2x what a really light wind shirt weighs. But, the RAB is really windproof, sheds light rain surprisingly well and very durable. I wear this with a hoody under in mild temps (think 50 ish) and wear a puffy under down into cool/cold temps. I really like to wear it in the winter bird hunting over a puffy or anytime I will be busting brush. I've also had it for 3-4 yrs and use it hard every year and it is no worse for it.

I'm also a huge fan of hooded jackets, they are just so much more useful and warm with a hood vs no hood. The hood on the RAB is magical.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I have a buddy that has one, he definitely likes his :)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I got one when Mike did and have worn it a lot. I love the lightweight sorta breathable option. Rode bike to work in 45-55 temps and it was good

About two weeks into daily use, the zipper got really hard to start. I put on my old man glasses and could see the teeth were bent.

I don't know how that happened, (slammed in a door, snagged on something, yanked on too hard, dunno?).

But I tried to straighten it out gently with needle nose but only slightly better and very difficult to use but still usable.

I was going to send it back but got busy and kept wearing it. Seems like it healed up and now zips fine.

Kifaru gear can actually heal itself? amazing.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does this compare to the BlackOvis specter wind jacket?

I haven't tried the Spector, but from their site

- looks to be a little heavier (which may be good if you're in a lot of thicker stuff) but does has a few more features- DWR finish, zipped hand pockets and a Napoleon pocket on the chest

twall13

WKR
I got one when Mike did and have worn it a lot. I love the lightweight sorta breathable option. Rode bike to work in 45-55 temps and it was good
I really like a wind shirt/layer for biking in cool temps. Lightweight, takes up almost no space so it can be packed in a pocket, blocks the wind, but doesn't cause you to overheat and sweat a ton with exertion. I have a couple of different options I use for biking, but they tend to be a little on the bright/vibrant color scheme for that use.

I think the key with these types of pieces is that they provide a surprising amount of warmth for the weight, but only when you are exerting some energy and creating heat. If you are stationary they really don't have much of an insulation value to speak of so they won't replace a fleece midlayer, for example, in that regard. I can see how it would really help retain heat by blocking the wind if used in conjunction with a fleece layer, it's just not a replacement in those scenarios. I think that's why I've never used one for hunting, it would be an addition to my system, not a replacement and I'm always hesitant to add weight. I think in the right situation it could be a great fit for me, but for whatever reason I still hesitate to change up my current layering setup. I've used my rain shell as a wind block when stationary in the past, maybe on specific hunts this could replace that when I'm not expecting to get wet. It would save a bit of space and weight over the rain gear.

Let's be honest, @mtwarden spends way more time in the backcountry than most of us, so if he feels it's a valuable piece in his gear closet, I must be missing something. This review about has me convinced to give it a try and pick up the Kifaru, at the very least I'm considering it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I really like a wind shirt/layer for biking in cool temps. Lightweight, takes up almost no space so it can be packed in a pocket, blocks the wind, but doesn't cause you to overheat and sweat a ton with exertion. I have a couple of different options I use for biking, but they tend to be a little on the bright/vibrant color scheme for that use.

I think the key with these types of pieces is that they provide a surprising amount of warmth for the weight, but only when you are exerting some energy and creating heat. If you are stationary they really don't have much of an insulation value to speak of so they won't replace a fleece midlayer, for example, in that regard. I can see how it would really help retain heat by blocking the wind if used in conjunction with a fleece layer, it's just not a replacement in those scenarios. I think that's why I've never used one for hunting, it would be an addition to my system, not a replacement and I'm always hesitant to add weight. I think in the right situation it could be a great fit for me, but for whatever reason I still hesitate to change up my current layering setup. I've used my rain shell as a wind block when stationary in the past, maybe on specific hunts this could replace that when I'm not expecting to get wet. It would save a bit of space and weight over the rain gear.

Let's be honest, @mtwarden spends way more time in the backcountry than most of us, so if he feels it's a valuable piece in his gear closet, I must be missing something. This review about has me convinced to give it a try and pick up the Kifaru, at the very least I'm considering it.
good angle

Let us know if you try it. be curios if it would change your system

the lack of bulk/weight makes it very appealing

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
I used my Wind River jacket over the weekend with out on a vermin control mission, and I have to say it’s a nice complement to my hunting attire. It is off course feather weight and is perfect for the cool morning and evening hunts.

Size XL is pretty good – sleeves could be longer but that’s just me.

Would I recommend it yes it’s a good wee jacket.

Regards,
Glendine.