Is the Sitka Ambient a must have?

Is the sitka Ambient a "must have"?

After it's been in use... does it live up to the hype?

A local place has the core heavy on sale for 94$ right now and I was considering snatching up another, but the Ambient is also on sale there right now... makes me think it might be worth a try if it does in fact live up to the hype.

what's good about it After a year of hard use?

what's bad about it?

I have a heavy hoodie, and a traverse cold weather hoody and I genuinely love them both for very different reasons and uses. I can't say that either is perfect but I use them both a ton.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes.

Mine has some wear but damn is it impressive. I found it to be significantly better than a grid fleece like a core heavyweight.
How well does it layer, seems like it might be a little thick and restrictive under a puffy?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve used it all year under puffies and it’s been fine. I have been using the “hoody” over a baselayer, no experience with the jacket version. I used it a lot traveling, and for waterfowl, and it’s just really flexible/nice in use.

Since unfaced it can be a bit sticky over a baselayer but nothing bad.

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
nothing else like it, you can be sure of it.
not that i would buy it but the cuffs on that hoodie are a poor design. they're not comfortable and ride up your arm as shown in the photo of the guy over the creek. i hate that!

Im shocked how well it performs. It regulates well and your never too hot or cold even as an everyday jacket. You can go out in the 30s for awhile walking then sit in an office and not overheat.

sr80

WKR
mannn for 95 bucks grab three and send me a spare! I love my ambient. I dont care for the fit on myself, i had to get a large/tall for the sleeves to be long enough. The torso is super long but i use the cinch cord to keep it just below my belt line. But its a great piece, super warm when you need it, breathes well while hiking. I feel like it sucks the moisture out of your base layer. It was pretty cold here for a bit and i was using my SG helio grid fleece next to skin and then the ambient over that, my helio didnt even have time to get sweaty and wet it was moving right into the ambient. When i stopped and took my pack off there was moisture in the ambient but it dries so fast. I was super impressed with this combo.

IMO “must have” is a little subjective. I used mine in a variety of temps this year and really like it. It sits right in between a mid weight puffy and a grid fleece and is the best of both in some ways. I insulates, but dumps heat like a grid fleece, maybe better, when you are running hard. It stretches far better than any puffy but it isn’t as stretchy as a fleece. I never noticed it binding me.

Mine layered well over a peleton 97 and under an axis jacket in some cold and snowy temps in CO. It was awesome earlier as a stand alone piece in the wind River range. Back east, ir has found its way into my bow hunting kit.

I am glad I bought it and will keep finding ways to wear it. I wont be tossing my grid fleece just yet, but the ambient is a cool option to have.

OP
E
Yes.

Mine has some wear but damn is it impressive. I found it to be significantly better than a grid fleece like a core heavyweight.
How long have you had it? How many hunts have you had it on? Do you wear it for anything else?

OP
E
nothing else like it, you can be sure of it.
not that i would buy it but the cuffs on that hoodie are a poor design. they're not comfortable and ride up your arm as shown in the photo of the guy over the creek. i hate that!
I'm 6'2 with gorilla arms... you think I'd need a large tall?

OP
E
mannn for 95 bucks grab three and send me a spare! I love my ambient. I dont care for the fit on myself, i had to get a large/tall for the sleeves to be long enough. The torso is super long but i use the cinch cord to keep it just below my belt line. But its a great piece, super warm when you need it, breathes well while hiking. I feel like it sucks the moisture out of your base layer. It was pretty cold here for a bit and i was using my SG helio grid fleece next to skin and then the ambient over that, my helio didnt even have time to get sweaty and wet it was moving right into the ambient. When i stopped and took my pack off there was moisture in the ambient but it dries so fast. I was super impressed with this combo.
I was thinking the same thing... but with 2 already, I feel like I should round out my system with a different piece especially since it's also on sale

OP
E
Im shocked how well it performs. It regulates well and your never too hot or cold even as an everyday jacket. You can go out in the 30s for awhile walking then sit in an office and not overheat.
You ever use it for higher level activity? I run year round and am looking for something that won't sweat out quite as much

OP
E
IMO “must have” is a little subjective. I used mine in a variety of temps this year and really like it. It sits right in between a mid weight puffy and a grid fleece and is the best of both in some ways. I insulates, but dumps heat like a grid fleece, maybe better, when you are running hard. It stretches far better than any puffy but it isn’t as stretchy as a fleece. I never noticed it binding me.

Mine layered well over a peleton 97 and under an axis jacket in some cold and snowy temps in CO. It was awesome earlier as a stand alone piece in the wind River range. Back east, ir has found its way into my bow hunting kit.

I am glad I bought it and will keep finding ways to wear it. I wont be tossing my grid fleece just yet, but the ambient is a cool option to have.
How quiet is it for deer hunting?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
How long have you had it? How many hunts have you had it on? Do you wear it for anything else?
Since it released, I can't remember if that was spring or summer. I've used it camping, running, waterfowl hunting, big game archery/rifle, and travel. All used as 2nd layer fleece replacement. I've lost track of an exact number of hunting days with it, I would say 15ish days.

The comments on the sleeves are true, they are too short. I like the torso length, but it is longer than anything sitka produces it would seem.

I've used it enough to say that debating it is a true waste of time - it's great. There's not a whole lot I could say to convey its uniqueness and effectiveness. Again I am talking about the quarter zip hoody.

Tdonat

FNG
I bought one during archery season this year and wore it just about every time I went out. Layered up during rifle season in the cold it work’s awesome. Wore it during bow season quite a bit over the top of my base layer and it was about perfect. Definitely keeps you warm but not overly warm. My only three problems with it are, the lacks of pockets on it. Maybe that’s just me but I like pockets on everything. During archery season I wore it as an outer a few times and my backpack rubbed the material in the shoulder area and kind of chafed the material so it looks funky now. As stated earlier the cuffs on the sleeves do kind of roll up. Other than those minor things I love it. Even wear it as regular clothing quite often.