Is the Sitka Ambient a must have?

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
ambient and the kenai aren't really an apples to apples comparison
Why would you say this? I just returned my Kenai....going to order 2 sizes on their next sale to see which actually fits me better as the XL was really box shaped unlike any of their other gear

sr80

WKR
Why would you say this? I just returned my Kenai....going to order 2 sizes on their next sale to see which actually fits me better as the XL was really box shaped unlike any of their other gear
The kenai is a lightly insulated synthetic jacket with 3dfx, the ambient used the primaloft evolve. Two different matetials. Kenai is more comparable to say the SG cirque lite minus the grid fleece side panels on the cirque. Just my opinion though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was hoping to have a Kenai in my mid-layer shootout review, but Kuiu for some reason declined????

^ Not having one in hand, but reading through their specs/reviews, I agree with the above- the Kenai is very likely to be warmer and probably more weather (wind/precip) proof, but less likely to do better with internal moisture than the Ambient

It really depends on what you're looking for out of mid-layer (as you'll see when my review gets posted), there simply is no one mid-layer that rules them all- too many factors go into choosing one that is right for your use(s).

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I was hoping to have a Kenai in my mid-layer shootout review, but Kuiu for some reason declined????

^ Not having one in hand, but reading through their specs/reviews, I agree with the above- the Kenai is very likely to be warmer and probably more weather (wind/precip) proof, but less likely to do better with internal moisture than the Ambient

It really depends on what you're looking for out of mid-layer (as you'll see when my review gets posted), there simply is no one mid-layer that rules them all- too many factors go into choosing one that is right for your use(s).
weird they didn't want it tested out. When does the review drop? I'm trying to narrow down my midlayer selection as i do have too many i believe. Ambient Hoody/Jacket, Atom LT, Aerolite, Just had the Kenai and sent back as i felt it was just an odd fit and overlapping everything i currently owned. Except i love pit zips...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
weird they didn't want it tested out. When does the review drop? I'm trying to narrow down my midlayer selection as i do have too many i believe. Ambient Hoody/Jacket, Atom LT, Aerolite, Just had the Kenai and sent back as i felt it was just an odd fit and overlapping everything i currently owned. Except i love pit zips...

should be soon- I think the editor has sent it up :)

I think the pit zips could be a good idea on mid-layers whose primary function is warmth and secondarily performance on the move- was one of the reasons I wanted a Kenai in the lineup to test that theory.

prm

WKR
The challenge with mid-layers is not finding a quality piece. Many good options. The challenge is making it fit within a system where each layer is additive and they work together. Comparisons of mid-layers, to me, is less about "better", and more about their relative performance so I am better informed as to how it might work within other layers I have.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
The challenge with mid-layers is not finding a quality piece. Many good options. The challenge is making it fit within a system where each layer is additive and they work together. Comparisons of mid-layers, to me, is less about "better", and more about their relative performance so I am better informed as to how it might work within other layers I have.
Been running all winter with pack training. I've found currently base + ambient hoody + kenai vest + whatever you choose for an outer to be amazing for myself.

prm

WKR
Sounds like a good combo. I have hunted for a number of years with the following system:
Base layer > Peleton 240 > Arcteryx Atom > Kifaru LPP

Every year I reevaluate my gear and I have yet to find any fault with this for Oct and Nov hunts in CO Rockies (10k ft+ Oct, 8-10k ft Nov). Moves enough moisture, never too hot or cold, it just works. If it's going to be on the warmer side I bias towards my silkweight base while if it's colder I tend to use the Aerowool base layer. I keep looking at all the new choices available but I haven't seen a definitive reason to pull the trigger on one of the new mids yet.

If it were much warmer I might look to move more moisture. Perhaps the Ambient would be better than the 240? I did use a Kelvin Active one year when it was warmer during 1st rifle. While it was OK, I missed the wind protection of the 240. The beauty of the 240 is that changing winds makes almost no difference. With the Kelvin Active I could go from warm to chilly in the same temps just based on wind. It's like finding a scope that always dials correct and never needs re-zero, you'll never put up the nonsense again. For me it's the same with layers that handle wind. I will not be without a mid that resists wind for hunting. If I were cross country skiing, hiking at a good pace extensively, or other high energy activities then my priorities would shift and moving moisture would be more important.

Back to the topic at hand, I do look forward to reading more about how they perform and am always open to a better mousetrap.

Edit: I also have a Kutana Hybrid. It was only available a couple years apparently. Did the Kenai replace it? Seems similar.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
How well does the Sitka Mountain Jacket move moisture? I saw on a Sitka layering video they recommend that over the Ambient in windy conditions. I'd like an Ambient, but made with windstopper. The not quite as active layer Ambient!

I have an old Mountain Hardwear jacket with windstopper (or whatever brand they used) and it is fantastic. If I could have only got it in an earth tone vice black, it would be a go-to hunting jacket.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Sounds like a good combo. I have hunted for a number of years with the following system:
Base layer > Peleton 240 > Arcteryx Atom > Kifaru LPP

Every year I reevaluate my gear and I have yet to find any fault with this for Oct and Nov hunts in CO Rockies (10k ft+ Oct, 8-10k ft Nov). Moves enough moisture, never too hot or cold, it just works. If it's going to be on the warmer side I bias towards my silkweight base while if it's colder I tend to use the Aerowool base layer. I keep looking at all the new choices available but I haven't seen a definitive reason to pull the trigger on one of the new mids yet.

If it were much warmer I might look to move more moisture. Perhaps the Ambient would be better than the 240? I did use a Kelvin Active one year when it was warmer during 1st rifle. While it was OK, I missed the wind protection of the 240. The beauty of the 240 is that changing winds makes almost no difference. With the Kelvin Active I could go from warm to chilly in the same temps just based on wind. It's like finding a scope that always dials correct and never needs re-zero, you'll never put up the nonsense again. For me it's the same with layers that handle wind. I will not be without a mid that resists wind for hunting. If I were cross country skiing, hiking at a good pace extensively, or other high energy activities then my priorities would shift and moving moisture would be more important.

Back to the topic at hand, I do look forward to reading more about how they perform and am always open to a better mousetrap.

Edit: I also have a Kutana Hybrid. It was only available a couple years apparently. Did the Kenai replace it? Seems similar.
I had the kelvin active and now have the ambient hoody. I do not regret the lateral move as the ambient moves moisture so well and keeps you warmer. I would say its comparable to the KAJ in regards to the wind, anything above 10MPH you are going to feel it.

The outer of my choice with my setup is in fact the 240(Can go over all my layers or just take the Kenai Vest off), and i have not found anything that compares to it. Sitka Mountain is close but does not breathe as well.

I also had the Kutana Hybrid and it would be a more durable less insulated Kenai of new, to me was very niche.

Way i see the Ambient Hoody(Not jacket as i did find it too warm) is a complete grid fleece killer. it moves the moisture just as good and doesn't overheat you at the same time, along with keeping you warmer until you need a heavier insulating layer all together.

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
How well does the Sitka Mountain Jacket move moisture? I saw on a Sitka layering video they recommend that over the Ambient in windy conditions. I'd like an Ambient, but made with windstopper. The not quite as active layer Ambient!

I have an old Mountain Hardwear jacket with windstopper (or whatever brand they used) and it is fantastic. If I could have only got it in an earth tone vice black, it would be a go-to hunting jacket.
I would compare it to the 240, 240 being warmer but less windblock than the Mountain Jacket.

P Carter

WKR
Does anyone have experience with this? Another possible cheaper ambient alternative.
On sale for $125 now, wondering how quiet it is?
Also posted this in the Midlayer shootout forum

This says it is a octoyarn, which I believe is the same material used in the mountain headwear air mesh and Arctyrx proton fl. I don’t have any experience with it, but believe it is intended to be similar to Polartec alpha, though (again, I believe) that Polartec alpha is more breathable. For what it’s worth. I have only tried alpha and Primaloft evolve, which I like. Good price, give it a shot and report back!

dtrkyman

WKR
Did a quick hike with the ambient(jacket), low 40s temp but really windy. Quick 1.6 mile up and down basically, 735 foot gain, have not timed it lately but with a weighted pack I usually make it in 20 ish minutes, I had no pack on during this quick hike.

I was basically hot, I am not a huge sweater and did not get too much sweat going but while hot I was comfortable and relatively dry, by the time I made it back down I was comfortable and dry!

Liking the jacket but damn the long sleeves annoy the hell out of me! My other Sitka stuff in the same size sleeve length is perfect!

Pit zip would be nice also.

Maybe take it and have it hemmed?

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6'2 with gorilla arms... you think I'd need a large tall?
I’m the same height and a knuckle dragger with long arms as well. I wear the large tall just so the sleeve length works good for me. Regular was just too short. And per your post yes it’s a must have for me. It was my favorite piece of new gear I picked up last season.

OP
E
I’m the same height and a knuckle dragger with long arms as well. I wear the large tall just so the sleeve length works good for me. Regular was just too short. And per your post yes it’s a must have for me. It was my favorite piece of new gear I picked up last season.
I ended up with an xl and the fit is good, but the body is just a touch big. If I got another I'd go large tall for sure. I actually found the mdwi to be too warm snowshoeing this weekend. Around mile 5 I was over heating a touch and it was only 28 out but man that sun was hot 🤣

Right now the Kelvin active hoody is about $120 cheaper than ambient jacket. I am sold on ambient for a mid layer but the sales price of kelvin active has me second guessing. Is the ambient warmer and breathes better than kelvin active?

I love my ambient hoody, but like everyone else has stated, it’s not meant for durability. I used mine everyday during Montana’s rifle season and it held up really well under a shell until I had to strip down to pack out some elk quarters. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but the ambient got really roughed up from the heavily loaded pack, almost to the point of tearing in a few spots. I definitely didn’t use it as my outer layer for packing heavy loads again that season. That said, I used it hard during ski season and into spring and it still performs well and does its job. Definitely a nice piece. I went from wearing almost exclusively wool since that’s how all the older guides in camp operated to spending the money on the ambient and I’ve loved it so far.

I really appreciate the feedback. Think Im going to pull the trigger on the ambient over the older Sitka kelvin. I will wear it with my merino wool (fl furnace) base and under the jetstream jacket. I just picked up the kevlin lite down for glass but it doesn't seem very warm.

Right now the Kelvin active hoody is about $120 cheaper than ambient jacket. I am sold on ambient for a mid layer but the sales price of kelvin active has me second guessing. Is the ambient warmer and breathes better than kelvin active?
I have both but Active in zip up jacket. Ambient in hoody. Yes there is a warmth, drying speed and breath ability different all in favor of the ambient.

I use points for all my gear, but i wouldn’t pay premium cash out of pocket for the ambient, but I always grab the ambient over the active.