why is a windshirt missing from almost all the lineups?

I've got a MC one, it drops my comfort level about 15 degrees, and is worth the DWR treatment if you get into a light rain.
+1 to the OTTE gear windshirt. I've had one for 6 years now and it's one of my most used pieces aside from my atom lt hoody.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I wouldn't put the 240 in the same class as an ultralight shell though, it certainly is a little heavier. I don't disagree the 240 is a nice piece, but in my experience that BD alpine start breathes WAY better than that 240 does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The only time I would wear a wind shirt is when I'm stationary, so my rain jacket is fine for that. If I'm on the move I want full breathe-ability with whatever I'm wearing.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ a good windshirt should offer high breathability while on the move; while still keeping wind and light precip at bay; agreed that if you're stationary a rain jacket will do the trick

a rain jacket on the move will also keep wind and precipitation at bay, but even the most breathable waterproof membrane (zip pits and all) is likely going to result in wet layers from sweat

when done correctly, it's a really versatile layer

dotman

WKR
I have a wild things wind shirt and while moving I feel like I'm wearing a garbage bag, it gets way to hot and sweaty. Might work for some but not me. I'm in the only need wind blocked when stationary camp as well.

Also, a good merino baselayer will dry super fast and still retain warmth, guess I don't see why make your self dehydrate quicker by wearing a wind shirt while active to then put on a dry shirt when glassing unless you use cotton.

The air permeability of the two current WT 1.0 windshirt materials vary dramatically. I lab tested the "Coyote" color version at 2.7 CFM and the multicam version at 29.8 CFM.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty significant difference, you would think the military would spec their stuff pretty tightly- maybe the coyote one wasn't intended for the military???!

dotman

WKR
The air permeability of the two current WT 1.0 windshirt materials vary dramatically. I lab tested the "Coyote" color version at 2.7 CFM and the multicam version at 29.8 CFM.

Mine is grey so probably similar to the coyote brown in breathability.

LBFowler

WKR
I live in a PCU level 4 (beyond version). A pendleton wool shirt and a wind shell has an amazingly wide comfortable temperature range between the two of them, I'll go from 90*F down to probably 40*, swap the pendleton for a PCU level 2 or patagonia R1 and you can get well below freezing.

I never used a windshirt in the PNW because it was just too wet, but here in CO the raingear mostly stays in the closet. I think the hunting crowd is much more open to thin, single layer softshells then traditional woven windshirts as they are perceived as being tougher and quieter.

Kuiu has a great wind shirt in the peleton 240. They advertise it as being wind resistant. I have one and it works great in the wind and breathes great.

I added the 240 last year and am surprised at the weather I can stand while wearing it. I wore it in CO the last 2 seasons and in temps around freezing with 2 merino base layers I was fine. This last season I was in temps in the upper 30's low 40's with wind that would blow my trekking pole straight and hiking I was fine.

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
Proper makes a windshirt for around $40. It is a little short in the arms for me but for the price I will live. Only wore it once because we just barely started having fall like weather last week here in AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never understood why so many items came hooded. The only thing I want with a hood is a raincoat. And most of the time don't use it on my raincoat.

TheTone

WKR
I'm still bummed at myself for missing out on the Sitka one when they made it. I'd love to see it come back to the lineup

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have hoods on everything :)

supposedly Sitka is looking at adding a windshirt back into their lineup- I know one guy that would give it a hard look

chindits

WKR
The closest I've come to sporting a wind shirt is the U.S. Army ECWS gen III windjacket and I love that thing. It's tough enough to low crawl in or use while on the dirtbike over armor. The chest slash pockets with mesh liner allows for great ventilation and reveals what a joke pit zips are. The pockets are also functional for storing all sorts of different sized items and accessing those items while wearing a pack. I tried the kuiu 240 as a replacement, but I immediately discovered the pockets are inaccessible for those who wear a pack with a hip belt during the hunt.

excaliber

WKR
I use my Microtex shirt as my over my base layer/wind shirt. It does a pretty decent job of cutting the wind and breathes well. I get hot easily so I can't really even hike in this shirt in temps above freezing with just a base layer underneath.

Once I stop the Microtex does a really nice job of cutting wind until it gets above 20 mph depending on temps.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I'm really happy with the Level 5 pants, enough so I've been eyeing the jacket:D