Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Not lacking anywhere dude! :D

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • All the above except the last one!

Votes: 9 9.1%

• Total voters

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I voted strength training and by that I mean actual barbell strength work. I don’t live close to the gym and the gym dosent have a shower so I don’t want to go before working all day. I still go but it’s like 2 days one week, 3 days a week for a month then no heavy weights for a few weeks.

I do a bunch of kettlebell/sandbag/body weight work at home as well as rowing, rucking and weighted jump rope. Just not much consistency with the strength work.

Pdzoller

WKR
Due to my job I get as much body weight work out as I can handle. I took some bad advice and just focused on cardio/aerobic exercise last year and definitely felt lacking in the mountains. Putting more emphasis on strength and rucking this year. My diet is pretty good but I could definitely lay off the nicotine. I can run for miles but once I get a pack on in the 70+ pound range I’m burnt quicker than I’d like.

Off topic but I got a new American Bulldog pup that I’m training to pack some stuff and as a guardian/companion. His motivation has definitely improved mine.

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider
Three kids in 3.5 years with the youngest now at 8 months. I'm lucky if I get a shower 3 times a week and get everyone to church on time on Sunday. Wake up at 5 and work a bit before the 2 hours of family chaos starts and then work all day until I start on supper and the chaos starts again from 5pm to 8pm. Then it's basically juggling which kids doesn't want to sleep for 2 hours until I make it to bed for a few hours of broken sleep.

The biggest thing I can control at this season in life is mobility and diet. On a whole 30 diet and I work from home so when I'm in meetings I'm always rolling around on the floor (my wife is a PT so I have good guidance there). We try to get out on walks every night, but the weather isn't exactly kid friendly at least half the days in the week over this 4-5 month stretch. I usually carry 10-15 lbs less in the summer because we're outside doing things every evening. I'm more on the walk myself into sheep shape the first couple days of the hunt and go from there program. Time is catching up with me for that tactic though. Hopefully the youngest is sleeping better by spring and I can get back to my evening rucks that I did before kids. If not for the exercise, at least for the alone time and quiet!

What are your thoughts on the Whole 30 diet? My FIL is real big on "XYZ foods make me ache", and now I'm starting to notice it as well.

jake0621

FNG
After a couple of hip surgeries in my late 20's (I'm 34 now) I'm embarrassed to see how out of shape I am now compared to then when I actively worked out, in only a handful of years. I was a little guy then 5'8 150 pounds, now I'm 5'8 only 140 pounds but my arthritis sure appreciates some of the atrophy and carrying around less of the little bit of mass I did have

mc67

FNG
I think if I had a good stretching routine I would be less sore after hard days either in the gym or the mountain.

wyodan

WKR
I do ZERO mobility/stretching, and I am pretty sure it affects all of my joints. It certainly doesn't help being stuck behind a computer all day, I do not believe mankind was built for that. I won't do any mobility unless I am in a class for that, which probably answers the question of what I need to add to my regimen. If I could only convince them to teach DDP Yoga.

Whisky

WKR
Back in the Beachbody/P90x DVD era I once snapped a yoga workout DVD in half and chucked it across the room, after about 5 minutes of attempting to do it. No sane person does yoga. But, I always think of that when I'm trying to hike through/over deadfall for some reason.

I severely lack in flexibility, and would definitely benefit from cleaning up the diet and booze a bit.

bbell

WKR
That's going to be my next thread :)

I'm looking for just a few good exercises that cover pretty much everything- one that looks like it will make the list is the Spiderman lunge with rotation. If I can get it down to a 10 minute or less session, plan on doing ti everyday.
I could use more of everything but mobility is my weak area. Or at least the one I am noticing more. Interested to see what you come up with. I am doing the starting strength program for lifting and was thinking a few compound mobility moves would be great.

4rcgoat

WKR
Diet and mobility for sure. Winter is the worst for me,I don't pay much attention to my diet and my weight reflects that, I'm hovering around 205 now,by the end of September I'm usually down to 185# where I should be all year. I'm a framer by trade and think mobility exercises would benefit me a ton. Lower back,shoulders, and hips are always sore and stiff. Need to get back under the bar soon. Bought my first mountain bike in 20 years and plan on doing a lot of riding this year so I better start un@%$king myself!

ManBun

FNG
Hey everyone! New to the forum. Mobility was my vote, but also believe if you have full range of motion you’re doing okay. I eat well 90% of the time (I still like to enjoy living) and am naturally pretty strong. One thing that I’ve learned over the years of hunting Hells Canyon for most of my life that’s not mentioned is the importance of balance work. You don’t need to walk a tight rope (wouldn’t hurt if you could) but being able to control your body easier during off positions helps you from getting injured due to lack of mobility.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I do ZERO mobility/stretching, and I am pretty sure it affects all of my joints. It certainly doesn't help being stuck behind a computer all day, I do not believe mankind was built for that. I won't do any mobility unless I am in a class for that, which probably answers the question of what I need to add to my regimen. If I could only convince them to teach DDP Yoga.
I do a fist bit of mobility work when I use kettlebells but I almost never stretch. I don’t feel like it’s causing any harm though. There used to be a Saturday morning yoga thing here but it got shut down because of Covid back in 2020 and the person who ran it moved away so it’s not a thing anymore.

Trying to catch a Diamond Cutter while improving your mobility?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
2 e-z things to do are dead hangs and horse stance.

As we age the hips become very important...remember there are 3 planes of motion to do..hip rotation is very important to exercise.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! New to the forum. Mobility was my vote, but also believe if you have full range of motion you’re doing okay. I eat well 90% of the time (I still like to enjoy living) and am naturally pretty strong. One thing that I’ve learned over the years of hunting Hells Canyon for most of my life that’s not mentioned is the importance of balance work. You don’t need to walk a tight rope (wouldn’t hurt if you could) but being able to control your body easier during off positions helps you from getting injured due to lack of mobility.
Welcome to the Forum! Let me guess, 6.5 Creedmoor shooter? LOL, own it.
Good point on the stability, or instability often times. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. It's combining those with drive and the mental game to push through and continue to hunt that gets the meat pole or not.

What are your thoughts on the Whole 30 diet? My FIL is real big on "XYZ foods make me ache", and now I'm starting to notice it as well.
My thoughts are that I hate it! But it does work. We usually do it once a year as a reset. The intention of whole 30 is an elimination diet to find problem foods - much like you're describing. So it's scorched earth for 30 days and then you slowly add a different food every week or few days. That's how you find your problem foods.

We're into week 3. I'm down 9 lbs just by doing whole 30. Currently at 218 (6 foot 2). The first couple of weeks were the hardest. Last week it seriously felt like torture going shopping for groceries. Last night I went again and didn't have any of the same cravings or Pavlovian responses to seeing different junk food. So I hate it less now.

I seriously believe I was addicted to sugar, so that has been the biggest positive to whole 30 for me. Yesterday I had carrots for a snack and they tasted sweet, which was awesome. The hardest part is finding meals. I'm fine with just rotating moose steak, salmon, and moose burgers every day. My wife needs more variety. Whole 30 takes out the simple ingredient, which makes building a meal time-consuming. And with little kids and jobs, an extra 30 minutes every evening in the kitchen is not something we have time for. But we manage, it's worth it.

I do feel like I've been a better employee. I'm more focused and managing my time better. Both me and my wife were pretty grumpy the first couple of weeks. Probably because it's hard to not feel hungry until your body adjusts. No difference with sleep, as my little sleep stealers are the main culprit there.

Last edited: