2022 AK guided sheep hunt write up

DaleW

WKR
Man congratulations on the ram, what an awesome write up! I love stories of regular guys sheep hunting. Obviously one has to do fairly well to afford one, but if you make it a priority(and have support) it's within reach of more people than just 1%ers.

I should be ready in about 10 years. I hope I'm at the place where I can enjoy it and not be stressing the entire time.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Man congratulations on the ram, what an awesome write up! I love stories of regular guys sheep hunting. Obviously one has to do fairly well to afford one, but if you make it a priority(and have support) it's within reach of more people than just 1%ers.

I should be ready in about 10 years. I hope I'm at the place where I can enjoy it and not be stressing the entire time.

“Have support” being the key component. I never thought it would happen and one night when we were out to dinner she just told me to do it.

I’ve written about it elsewhere on here, and it may sound corny or ridiculous, but the trip was pretty impactful on my life. I’m hesitant to really go into it more but it might be the thing that makes it click for someone so hear it goes.

It Really made me take to heart how I needed to bring my A game as a father and a husband, in my business, etc every single day if I wanted to live this life I wanted to live. I quit drinking in July of 2021 and I got the nod to go in September. Never asked, but I highly doubt she would have been so supportive had I not. The lead up to the trip, getting in shape and shooting and rucking, all those things cemented my decision to go dry.

Every day during the lead up, and honestly for a while after, whenever I felt sorry for myself or tried to be a victim, I’d remind myself I was getting to chase my dream. And more importantly had a family that believed in me. I remember going to the airport and having a feeling of “dude you just rolled the dice on 30k for a hunt. You can’t quit. You HAVE to go all in”. That lead me to think “so you’re only going to fight this hard for them when you get to go sheep hunting?” and that hit me hard.

Along the way some friendships I had grew immensely stronger. 3 of my friends specifically were such a huge part of the training, gear prep and just along for the ride. Im forever grateful for them, one of them being a WKR.

It also strengthened my Faith and lead me to learning more about being the man God wants me to be. Long ways to go there but ultimately I’m pretty confident He wants me to go big.

Anyways, thanks for all the kind words. If there’s one thing I hope someone takes away is bet on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Great writeup and perspective. The perspective and life outlook that will stay with you is more important than the ram. The sheep hunt was only the vessel that got you there…

I hope to one day do I writeup like this myself! Thanks again!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
“Have support” being the key component. I never thought it would happen and one night when we were out to dinner she just told me to do it.

I’ve written about it elsewhere on here, and it may sound corny or ridiculous, but the trip was pretty impactful on my life. I’m hesitant to really go into it more but it might be the thing that makes it click for someone so hear it goes.

It Really made me take to heart how I needed to bring my A game as a father and a husband, in my business, etc every single day if I wanted to live this life I wanted to live. I quit drinking in July of 2021 and I got the nod to go in September. Never asked, but I highly doubt she would have been so supportive had I not. The lead up to the trip, getting in shape and shooting and rucking, all those things cemented my decision to go dry.

Every day during the lead up, and honestly for a while after, whenever I felt sorry for myself or tried to be a victim, I’d remind myself I was getting to chase my dream. And more importantly had a family that believed in me. I remember going to the airport and having a feeling of “dude you just rolled the dice on 30k for a hunt. You can’t quit. You HAVE to go all in”. That lead me to think “so you’re only going to fight this hard for them when you get to go sheep hunting?” and that hit me hard.

Along the way some friendships I had grew immensely stronger. 3 of my friends specifically were such a huge part of the training, gear prep and just along for the ride. Im forever grateful for them, one of them being a WKR.

It also strengthened my Faith and lead me to learning more about being the man God wants me to be. Long ways to go there but ultimately I’m pretty confident He wants me to go big.

Anyways, thanks for all the kind words. If there’s one thing I hope someone takes away is bet on yourself.

That’s badass dude.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
congrats on a great sheep and making positive life changes. Looks like you are being rewarded continuously (both in hunting and in your personal life). I will be hunting the Wrangell's this fall for sheep, so this thread is great inspiration!

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
congrats on a great sheep and making positive life changes. Looks like you are being rewarded continuously (both in hunting and in your personal life). I will be hunting the Wrangell's this fall for sheep, so this thread is great inspiration!

Thanks, I appreciate it. Who are you hunting with?

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the great sheep and thank you for taking the time to write up your adventure. I know that I found reading these very helpful in preparing for my own sheep hunt. Memory for a lifetime!

Great write up man. Appreciate you taking the time to write it up. I am headed to AK for Caribou this August and know that a sheep hunt is my next goal, especially after seeing AK for the first time. I am also alcohol free since August of ‘21 and just had my second kiddo last week. I strongly resonate with your comments about believing in yourself, being the man god made you to be and chasing your dreams. Very motivational. Thanks for sharing. About to go look at sheep outfitters 🤣

Clint

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Great write up man. Appreciate you taking the time to write it up. I am headed to AK for Caribou this August and know that a sheep hunt is my next goal, especially after seeing AK for the first time. I am also alcohol free since August of ‘21 and just had my second kiddo last week. I strongly resonate with your comments about believing in yourself, being the man god made you to be and chasing your dreams. Very motivational. Thanks for sharing. About to go look at sheep outfitters

Clint

Glad it resonated and I appreciate the kind words! Definitely helps with the “sharer’s remorse”. Pumped for your trip. Feel free to pm me with any questions/thoughts.

OP
schmalzy

schmalzy

WKR
Just got notice he was ready to be picked up at taxidermist.

a0c20e2278f89d4ce0f188f9a12bab2a.jpg