• Not lacking anywhere dude! :D

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • All the above except the last one!

Votes: 9 9.1%

• Total voters

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty happy with my diet- nothing overly stringent, but eat pretty clean.

I'm getting a shit ton of aerobic activity in- hiking single track trails almost daily (average close to 200' of gain/mile), a backpacking trip almost monthly and a decent amount of miles snowshoeing/backcountry skiing in the "winter". Most of this is in Zone 2 with some Zone 3 & 4 mixed in.

I have a rucking (weighted 40-70 lbs incrementally) plan I implement about 6-8 weeks out from hunting season that thus far has worked really well.

I've been pretty good about lifting twice a week- a modified Wendler 5/3/1 (focused on a progressive increase in deadlifts/squats/bench/overhead press).

Drink about a six pack of beer a week- none, one or two max. Worth eliminating, possibly????

BUT where I'm lacking is in mobility work, no doubt an important component- especially at 65! :D

I'm hoping to remedy that lack soon.

rideold

WKR
Strength training is my nemesis lately. I have the time but not the motivation. Last fall was a wake up for me when I bit off more than I could chew on one trip. I knew I was pushing my limit but forgot that my age means I can't push the limit quite as hard as I used to!

Wrench

WKR
This last year my testosterone tanked. I was quite a beast and now more fluffy. My mental toughness is the only thing I have going for me today. Hopefully I can get this back to the good old days.

2 , 3, 4 & 5 for the most part, since the end of December. But then, I am going to give myself a pass for a while longer.

Mobility and diet. Although, the diet is starting to round out pretty well to something I believe is healthy and feasible for long-term happiness. Mobility is a constant battle and time isn't your friend.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I do four strength training days a week with zone 2 (run, bike, or row) layered in however feels right. I think I hit all the mobility I want through full ranges during strength training, although that might catch up to me at some point. Diet is fairly good while still allowing me to enjoy eating out with friends and have dessert when I want.

I'd say my weak point now is weighted rucking as I don't regularly do that until season is coming up. Another thing I don't do regularly is high intensity exercise. I occasionally pick some crossfitty style workout that looks fun and regret it afterwards when I'm laying on the floor.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm real good at getting the intense stuff and weight training. My problem is really getting in the Z1 and Z2 base building work. I used to get that as a part of work (fisheries) so never worried about it. My goal for this year is to really do a lot of training in Z1 and Z2.....so I'm gonna be real bored.

Another goal is to be more intentional with my weight training programming. If there is any evidence of overtraining, back off a couple cycles and build back up. That way maybe my body won't be so tore up by the end of the year. Again, it's boring, but works.

LOL I am changing it as we speak. My couch potatoism is catching up to me
I have bed-atoism right now. But hey, Tomorrow I offically transition from in home physical therapy, to outpatient physical therapy. I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet. But, I look forward to it, mostly the getting out of the house part.

But I have a good excuse. I am one year-one month or so out from five different surgeries. I can hardly wait to be back to getting back out there. I mean these new to me skinny legs need to be sent packing.

My weak point is called winter. By december I'm in fairly good shape for 72. Given three months of frigid weather I'm prone to work indoors. I can focus more outdoors in April even though the snow doesn't stop until the last of May. I have had 6 weeks of below zero and after feeding stock and an hour walk, I'm ready to moniter the stove and work indoors.

The things missing here are endurance and recovery. As I get older I find that my ability to drive forward in places I have hunted for years has diminished by roughly half. I have to plan on where I would like to go and can I return. My walking speed has diminished . I can be steady but at a somewhat slower speed. How far I can hop crotch high logs. I tend to sit on more of them to rest for a second as I pass over. A mile of downfall is a bad day.

The other issue is recovery. A really hard day will likely require a day off or a couple of days of flater ground before taking on another beating.

Stock allows me to choose where I spend my reserves. I can ride to where I want to hunt, hunt a pocket out for a couple hours, then return to my horse and ride for a couple of hours to my next hunt.

Strength and endurance are limited commodities and shouldn't be squandered on 4 or five mile trail walk.

JStol5

WKR
My mobility and strength training- and the two are directly correlated. I'm chronically tight and never make enough time for stretching, mobility, and recovery work. It definitely impacts my lifting in a negative way. Can't lift as much or get the ranges of motion I want.

I've made serious efforts to cut back on my heavy lifting until I can get my mobility squared away and lift without Pain. Doing more running, rucking, and hiking in the meantime and bodyweight work.

Yoder

WKR
Biggest is my diet. Second is mobility. I don't drink or smoke at all. I try to work on all the other aspects pretty regularly. I ruck with weight, do cardio for a few hrs a week and also lift weights a few hrs a week. I just started working on stretching and some exercises from Knees over toes guy.

svivian

WKR
Winter is hard with the short days and cardio is bullshit on a treadmill. Spring through fall i can get out after work and hike somewhere which helps alot. I have been playing basketball twice a week but my knee is giving me alot of problems lately.

Zdub02

WKR
Strength for me. I'm making myself incorporate more strength training into my routine right now. I also like to indulge in beer and bourbon so I'd argue that you shouldn't eliminate those delicious beverages @mtwarden

cjdewese

WKR
I am about to turn 40 and my desk job and long commute for the last 12 years haven't helped much. My biggest weakness is without a doubt mobility.

Check these guys out, I find it to be really helpful as my hips and lower back is pretty restricted and some of their videos have really helped.