What’s in your “Kill Kit”?

The Havalon knife is the worst choice for a knife out there. In fact it is not a knife at all, I have been a full time Taxidermist for 43 years, and the worst handled skins that come to my shop are from hunters using a havalon knife. Also they are the same hunters who do not know how to shapen a knife. They do not use a knife day in and day out. This is exactly why the CWD issue has gotten out of hand. Hunters do not even care about proper handling methods for their game. This whole field handling attempt is a shame. Start using the right tools, and go to a qualified meat processor or Taxidermist and learn how to handle a knife and meat in the field.
Can you elaborate on this?

G&R

FNG
Para cord, Buck knife, headlamp,knife sharpener, paper towel

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon with a few extra blades
Space blanket (used as a tarp for quarters if needed)
Tag and pen for signing
Cut resistant glove
A couple of nitrile gloves
Fastener (electrical tape and/or zip tie)
Game bags
Length of cord

I carry a leatherman as my other knife and use it to change the havalon if needed. I keep some stop rot back at the vehicle for the cape.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a small Fallkniven DC3 sharpener- diamond on one side, ceramic the other- small and weighs maybe a little over an ounce

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I don't wear nitrile gloves, and I don't bring hand wipes (usually) because they'll just be frozen hard and unusable anyway.
I pack super light weight surgeons' finger scrub brush. I can't recommend these things enough! I just scrub all the dried blood off my hands, and out from under my fingernails, in a creek or just with snow on the ground. Then I use a dab of hand sanitizer (which doesn't freeze) to make sure my hands are sanitary to eat again.

Pretty sure this thing is lighter than wipes, cheaper, and is re-useable. I hate hauling out trash like dirty gloves and used wipes.

CA201-surgical-brushes-pair-u-03-r.jpg

JGuest

FNG
Knife/Havalon - extra blades with the Havalon
Game Bags/Chest Spreader - I hunt some areas where we don't have to pack out
Parachord
Gerber Hatchet with saw insert in handle
Headlamp
Nitrile Gloves - I wear them to prevent cuts. We cut a lot of meat and normally you feel the knife hit the nitrile as it cuts it open and prevents an open wound on your hand. My gloves are shredded after a cleaning normally but I rarely cut myself.
2 big ziplocks - 1 for trash 1 for organs
My Tags! - All of them for the year
Sharpener
Flint and steel
Basic First Aid Kit
Compass
Orange marking tape
4-5 extra rounds of ammo

I tend to drop my pack when the real pursuit begins and I like to have a little more in my "kill kit" just in case.

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of an old thread here but to add to the consensus, I also keep a pair of my shoulder length preg checking glove. Slide over a pair of nitrile over them, have good dexterity and rarely have a drop of blood on me.

FNG
Havalon and a few extra blades
1 game bag
Parachord.
That’s it. Especially when I have to pack it a long ways.