What’s in your “Kill Kit”?

Kanooper

FNG
Just curious on what you guys include in your “Kill Kit” and what kind of container/bag do you use to contain it? Mine is currently in a gallon ziplock bag and it contains:

Havalon (w/ extra blades)
Paracord
Travel pack of baby wipes
Gerber folding bone saw
Game bags
Couple pair of latex gloves
Zip ties

So what other stuff do you guys include?

ljalberta

WKR
Medium Kifaru ultralight bag
Tyto knife
4 blades
Tag game bags (which ones and how many depend on what I’m hunting)
Latex gloves
50’ of Lawson cordage
Occasionally I’ll take a contractor bag or Kifaru meat bag as well if I want to keep the gear a little less bloody.

A mini sharpie for signing my tag, contractors trash bag, scrap of Tyvek for a tarp, in addition to what you have listed.

I don’t put baby wipes in mine, or a bone saw if going light.

I never bring any kind of cordage. Am I planning for disaster here? Seems to be a common item..

JP100

WKR
Kinife/Knives- usually a full size skinner and small pocket knife and then a havalon somewhere,

2-4 game bags/pillow cases depending on size

Some bits of string/paracord

Usually have a small steel/stone of some sort. have a little Arkansas stone which works alright.

Dont really need much else

FlyGuy

WKR
Typo knife
Extra blades
Small diy leather strop (pre-charged with sharpening powder)
3 pr latex gloves
Zip ties
Reflective cordage from ZPacks (2.3mm I think)
Contractor bag (pack liner)
3 Kifaru boned-out meat bags

All of this goes into a 4th Kifaru bones out meat bag at the bottom of the pack.

I also keep an Izula knife and a sharpie in my bino harness.

You can’t cheat the mountain

kiddogy

WKR
knife , bailing twine. don't bother with gloves ,yer gonna get bloody ,embrace it. might or might not have game bags . really depends on the hunt and how far I am gonna have to pack out.

kiddogy

WKR
Kinife/Knives- usually a full size skinner and small pocket knife and then a havalon somewhere,

2-4 game bags/pillow cases depending on size

Some bits of string/paracord

Usually have a small steel/stone of some sort. have a little Arkansas stone which works alright.

Dont really need much else
heck ,if you pack three knives there is or should be no need for a stone

I never bring any kind of cordage. Am I planning for disaster here? Seems to be a common item..

Most dudes carry cordage to tie off a leg or two to a nearby tree so they can work on the animal without having a leg/quarter flopping over in the way. It also helps if you want to move the animal off a hill or swing it around into a different position. Tie the antlers or leg to a tree and then push the animal downhill using the tree as a pivot point to get the animal in an easier position to work on without risking it sliding all the way downhill into the bottom of a canyon or drainage.

Most dudes carry cordage to tie off a leg or two to a nearby tree so they can work on the animal without having a leg/quarter flopping over in the way. It also helps if you want to move the animal off a hill or swing it around into a different position. Tie the antlers or leg to a tree and then push the animal downhill using the tree as a pivot point to get the animal in an easier position to work on without risking it sliding all the way downhill into the bottom of a canyon or drainage.
exactly. Or lashing final bits and pieces to the pack.

ljalberta

WKR
knife , bailing twine. don't bother with gloves ,yer gonna get bloody ,embrace it. might or might not have game bags . really depends on the hunt and how far I am gonna have to pack out.

Valid point, but for me, gloves for me less about getting blood on my hands and more for keeping the animals blood from getting inside my hands once I inevitably slice my finger at some point. Less than 8 grams for a pair and they usually find their way in my kill kit.

Small microfiber towel
Outdoor edge replaceable blade knife
One or two blades
One fixed blade knife
Ground cloth
Black ovis bags
Sharpie ,zipties, Tags and licenses in small ziplock
Paracord
All items in a lightweight sea to summit dry bag.
For 25 years I carried everything but bags and the ground cloth in a heavyduty ziplok bag.
Honestly it worked pretty dang good.

ericwh

WKR
Morakniv Pro C
Smith's Mini Sharpener
Rubber Gloves
Trash Bag
Game Bags
Bread Bags
Cord

Scrappy

WKR
Ya last year without some 550 cord I would have had a mess on my hands. I also learned 550 cord from wally world will not do the job.114766

MeatBuck

WKR
Knife.
Sharpener.
2 pillow cases.
Ink pen.
Small 2ft nylon strap with buckles so I can hang quarter from tree branch while boning meat off into pillow case. Cleaner than using a tarp/bag that becomes a bloody gutty mess to fold up and pack out.
I always pack a folding saw for trail maintenance or blind making and it doubles as bone saw when I'm quartering. Full bone out I don't use it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member