Kill kit weights and ideas. Lets see yours? Ideas?

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Just seeing what all you other Roksliders are coming in at for weight, or have in your kit. This one is for elk, but not much changes between species. Smaller Havalon looses sleeve and goes in my pocket during season. I add extra blades for both into the larger case. Roughly 2lbs 13oz. I used the caribou bags prior and gonna give the BO ones a try this year.

List includes,
-7 game bags
-large havalon and small one
-fixed blade Esee knife
-work sharp sharpener
-silky pocketboy
-2 trash bags
-50' Paracord with a few carabiners
-4 latex gloves
-Blackovis OCD medium stash bag

Attachments

• 20230430_133322.jpg
    20230430_133322.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 20230430_133629.jpg
    20230430_133629.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 231
Havalon Barracuda with a few extra blades, 5 Pillow cases, 1 pair rubber gloves if I remember or they haven't been used, done!

Edit forgot pen.

Last edited:

Maverick1

WKR
Just seeing what all you other Roksliders are coming in at for weight, or have in your kit. This one is for elk, but not much changes between species. Smaller Havalon looses sleeve and goes in my pocket during season. I add extra blades for both into the larger case. Roughly 2lbs 13oz. I used the caribou bags prior and gonna give the BO ones a try this year.

List includes,
-7 game bags
-large havalon and small one
-fixed blade Esee knife
-work sharp sharpener
-silky pocketboy
-2 trash bags
-50' Paracord with a few carabiners
-4 latex gloves
-Blackovis OCD medium stash bag
What is the saw used for?

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I have also been using the caribou gear bags and love them. My kit closely resembles yours but I stash the items throughout my pack. The one thing I have recently added is a small metal pulley to tie off legs and such since I am usually breaking animals down by myself. I actually take 2 with me now at all times and those have been a life saver!

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I have also been using the caribou gear bags and love them. My kit closely resembles yours but I stash the items throughout my pack. The one thing I have recently added is a small metal pulley to tie off legs and such since I am usually breaking animals down by myself. I actually take 2 with me now at all times and those have been a life saver!
I learned a cool trick with using both your trekking poles and running the leg through the wrist strap to hold the leg up when doing it by yourself. Worked great for me so far. The pulley idea would work awesome as well!

Mine will change a bit depending on species/hunt. 1.5lbs as packed ready for bear. In Kifaru Large Pull out
- 5 Argali deer size game bags
- 1 caribou game bag L for pelt
- Zpack DCF ground sheet/tarp
- 2 sets nitrile gloves
- a few zip ties
- mini sharpie with orange tape for flagging
- lightweight cordage
- Tyto knife with 2 extra blades
23DDBC87-12EC-44F2-A3EB-39497C3F1BB4.jpeg

DeePow

FNG
I learned a cool trick with using both your trekking poles and running the leg through the wrist strap to hold the leg up when doing it by yourself. Worked great for me so far. The pulley idea would work awesome as well!
Genius!

Man that's a great idea. I usually just end up with bloody pants holding legs between my knees. My lower back takes a beating.

OP I just carry 4 XL and 2 L of the Ovis red bags, they're pretty light and I like the reflective strips over just a pillow case. I put a pair of nitrile gloves and two zip ties in a quart ziplock freezer bag and a little havalon piranta in the kit also in case something happens to my primary knife. I use the quart bag for the heart if it'll fit or it can be used to put bloody gloves in to pack out and keep blood out of my pack. I do carry Paracord but not in the kill kit as it has other uses sometimes. My kill kit only comes out for a kill.

Usually a couple of knives, paracord, nitrile gloves, really small steel, and trash bags. I never carry game bags with me all day in my pack. Those stay at the truck or in camp and come with me when it’s time to pack out meat. If I choose to pack meat out when I butcher, then I use the garbage bags to keep the meat clean. I hang the meat from a game pole about 30 feet away from the carcass and gut pile to let it cool and get a dry skin on the outside.

5 game bags, one knife and 550 cord. I have a tarp in my pack that I lay meat on if necessary. I like keeping my pack < 40lbs.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
5 game bags, one knife and 550 cord. I have a tarp in my pack that I lay meat on if necessary. I like keeping my pack < 40lbs.
I leave my tarp in my lid all the time. Definitely a multi use tool and find myself pulling it out more just to glass when it's raining/windy like a bastard, but it does go under my tent, clean meat laydown, and shelter when I'm to lazy to set the tent up.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Mine will change a bit depending on species/hunt. 1.5lbs as packed ready for bear. In Kifaru Large Pull out
- 5 Argali deer size game bags
- 1 caribou game bag L for pelt
- Zpack DCF ground sheet/tarp
- 2 sets nitrile gloves
- a few zip ties
- mini sharpie with orange tape for flagging
- lightweight cordage
- Tyto knife with 2 extra blades
View attachment 548741
I carry a pen and a small handful of zipties as well, but leave them in my med kit for some reason. Nice setup!

Drenalin

WKR
Not for elk, but would work for that if I was boning out. Works well for deer and will hopefully get to use for bear this fall.

Kifaru medium UL pullout…0.8 ounces
Tag BOMB Bags (no stuff sack)…7.7 ounces
Kestrel Mountain Caper…1 ounce
Kestrel Mountain Scalpel…1.2 ounces
Sawzall blade with duct tape handle…0.7 ounces
Lawson Glowire (50-ft)…2.9 ounces
Nitrile gloves + wipes…approx 2 ounces

Right at a pound

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
@Hoytxl2009 @DeePow @ScreamingPotato - Nite ize cam jam of the metal variety (XT version) is your friend. Use it with 550 paracord, perfect match. Use it to hoist quarters up; it is self-arresting, which means no more wrestling with meat, panicking that it will come crashing down to the ground, bear-hugging it, or holding it between your legs. Definitely a useful item.
These seem very interesting and I can think of multiple uses for them as well. Might grab up a couple then just leave them attached to my paracord on my tarp. Thank you!

ElkNut1

WKR
Seriously, I have no specific kill it as it were. I just carry things I've used for years to break down an elk. I have no idea of weight. It ain't much though.

If I'd offer any advice I'd say don't over think it, bring what you need & no more. It's just elk hunting!

ElkNut

Tick

WKR
5 regular TAG bags
2 pair rubber gloves
50ft of cord
Buck lite knife
Tag and pen

1.6 lbs for elk. Haven't had a need to add anything else.

Seriously, I have no specific kill it as it were. I just carry things I've used for years to break down an elk. I have no idea of weight. It ain't much though.

If I'd offer any advice I'd say don't over think it, bring what you need & no more. It's just elk hunting!

ElkNut
The word “kill kit” is foreign to my ears!

WBrim

WKR
I have a small drawstring bag with just some simple basics, all of which are mentioned above. I got a few ideas from here I want to add for future use. I love getting good ideas from guys who have figured some out!