What’s in your “Kill Kit”?

In addition to what has been mentioned, I have a couple short pieces of cotton butchers string. It is to tie off the anus before pulling the rectum up through the pelvis. Keeps the turds off the tenders.

MeatBuck

WKR
Powder. Pour half an ounce-ish into the bottom of the mister bottle, shake, and spray. Spray a test portion on your wrist, and you can taste that it's working.

I honestly would not even do a hunt that requires a packout in temps above 60 without it.
Grew up hunting hot af California and never heard of spraying anything on meat in the field. Was always told to just keep everything clean and "don't gut shoot em."
That said, Ive never had the fortune of a pack out in temps under 70 degrees. Usually in the 80's and 90's or higher. Haven't dealt with any sort of spoilage. I've had a few small spots of mold a time or two after aging 10 days or more but I remove them and wipe the crust down with white vinegar before butchering to keep my cutting surface free from transfer.
Curious as to where this a popular thing, or where it originated. Geographically speaking.
Is this for bear meat or what kind in particular?

In addition to what has been mentioned, I have a couple short pieces of cotton butchers string. It is to tie off the anus before pulling the rectum up through the pelvis. Keeps the turds off the tenders.

ehh, a little seasoning never hurt anybody :pukey:

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

I've been toying around with the citric acid spray, but killed a whitetail last weekend and it didn't seem to deter the yellow jackets much. Maybe it was too diluted or does it just work better for flies?

OXN939

WKR
I've been toying around with the citric acid spray, but killed a whitetail last weekend and it didn't seem to deter the yellow jackets much. Maybe it was too diluted or does it just work better for flies?

There is some deterrent effect for insects, but mostly it's to discourage the growth of microfauna. If you are involved with, say, a backpack hunt that involves a multi-day packout, try treating two of the quarters and leaving two of the quarters without it. You'll be able to visually (and olfactorily) tell the difference. The difference is probably not that apparent in situations where you can get to the final stages of processing quickly, but it's well worth the $5 investment if you're living the "backcountry aging" life.

Pgohil

WKR
I bought citric acid powder and a spray bottle this year to help with the flu and yellow jackets..... Are you guys saying that it won't help? What other options are there when it's hot and the flies and bees won't leave you alone??

PGohil
WV

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I never bring any kind of cordage. Am I planning for disaster here? Seems to be a common item..

Like other guys have said, tying off legs etc. Also, hanging meat bags.

I toss a space blanket in my kit. They’re light and cheap. I use it as a clean surface as I break down an animal. And it could double as an emergency space blanket.

The Havalon knife is the worst choice for a knife out there. In fact it is not a knife at all, I have been a full time Taxidermist for 43 years, and the worst handled skins that come to my shop are from hunters using a havalon knife. Also they are the same hunters who do not know how to shapen a knife. They do not use a knife day in and day out. This is exactly why the CWD issue has gotten out of hand. Hunters do not even care about proper handling methods for their game. This whole field handling attempt is a shame. Start using the right tools, and go to a qualified meat processor or Taxidermist and learn how to handle a knife and meat in the field.

TristanJH

Lil-Rokslider

In the "Kill Kit" (vac-sealed in bottom of bag):
  • 3 quarter bags
  • 1 Tyto 1.1 handle
  • 4 or 5 #60 scalpel blades
  • 2 pairs of gloves (any more, I just use these if I have an open cut, or a gut-shot situation)
  • 2 alcohol pads (also for cuts)
Outside of the Kill Kit:
  • Stone Glacier Load Cell Dry Bag (doubles as misc. clothes storage)
  • 1 fixed blade knife (I try to keep this one sharp)
  • 1 folder (for everyday use)
  • 12-15 feet of paracord
  • 1 space pen cartridge
  • OR Helium Bivy (I'll use this as groundsheet if needed)
  • scent-free wet-wipes

Last edited:

Chugaglug

FNG
gallon ziplock bag with: (after kill fill bag with heart/whatever odd bits I'm keeping)
havalon
buck paklite
cut proof glove (left hand)
nitrile gloves (for wolf/bear)
chunk of flagging tape
chunk of cord
zip ties
electrical tape
two small carabiners (incase I need to rig block and tackle)
petzel e-lite (had battery fails on both light sources last year on an evening kill, never again)
tag in ziplock (use this plus ziptie to contain nutsack in states that require proof of sex remain attached to meat, I hate stinky hairy nuts slapping on my meat :)
vacsealed allen, ovis, or argali game bags (I love my vacsealer for gear)
contractor bag and emergency blanket (multi purpose items)

Chugaglug

FNG
Lol at the fighting in this thread.

Kinda amazed nobody has mentioned a mister bottle and citric acid yet? Always hit all my quarters and prime cuts with a generous spray of citric acid before they go into the game bag, no matter how long I anticipate them staying there. Inhibits microbial growth, and starts the formation of that nice prosciutto-esque crust.
agree! always do take this for extended backcountry trips in early season, doesn't weigh anything

wearing cut resistant gloves is something ive never considered but wouldnt be a bad idea especially if im on the mountain. thanks for the tip

KClark

WKR
The Havalon knife is the worst choice for a knife out there. In fact it is not a knife at all, I have been a full time Taxidermist for 43 years, and the worst handled skins that come to my shop are from hunters using a havalon knife. Also they are the same hunters who do not know how to shapen a knife. They do not use a knife day in and day out. This is exactly why the CWD issue has gotten out of hand. Hunters do not even care about proper handling methods for their game. This whole field handling attempt is a shame. Start using the right tools, and go to a qualified meat processor or Taxidermist and learn how to handle a knife and meat in the field.

I'm amazed at how many hunters don't know how to sharpen a knife or do it poorly. And speaking of not knowing how to sharpen a knife and wrecked hides I bought a used Cutco serrated knife on ebay... wow can I over cut with that thing! The only time I've cut myself in the feild was with it. It's dull now but it took a lot of dirty hide and hair to get there. I can send it back and have it sharpened for $6 so I need to do that but it just seems odd to pay someone to sharpen your knife, kinda like buying shoes with velcro.

Items in my Kill Kit:
Contained in a Kifaru KU medium belt pouch
Buck PakLite caper/Kestrel Skeleton Ovis Hunter (Subtract caper if I'm carrying my EDC Spyderco Delica in pocket)
2 step sharpener
T.A.G. B.O.M.B. bags
Kifaru meat baggie
Contractor bag
Cut proof gloves
Zip ties
Kitchen thermometer
Finger scrub brush
Tags in a ziplock
Husky .7mil plastic drop cloth

Other stuff depending on hunt (animal/location/weather):
Nitrile gloves
Spray bottle w/baggie of citric acid
Oware 5'x8' tarp for shade (keep the meat cool)
Carabiners/Harken pulley for block & tackle
MuleTape for hanging quarters

I do carry some type of cordage, just not in this kit.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious on what you guys include in your “Kill Kit” and what kind of container/bag do you use to contain it? Mine is currently in a gallon ziplock bag and it contains:

Havalon (w/ extra blades)
Paracord
Travel pack of baby wipes
Gerber folding bone saw
Game bags
Couple pair of latex gloves
Zip ties

So what other stuff do you guys include?

I basically use the same exact setup except I have a couple custom knives and carry a small diamond stone with honing oil for re-sharpening if needed. I also carry Scotch 33+ electrical tape and small garbage bags to for the used baby wipes and other waste.

Sometimes during hunts with no snow, I will carry a small lightweight tarp to lay the meat out for cooking when de-boning. Keeps all the dirt and grass of the meat so clean up later on is a lot easier.

Just picked up some new Kuiu game bags to try this season. Read good things about them. Super lightweight too.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's mine - not pictured- a 5x5' of Tyvek (can do double duty as a small tarp or ground cloth) and a Benchmade Altitude

licenses and a small roll of electric tape; Wet One wipes; mini Gerber tool (replacing blades); Tyto knife, two pairs nitrile gloves; 5 Havalon blades (protected by duct tape); 100' of 300# cordage, two 14x34" Tag bags; DC3 sharpener (diamond and ceramic); part of a roll of marking ribbon; all goes in a cuben zipped pouch- total weight 14 oz

bTt2TDZ.jpg

RAPTOR

WKR

If you fish, I wrap about 20 feet of 20lb braided line around the handle of my knife for the same thing. Can be used to sew things or tie things in a pinch as well. Pretty much unbreakable.

If you fish, I wrap about 20 feet of 20lb braided line around the handle of my knife for the same thing. Can be used to sew things or tie things in a pinch as well. Pretty much unbreakable.
My thought is the cotton string will decompose if left in the gut pile.