What’s in your “Kill Kit”?

I just picked up the Ironwill Outfitters knife. Looking forward to testing it out on spring bear or some NZ critters this spring.

Squamch

WKR
A havalon, 2 game bags, 3 ziplocs.

Cordage is in my survival kit, as are a couple contractor bags, and a multitool if I need to change havalon blades. No need for gloves, zip ties, etc in my experience.

Reactions: G&R
In the orange bag that came with my Allen synthetic game bags, I have:
a ball point pen
my Gerber folder w/guthook
a small knife sharpener
Orange reflective paracord (doubles as flagging if I really need it)
a clear plastic trash bag
some black electrical tape to secure the tag on the critter.

NO GLOVES for me MeatBuck. LOL

darpoh

FNG
Kifaru med bag
Havalon
Latex gloves
Paracord
Zip ties
Game bags
Contractor bag

Catchfish

WKR
Instead of carrying a spray bottle I normally take a small disposable water bottle, before the kill it works for an additional water bottle and then I poke some holes in the lid and mix citric acid if needed and use it spray and rub my meat down.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
-Knife,
-Game bags,
-20' of cord, Ive never used it while breaking down an animal, but really important for hanging quarters and bags in the shade, it frequently takes over a day to pack an animal out, depending on how far in I am and how many reinforcements I can call up.
-Flagging, I'm surprised this isn't on more lists, I use the kind that is reflective. Invaluable when blood trailing in thick reprod, especially once it starts to get dark, or if it's raining.

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
4- Black Ovis bags LG
1- Kuiu bag SM
Havalon Piranta
4- Extra Blades
Paracord
3pr- Nitrile Gloves
1- Micro Multi Tool
1- Kevlar glove
2- Zipties

It's a bit heavy at 1.86 pounds but I am fine with that. While helping on two different moose hunts last year I watched two people cut the heck out of their hands, I even offered my cut resistant glove to one of them. The first wasn't too bad, a little first aid and we were back in business. The second was pretty bad and unfortunately, he ran his Havalon through the tendon on his left hand severing it completely and knicking the tendon below. His middle finger literally hung there useless. I treated it with my first aid kit that I had just restocked after the first incident and taped it to another finger. I like the idea of having the kevlar glove.

I'm sure I can lighten the load of the kit but so far I'm happy with what's in there.

Medium Kifaru ultralight bag
Tyto knife
4 blades
Tag game bags (which ones and how many depend on what I’m hunting)
Latex gloves
50’ of Lawson cordage
Occasionally I’ll take a contractor bag or Kifaru meat bag as well if I want to keep the gear a little less bloody.
same but add tags and an extra kestrel ti or orvis hunter and if elk hunting take two carabiners to get quarters up off the ground before start making runs to the truck with loads.

bowhunter307

Lil-Rokslider
I never bring any kind of cordage. Am I planning for disaster here? Seems to be a common item..
You don't keep a bit of Paracord in your pack? Really? Kinda a basic item for going inna woods in my opinion. How do you hang meat in trees or strap to your pack for the hike out? Also just basic survival.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Depending on the animal, the conditions, and how deep I'm going, I'll have some combination of:

5 Caribou game bags
2 knives
Worksharp sharpener (because my knives are cheap)
small saw (love taking the ribs out whole)
p-cord (for hanging quarters)
pen/write-in-the rain paper (for tagging/transferring meat)
sheet of Tyvek (for laying out pieces of meat w/o getting them dirty, putting over hanging meat to keep it from getting rained on, and shelter if things go sideways).
kevlar filet glove (heard too many stories about folks cutting themselves real bad in the middle of nowhere)
nitrile gloves (because I hate getting blood caked on my hands and then having to eat/drink/go to the bathroom/pack all day with dirty hands, esp. if no running water nearby).

Other than the knives, saw and tyvek, this all fits in the little drawstring mesh bag that my Caribou game bags came in.

Probably heavier than others' kits, but butchering an elk on the ground by myself still feels like a big job, and having this stuff is worth the extra weight to me.

Tags and licenses;
Pen;
Plastic bags;
Latex gloves;
Zipties;
Paracord;
Waxed string (for temporary bow string fixes, etc);
Gerber knife with spare blades;
Blade sharpener;
Small light folding knife; and
Game bags.

SpaceMan

FNG
When you guys say sharpener, are you referring to a steel/honing tool or an actual sharpener?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
can't speak to what others carry, but I carry A Fallkniven DC3 sharpener- ceramic on one side, diamond on the other- just a little over an ounce

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious on what you guys include in your “Kill Kit” and what kind of container/bag do you use to contain it? Mine is currently in a gallon ziplock bag and it contains:

Havalon (w/ extra blades)
Paracord
Travel pack of baby wipes
Gerber folding bone saw
Game bags
Couple pair of latex gloves
Zip ties

So what other stuff do you guys include?
Almost identical set up for me +1 ball point pen and a small cheap extra light.

gbflyer

WKR
Heavy duty nitrile gloves
DH Russel #2 belt knife
A couple of old cotton pillow cases

Fallow120

FNG
2 knives
Sharpener
Saw if going for elk+
Electrical tape to attach tag
Paracord
Game bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pansch220

FNG
6 VIAM (6 am) bone out bags
Outdoor edge knife and a couple spare blades
A small saw
VIAM (6 am) ground sheet for meat
Nitrile gloves
50’ of paracord
Pretty straight forward kit, The only other thing I use that I don’t keep in my kill kit is some athletic tape out of my first aid kit to attach a tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk