Kill kit weights and ideas. Lets see yours? Ideas?

Your kit will work. I’d ditch two havalons and only go with one and a fixed blade. You’ll likely not ever need two replaceable blade knives if you’re packing a sharpener for a quality fixed. You’ll only need 5 game bags. 4 for quarters and 1 for tendies, straps, neck etc. ditch the trash bags for a small ultralight tarp. It’ll have more uses and not add weight. Saw always good to carry in your bag. I’ve used mine more than once to cut wood and skull cap bulls. 50 feet of para can go quick if you end up needing it- just a thought. Good luck

Rokie

FNG
Nite Ize cam sounds good.
Gave up using para cord years ago. Now we use Dyneema 700 ld test super braid. Stronger, lighter, stands up to dragging over tree branches when hanging food bags (horse and human) away from bears. Kind of pricey but 50 ft or more probably weighs an ounce.
Would never have thought of the this!

TheHammer

WKR
Argali carbon knife
Argali large game bags
Iron will k2 knife
30ft 550 paracord
Outdoor edge lightweight saw
Pen
2 zipties
a contractor bag
In a mr zoid bag

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
And those that are preparing for every single what if/have never actually used a "kill kit"before/dont go more than 1/2 mile from their pickups.
Me being the "kill kit" poster can guarantee more branch bulls have died at my hand then yours on public land in my short 35 years on this planet. With that fact I will most certainly continue to call it a "kill kit". 😉 Have a great day you miserable human.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Argali carbon knife
Argali large game bags
Iron will k2 knife
30ft 550 paracord
Outdoor edge lightweight saw
Pen
2 zipties
a contractor bag
In a mr zoid bag
How you like those Argali knives. Thought about trying that Carbon out this year, and I believe Brad came out with a replaceable one as well.

Geewhiz

WKR
Me being the "kill kit" poster can guarantee more branch bulls have died at my hand then yours on public land in my short 35 years on this planet.
I wouldn't be so sure about that but you sure are one cocky sob. I'll leave your thread alone.

cnelk

WKR
Me being the "kill kit" poster can guarantee more branch bulls have died at my hand then yours on public land in my short 35 years on this planet. With that fact I will most certainly continue to call it a "kill kit". 😉 Have a great day you miserable human.

Hold my beer

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Your kit will work. I’d ditch two havalons and only go with one and a fixed blade. You’ll likely not ever need two replaceable blade knives if you’re packing a sharpener for a quality fixed. You’ll only need 5 game bags. 4 for quarters and 1 for tendies, straps, neck etc. ditch the trash bags for a small ultralight tarp. It’ll have more uses and not add weight. Saw always good to carry in your bag. I’ve used mine more than once to cut wood and skull cap bulls. 50 feet of para can go quick if you end up needing it- just a thought. Good luck
I did ditch one this year, definitely was to many. Went to different type of lighter cord this year, and cant remember it's name. I'm weird with meat part bags. I always spilt the BS, Neck/Scrap, and tendies into separate bags. Only reason I have the garbage bags keep the pack clean, as most the time I'm nowhere near a good place to clean it other then a car wash when I'm headed to another state. I also agree my tarp is life saver some days. Tried SO this year and definitely like it better then the Sea to summit one I had.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Mine will change a bit depending on species/hunt. 1.5lbs as packed ready for bear. In Kifaru Large Pull out
- 5 Argali deer size game bags
- 1 caribou game bag L for pelt
- Zpack DCF ground sheet/tarp
- 2 sets nitrile gloves
- a few zip ties
- mini sharpie with orange tape for flagging
- lightweight cordage
- Tyto knife with 2 extra blades
View attachment 548741
Didn’t know about zpacks tarps. Definitely looking at these as an option.

TheHammer

WKR
How you like those Argali knives. Thought about trying that Carbon out this year, and I believe Brad came out with a replaceable one as well.
I think it’s a great knife, if not one of the best ones. The profile works well with most processing needs. I think the serac is excellent as well.

I cheat because mine is carried on my horse in the saddle bags. I always carry a dwalt 12" electric saw, a six pulley block and tackle, 100 ft of parachord, an 18" dandy saw, an extra knife, 2 - 25 ft 1/2" hemp ropes. I have added a recip saw if I have to go back in for convenience and comfort. Anyway you look at it I can quarter an elk in less than 2 hours and start my walk out.

Jackk66

FNG
I like the way you're thinking. My "kit" consists of a knife, two elk quarter bags, one small bag for backstrap & tenders, some 700 lb test Dyneema super braid for tying legs etc when butchering on a steep slope. I almost always opt for the complete bone out. I'm too old to carry bones.

Gerbdog

WKR
leather gloves
Solid knife
Disposable blade knife w/ extra blades
Game bags
Paracord
Pen
Small pull through sharpener

probably ditching disposable blade knife w/ extra blades... didnt even use it this year.

Seems like your kit is a bit overkill. I pack 1 havalon with 3 extra blades, 1 pair of gloves, 3 zip ties, half a roll of electric tape, 1 plastic bag, 4 quarter game bags and 1 smaller spare meats bag. I always have a fixed blade belt knife on but not part of my kit. All total I think it weighs a bit over 2 pounds and all goes into a mystery ranch zoid bag. I honestly think it's still a bit heavy but it's about as trim as I can manage. It has worked on elk, deer (mulies and whitetails), caribou, moose, and bear.

WoodDuck

Lil-Rokslider
Elk kill kit:
-6 game bags (4 quarter and 2 loose meat, currently a mix of OvisSacks and TAG bags)
-Havalon piranta and extra blades
-Mini multi tool for changing blades because the havalon system is dangerous to do by hand
-space blanket to use as ground cloth if needed
-Bahco Laplander for 1) sawing off hocks for hauling quarters bone in and 2) trimming a dead log into a meat pole
- 2 1” webbing cinch straps for lashing a meat pole between 2 trees
-tag for current hunt

The meat pole system works really well for hanging quarters and loose meat. Highly recommend!

Attachments

• IMG_2241.jpeg
    IMG_2241.jpeg
    829.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited: