What’s Hot in Factory Rifles?

Jakerex

WKR
I got a buddy looking to buy, not build, a new factory rifle to take west elk hunting. I’m out of the loop with all the lightweight factory options out there. I see a lot of Tikka light / ultralight recs. He’s really liking the 7mm PRC but would consider others. Mainly looking for .284 caliber because a few of us load that caliber and we have a chit ton of bullets and powders that should work just fine. Let me know your thoughts in the less than $1,300 range, or there-abouts. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Lipsey's website (distributor) is a good way to find out what factory rifles are out there chambered in a specific cartridge at the moment:

7mm-08

280 Ackley Improved

7mm PRC

7mm Rem Mag

If you're going ultralight, keep in mind that recoil will be more of a factor earlier on than with heavier rifles, so a 7PRC will have more felt recoil in a 6lb gun than a 10lb gun. What other people may be comfortable with in an average or heavier gun may simply be unpleasant in a lightweight mountain gun. Pretty sure I've listed those cartridges in order of least to most recoil. Keep in mind though that as a general rule, the lighter you want a gun, the more expensive it gets, and the point of diminishing returns kicks in pretty quickly. Whatever you do though, don't get hung up on ballistics - any of these are good for western big game at ethical ranges. Focus on selecting a good big-game bullet, and practicing from field-realistic positions, and you'll be good to go.

As to what gun specifically, not too many people will outshoot a Howa, Savage, or a Ruger American, and those are on the cheap end. Bergara's are known to be excellent shooters for their price point as well. But a Tikka T3X Light in 7mm-08 would be a great gun out here, especially if you want light, accurate, manageable recoil, and a .284 bullet, all for under a $1000.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
The Lipsey's website (distributor) is a good way to find out what factory rifles are out there chambered in a specific cartridge at the moment:

7mm-08

280 Ackley Improved

7mm PRC

7mm Rem Mag

If you're going ultralight, keep in mind that recoil will be more of a factor earlier on than with heavier rifles, so a 7PRC will have more felt recoil in a 6lb gun than a 10lb gun. What other people may be comfortable with in an average or heavier gun may simply be unpleasant in a lightweight mountain gun. Pretty sure I've listed those cartridges in order of least to most recoil. Keep in mind though that as a general rule, the lighter you want a gun, the more expensive it gets, and the point of diminishing returns kicks in pretty quickly. Whatever you do though, don't get hung up on ballistics - any of these are good for western big game at ethical ranges. Focus on selecting a good big-game bullet, and practicing from field-realistic positions, and you'll be good to go.

As to what gun specifically, not too many people will outshoot a Howa, Savage, or a Ruger American, and those are on the cheap end. Bergara's are known to be excellent shooters for their price point as well. But a Tikka T3X Light in 7mm-08 would be a great gun out here, especially if you want light, accurate, manageable recoil, and a .284 bullet, all for under a $1000.

Thanks man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk