25-06 factory options

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
This ask might be nonsense to most - but I’ve had a love affair with the 25-06 caliber since I was young. I’ve always wanted one…and it seems like the factory offerings for this caliber have been slowly disappearing from production (I assume due to the increasing popularity of the 6.5 calibers). That said, I’m recently on the hunt for a 25-06 and am open to suggestions.

I would greatly prefer a factory 25-06 rifle and would like to avoid rebarreling an existing rifle or doing an expensive custom build, if possible. I’d also prefer to get something new or NOS so I run less of a risk of buying someone else’s problem or something with a 2K+ round count.

Admittedly, I’m a fanboy for Tikka, Sako, Barrett Fieldcraft and Seekins rifles. Howa/Wby, Browning, CA, Savage, and Kimber are just kinda meh to me. I like the Winchester Mod 70 rifles I have, but not sure if a new Win Model 70 is worth the gamble on if it’s gonna be a shooter OOTB or not. Also really wanting something with a stainless barrel and action vice something blued.

Are there any stainless 25-06 factory rifle options that I should consider that I’ve overlooked? Or, should I just shut up and be patient for a nice one to hit the classified ads?

Note: I have been watching the forum classifieds and GB like a hawk recently. The “used” rifles on there always give me pause due to my aforementioned thoughts. I’ve seen a few really nice looking older Rem 700 Senderos pop up but have been too hesitant to pull the trigger on one yet.

Thanks for any help!

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Last edited:

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
If it were me ( and I did this probably 12 years ago) I'd look for one with a 24" barrel, minimum. That caliber shines at speed IMO. But there are very few that fit that bill. At the time the options were Winchester and Browning. I went with the Browning X-bolt and it's a shooter.

If you build one get a barrel with a faster twist for these newer bullets coming out. That's my .02.

mmac

WKR
I was in the same place a couple years ago and got a Kimber Montana. It is stainless and very light, shoots great. I know you didn't want a Kimber, but I have found them very good. I think Weatherby Vanguard may be an option as well.

I had a Sako A5 in 25-06 that was a slick little rifle. It had a slim profile stainless barrel and a synthetic stock that kinda had like a silicone grippy feel to it. Wish I still had that gun. I just looked at GB and there is nothing like that on there currently.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said Brownings were meh, but X Bolts are shooters and the Stainless Stalker is what you described. Even has a 24" barrel that serves the 25-06 well.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Sako A5 in 25-06 that was a slick little rifle. It had a slim profile stainless barrel and a synthetic stock that kinda had like a silicone grippy feel to it. Wish I still had that gun. I just looked at GB and there is nothing like that on there currently.
My dad's dream rifle is a Sako A7 Coyote in 25-06 with the tan grippy stock and straight flutes. Been looking for one for ages for him. They are pretty great rifles.

My dad's dream rifle is a Sako A7 Coyote in 25-06 with the tan grippy stock and straight flutes. Been looking for one for ages for him. They are pretty great rifles.
One of my biggest regrets that I passed up on the used gun rack at Cabelas. If I remember correctly it was only like $775 as well.

I don’t think you will find the NOS that you are seeking. Post a WTB or peruse GunBroker/guns.com/GunsInternational and local gun stores.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
One of my biggest regrets that I passed up on the used gun rack at Cabelas. If I remember correctly it was only like $775 as well.

I don’t think you will find the NOS that you are seeking. Post a WTB or peruse GunBroker/guns.com/GunsInternational and local gun stores.
I'd even settle for a used one. If I found one for a good price there wouldn't be a second's hesitation from me. I've been watching GB/GI for a while.

Are the new Model 70s really that much of a gamble? I just want something that’s controlled round feed and has no plastic on it…

mmac

WKR
The Sako would be great to find. I had a Browning A-Bolt stainless in 25-06, worst shooting gun I even had.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the feedback. Still unsure of what to do, but the Browning and Kimber reviews have sent me down that rabbit hole. I’m curious as to how those Ruger Americans tend to shoot OOTB. If they are decent - seem to be a great value.

FLS

WKR
I would not hesitate to do a rebarrel. Pick the platform you like and have it rebarreled and chambered in 25-06. This was a pawn shop beater ADL. New Bartlein barrel, EBay HS stock, and a Trigger Tech special I bought on some type of sale . It’s a hammer with 115 VLDs. I’ve killed deer, antelope, hogs and coyotes with it I’ve got a safe full of rifles, but this one is probably my favorite. I hope to kill an elk with it this fall if I draw a tag. IMG_2810.jpeg