Semi-Custom Tikka or Factory Rifle?

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
I'm interested in getting some opinions from some rifle guys on if I'm over thinking my rifle choice. I'm historically an archery only guy on western hunts. The couple of times per year (if at all) I rifle hunt back east it is with my 270 Win M70. I'm doing a few more western rifle hunts now and want one mountain hunting rifle I can use for primarily elk and mule deer. I'm also a lefty and have only shot a LH rifle since I was probably 10.

My budget is $2500 and my caliber choice is the 7 PRC. I do not obsess over rifles (at least not yet) the way I do over my other hunting gear. I just want a relatively lightweight, durable, and accurate rifle I can rely on. I've recently gone down a rabbit hole looking at semi-custom? Tikka builds for a LH 7 PRC. There are also several really nice factory rifles out or soon coming out in my price range. The downside of factory is it seems there are very few LH options right now and they are usually heavier options. The plus side is if I do have a rifle issue a company should stand behind their factory rifle. Having never spent much time behind a RH rifle, maybe shooting a RH rifle as a lefty wouldn't be a big deal....I'm curious your thoughts. Thanks!

nobody

WKR
Never a bad idea to go with a Tikka based build, IMO. You could easily do a home-build with a shouldered prefit for well within your price range.

Stripped Tikka Left Handed Stainless Long-Action Magnum Action from J&A Outdoors: $785.00
Stainless, Spiral Fluted, Threaded Prefit from Preferred Barrels with Radial Brake: $670.00
Left Handed Tikka Stock, Factory Takeoff from J&A: $100.00
Paying a Gunsmith to Torque the Action to the Barrel: $150.00
Shipping, Transfer Fees, Other Randomness: $200.00
TOTAL: $1,905.00

The upside is you get exactly what you want at the end of the day, and the Tikka's are a great platform to get into for longevity and future-proofing with aftermarket compatibility. It'll be easy to continue to upgrade it over time and make it what you want, and the rifle will be able to easily grow with you as you improve as a shooter. This would be the direction I would go if I was in your shoes. Heck, it's the direction I'm considering heading for my next rifle in general, and I'm right handed! There's just something neat about making something unquestionably "yours," and doing it off the Tikka platform allows you to avoid the pitfalls and issues associated with some of the other custom and factory actions on the market.

Gila

WKR
7 PRC isn’t the best cartridge to go with right now. Last I looked there are only two hunting loads out there. A mono and a 175 gr ELD-X. Both Hornady ammunition. If you are going to handload, 7 PRC is too long of a cartridge to fit in a Tikka action. You would be stuck with with a max bullet weight of something like a 162 or 175 gr ELD-X loaded to COAL of 3.34“. Sort of defeats the performance that a 7 PRC is capable of. If I was looking for a 7 PRC mountain rifle, I would take a look at something like a Seekins Havak. You should be able to find a left-hand in a quality rifle.

EDIT: just found that Federal has 3 offerings In 7 PRC as well.

Last edited:

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Gila, I don’t think the 7 PRC is the best cartridge for what you’re looking for. I would look for a tried and true option with lots of ammo available.

I am a lefty as well and have a Tikka chambered in 7mm rem mag. It’s a great gun.

atmat

WKR
7 PRC isn’t the best cartridge to go with right now. Last I looked there are only two hunting loads out there. A mono and a 175 gr ELD-X. Both Hornady ammunition. If you are going to handload, 7 PRC is too long of a cartridge to fit in a Tikka action. You would be stuck with with a max bullet weight of something like a 162 or 175 gr ELD-X loaded to COAL of 3.34“. Sort of defeats the performance that a 7 PRC is capable of. If I was looking for a 7 PRC mountain rifle, I would take a look at something like a Seekins Havak. You should be able to find a left-hand in a quality rifle.

EDIT: just found that Federal has 3 offerings In 7 PRC as well.
Plenty of people also hunt with the ELD-M, and Tikka magazine supports the 180g ELD-M. Sure, you can load longer if you handload — but it’s enough for factory ammo.

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
while I own a Tikka in 7PRC, and love it because I built it how I wanted, currently it’s limited by factory ammo
If I personally had a 270 win, and wanted a western big game rifle I would choose 300 win or prc, when I elk hunt I use a 300 win and have the 7PRC as a backup

Sled

WKR
If you go semi custom, research your barrel maker before jumping in. Stick with a well known long running option to avoid issues. I think you'd be happy with the seekins if you don't want or need to go custom.

atmat

WKR
while I own a Tikka in 7PRC, and love it because I built it how I wanted, currently it’s limited by factory ammo
If I personally had a 270 win, and wanted a western big game rifle I would choose 300 win or prc, when I elk hunt I use a 300 win and have the 7PRC as a backup
If you could, would you really be loading longer than the 180 ELD-M? Is there a better performing bullet?

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
If you could, would you really be loading longer than the 180 ELD-M? Is there a better performing bullet?
Currently using 180 Berger Hybrid, regardless of what people say the mags are a limiting factor on tikka for 7PRC

Gila

WKR
Limited by what if they fit?
The VLDs, ELDs (low drag - high BC bullets) are very long bullets. They will eat up powder space also. Also you want to park the bullet .015-.030 off the jam point in the lands. Berger makes some crazy accurate bullets. I use the Berger 180 VLD (.284) hunting but need an animal to hunt to test them.

amassi

WKR
By seating depth, every rifle/chamber is different, in my rifle I couldn’t run 10 thousands off the lands, due to its to long for the mag

How did they shoot at mag length?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gila

WKR
The Tikka action is limited to 3.5” while the tikka mags are limited to 3.37”. Very short dimensions for a long action cartridge.

amassi

WKR
The VLDs, ELDs (low drag - high BC bullets) are very long bullets. They will eat up powder space also. Also you want to park the bullet .015-.030 off the jam point in the lands. Berger makes some crazy accurate bullets. I use the Berger 180 VLD (.284) hunting but need an animal to hunt to test them.

Plenty of vld/eld options don’t need to be close to the lands and how much powder space do you think gets eaten up seating a vld 100 thou shorter? A grain? Tenth of a grain??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk