Semi-Custom Tikka or Factory Rifle?

renagde

WKR
Seekins Havak Element in 7mm PRC. I think those can be had for $2500, or you could get the PH2 that is about $600 cheaper and close to a LB heavier. Also, if you plan to reload 7mm PRC in a Tikka, you'll probably want a Red Snake Tactical bottom metal or the equivalent so that you can seat to the lands. That's another $250 or so for the bottom metal and magazine. After awhile, you've replaced everything on it and you're in it for the same price as a custom.

atmat

WKR
The VLDs, ELDs (low drag - high BC bullets) are very long bullets.
The point I’m trying to make is that they still shoot fine seated at mag length, while giving you way more performance and shot distance than you’d ever reasonably need.

Is it technically “limiting”? Sure. But it’s not functionally limiting.

Gila

WKR
Going AICS on a tikka will only give you 3.5” which is the max action length. The BM and two 3rd AICS mags will set you back $500 bones….been there, done that and soon took all of that stuff off and went back to Tikka mags.

Gila

WKR
The point I’m trying to make is that they still shoot fine seated at mag length, while giving you way more performance and shot distance than you’d ever reasonably need.

Is it technically “limiting”? Sure. But it’s not functionally limiting.
Why not just stick to a 7 Rem mag then? Over 50 factory loads to choose from. Just about any mountain country store in America sells that ammo. But then the .270 win is no slouch either. Ammo is everywhere for the .270. The bulls don’t seem to notice the difference, they will go down on the first shot just the same.

atmat

WKR
Why not just stick to a 7 Rem mag then?
Oh, I’m not arguing that he needs a 7prc. I’d choose something smaller and more fun to shoot. I’m arguing that it’s silly to say the Tikka limits 7prc.

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
What's wrong with the 270?
While it may be enough for elk I personally don't feel that it is ideal. Plus, my 270 is a classic stainless model 70 from the first year they came out with a LH model when I was a kid. I'd like to retire it from hunting except maybe 1-2 sentimental whitetail hunts each year.

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I knew I would get plenty of good information and some fresh perspectives on here.

gtriple

WKR
While it may be enough for elk I personally don't feel that it is ideal. Plus, my 270 is a classic stainless model 70 from the first year they came out with a LH model when I was a kid. I'd like to retire it from hunting except maybe 1-2 sentimental whitetail hunts each year.
I feel that. I'm putting together a 7prc to complement my 6.5prc and 300prc because it falls in a really nice sweet spot.

280AI would be another great option.

ehayes

FNG
I'm interested in getting some opinions from some rifle guys on if I'm over thinking my rifle choice. I'm historically an archery only guy on western hunts. The couple of times per year (if at all) I rifle hunt back east it is with my 270 Win M70. I'm doing a few more western rifle hunts now and want one mountain hunting rifle I can use for primarily elk and mule deer. I'm also a lefty and have only shot a LH rifle since I was probably 10.

My budget is $2500 and my caliber choice is the 7 PRC. I do not obsess over rifles (at least not yet) the way I do over my other hunting gear. I just want a relatively lightweight, durable, and accurate rifle I can rely on. I've recently gone down a rabbit hole looking at semi-custom? Tikka builds for a LH 7 PRC. There are also several really nice factory rifles out or soon coming out in my price range. The downside of factory is it seems there are very few LH options right now and they are usually heavier options. The plus side is if I do have a rifle issue a company should stand behind their factory rifle. Having never spent much time behind a RH rifle, maybe shooting a RH rifle as a lefty wouldn't be a big deal....I'm curious your thoughts. Thanks!
I went with a LH Tikka due to the LH factory limitations also. Obviously there were some good LH options out there, but I ended up with the Tikka nevertheless.
I changed out the stock (had it professionally bedded) , new bottom metal, factory trigger to lowest weight setting, added a muzzle brake on the factory barrel. Boxed ammo always shot about 1 MOA. I’m not a great shot.
I ended up with some hand loaded ammo from a reputable company and it is 1/2MOA on a solid bench rest.
Overall, I couldn’t be happier I went with a Tikka. The only thing I question is if I had to change the bottom metal. For my purposes, probably not.

gtriple

WKR
280ai is terribly limited on Tikka mags, I'm sending mine back to Kampfeld to be rechambered in 284 Win because of it..
Due to the OAL? I assumed using factory ammo, but that usually doesn't have the highest BC 7mm bullets. What bullet and OAL are you using?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Due to the OAL? I assumed using factory ammo, but that usually doesn't have the highest BC 7mm bullets. What bullet and OAL are you using?
Yes, I was loading 162 ELD-M and they were seated extremely deep in the case and I was still having issues of flattening polymer tips from recoil, and I was jumping about .120" so it was only going to continually fall off. Learning lesson, should've taken more measurements. For a person that was going to be shooting factory ammo exclusively though it wouldn't be an issue.

gtriple

WKR
Yes, I was loading 162 ELD-M and they were seated extremely deep in the case and I was still having issues of flattening polymer tips from recoil, and I was jumping about .120" so it was only going to continually fall off. Learning lesson, should've taken more measurements. For a person that was going to be shooting factory ammo exclusively though it wouldn't be an issue.
That makes sense.

I’m basically in this same boat. Looking at the same price range, I was pretty on a Seekins Element until I saw the semi-custom Tikka thread and spent a week reading through that. Very tempting, but I don’t know if I want to build a semi-custom tikka that I’ll only shoot 2 weeks out of the year.