7MM-08 Factory Ammo a Deal Breaker?

MThuntr

WKR
I'm not buying it for a youth but curious as to why you feel the 7 08 would not be a good choice here?
I believe he was referencing the 270 not being a youth choice which can easily be argued otherwise also. We all have our basis for opinions so a grain of salt should be had for all forum posts about appropriate cartridges and rifles for kids.

I say the 7mm08 won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Ammo won't be the easiest to find compared to the new cool kid cartridges. Out to 400 yards, most cartridges have very little difference...some go boom harder than others and 7mm08 falls in line somewhere in the middle with a lot of the cartridges mentioned. Basically a non-issue if the rifle fits. You'll have more than enough juice to kill elk out to that distance too. Barrel life is good and would likely last a lifetime and then some for the average shooter.

If you find ammo you like, buy a case or 2 of it and have ammo a plenty for many years for the casual shooter.

For others interested in the 7-08 that reload, you can get 162 ELDM, 160 TMK, and 168 VLD. If you really want to get wacky, you can even jump up to a 180 ELDM. I ran twist rate comparisons for all of these, and all are sufficiently stabilized by the factory 1:9.5 twist barrel. You lose a little BC at low elevation with the 180, but for guys out west, from around 4k and beyond its fully stabilized.

My long term plan for the 7-08 may likely be a 6 CM build, but for now I have hundreds of rounds of .308 brass that are one FL resize away from being loaded for the new gun.

I experimented with the 162 eldx and lost too much velocity to make the switch from 150 eldx worth it.

P

It had been a challenge finding ammo up until about 4-6 months ago. It seems to have improved dramatically. Yes, there are a zillion flavors of 6.5CM available but I still like being able to throw a 140 AB at 2800.

According to the Hornady app, you should be able to achieve (at least) 2,800 with the 150 and 162, assuming 24" barrel and 50ish grain max load of Superformance.

22.4” barrel since we shoot Tikkas.

And “should” when you’re looking at ballistic tables is along the lines of Santa Claus.

Plus, with bullets that long, how are you going to cram 50 grains of powder in the case?

P

22.4” barrel since we shoot Tikkas.

And “should” when you’re looking at ballistic tables is along the lines of Santa Claus.

Plus, with bullets that long, how are you going to cram 50 grains of powder in the case?

P
LOL, sounds good and fair enough.

I will find out more when I have the rifle and some bullets in hand to start messing with it.

The Hornday app gives 2.800" COL for the 150 ELDX. Are you running yours just off the lands, and if so, how long are you able to run in the Tikka chamber?

For the 162 ELDX and ELDM, it's showing 2.755" COL.

For the 180 ELDM it shows 2.835" COL.

LOL, sounds good and fair enough.

I will find out more when I have the rifle and some bullets in hand to start messing with it.

The Hornday app gives 2.800" COL for the 150 ELDX. Are you running yours just off the lands, and if so, how long are you able to run in the Tikka chamber?

For the 162 ELDX and ELDM, it's showing 2.755" COL.

For the 180 ELDM it shows 2.835" COL.

I swapped out the short action bolt stop for a long action bolt stop, so I‘m not constrained by the short action magazine. I’m loading long in my -08 and really long for my brother’s rifle. I’m not touching the lands but his might be. I’ll check my notes for OAL because I measure off the ogive.

With a max charge of BG I’m getting 2790 fps at the muzzle. His rifle is suppressed and his velocity is higher.

So if I read your post correctly, Hornady is showing a shorter OAL for a longer bullet, the 162? How does that work and still get anywhere near the velocity they claim?

P

So if I read your post correctly, Hornady is showing a shorter OAL for a longer bullet, the 162? How does that work and still get anywhere near the velocity they claim?
I thought the same thing and checked it a few times before posting. Here are a few screenshots from the app.

Attachments

• IMG_5553.png
    IMG_5553.png
    234.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5552.png
    IMG_5552.png
    262.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5551.png
    IMG_5551.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5554.png
    IMG_5554.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 14

Towhee

FNG
I see 7-08 recommended more than I used to. We'll see if it translates to shelf space... but real bad in my area, like 2-4 options in any store. And we're a state that would see a greater use of 7-08. Now they buy 6.5CM > 7-08.

I don't see it getting better tbh.

I went with the 6.5CM myself instead and love it. No regrets.

The folks at Hornady are smoking the good stuff.

P
What really doesn’t make sense to me is how 39 grains of Varget is a max load for the 160s in 7-08, but you can cram 44-45 in for max in .308 with 160s.

I’m going to use Varget as my first test load and see when I see pressure signs.

What really doesn’t make sense to me is how 39 grains of Varget is a max load for the 160s in 7-08, but you can cram 44-45 in for max in .308 with 160s.

I’m going to use Varget as my first test load and see when I see pressure signs.

Look at Big Game or Hunter for the heavies. You’ll most likely get better velocity than with Varget.

P

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at buying a Sauer 100 7MM-08. I'm not seeing a ton of factory ammo options out there although there are some. I don't and won't load my own. Do people feel the ammo avaiability with this caliber might be a long term concern? I really want this caliber but if finding ammo is going to be a struggle I will likely just go with a 308. The rifle will primarily be used for deer and antelope at 400 yards max (mostly much closer). I considered the 6.5CM as well but am concerned about the barrel life. Thank You!
Long-term and availability are two separate things here. Long-term the 7-08 isnt going away its got a strong following even if not the most popular. Availability is always going to be an issue with factory ammo in less popular calibers and should be considered when buying a new rifle. If you buy the 7-08 you should stock up before the next ammo crunch.
Your not gonna burn out any barrel hunting deer and antelope.

Marshfly

WKR
I'm not buying it for a youth but curious as to why you feel the 7 08 would not be a good choice here?
It's absolutely an Ok choice. But the easy ammo availability combined with less recoil for better shots and the fact that the Creedmoor and PRC designs are inherently more accurate than any legacy cartridge make choosing a Creedmoor or PRC over the equivalent legacy cartridge a no brainer.

TxLite

WKR

160gr 7mm is longer than 160gr 308. At the same COAL the 7mm 160 is taking up more case capacity. Though, 5 grains does seem excessive