Best calibers for western hunting old and new using factory ammo

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I was just pondering. If you could choose only one e caliber for western hunting that would cover deer, antelope, elk, and black bear, which would you choose and why.

Of the old school standards, my number one pick would most likely be the 7mm Rem Mag. It has a good range of bullet weights available in factory ammo, and shoots fast and flat. The recoil is stout, but not terrible in most of the rifles I've shot. I think a close second with less recoil would be the 270 Winchester. Decades after it was introduced it still launches a 130 grain projectile at about 3,100 fps.

Of the newer breed of cartridges, I would say 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western, or 7mm PRC would be good choices. For less recoil the 6.5 CM, though not my personal favorite, would be up there. I think the 6.5 PRC offers good improvements over the CM with not too much more recoil.

I really like the concept of the 6.8 Western, but rifles and ammo availability are still pretty sketchy.

B23

WKR
Hmmm, I suppose under the parameters described above I'd probably go 300 Win mag. Not that I'm a huge 300 win fan but I am a big fan of 30 cals for a one gun do all and since 300 WSM ammo isn't nearly as available on a regular basis as 300 win mag is that's why I'd pick the 300 Winnie over it. But, a good 270 or 30-06 would do the job well also.

Gila

WKR
Can’t go wrong with the old venerable .270 win or if recoil doesn’t bother you the 7 rem mag. There are 100s of factory loads for those calibers. Handloading components are also easy to find. 6.8 West is very interesting and for a mountain rifle, I would definitely take a good look. Factory ammo and rifle selection is moving along quickly. 7 PRC wouldn’t be on my list simply because factory loads are extremely limited and so are reloading components. Also the 7 PRC doesn’t really offer anything the other cartridges don’t.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
I was just pondering. If you could choose only one e caliber for western hunting that would cover deer, antelope, elk, and black bear, which would you choose and why.

Of the old school standards, my number one pick would most likely be the 7mm Rem Mag. It has a good range of bullet weights available in factory ammo, and shoots fast and flat. The recoil is stout, but not terrible in most of the rifles I've shot. I think a close second with less recoil would be the 270 Winchester. Decades after it was introduced it still launches a 130 grain projectile at about 3,100 fps.

Of the newer breed of cartridges, I would say 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western, or 7mm PRC would be good choices. For less recoil the 6.5 CM, though not my personal favorite, would be up there. I think the 6.5 PRC offers good improvements over the CM with not too much more recoil.

I really like the concept of the 6.8 Western, but rifles and ammo availability are still pretty sketchy.
What would be your max distance for each of these animals?

hiker270

WKR
If your looking for a caliber with a good selection of available factory ammo the 7mm mag. would be my choice, for a newer caliber the 6.5 PRC would be a good one but until more choices are available I would reload this one.

Choupique

WKR
I'm a .338 win mag fan. If you are like me, recoil doesn't matter at all. Basically zero % chance of shooting anything, so having the biggest gun at camp is the most important thing. Having a bigger hole in the barrel also makes most .338 win mag rifles a little lighter than the .30 cal models for a given caliber. Downside I guess is the ammo is heavier. Just bring less, you aren't going to need it anyway.

OP
C

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
What would be your max distance for each of these animals?
I doubt I would take a shot past 300 or so on an animal with any of them. I know some of the rifles can do it, but animals move...

OP
C

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a .338 win mag fan. If you are like me, recoil doesn't matter at all. Basically zero % chance of shooting anything, so having the biggest gun at camp is the most important thing. Having a bigger hole in the barrel also makes most .338 win mag rifles a little lighter than the .30 cal models for a given caliber. Downside I guess is the ammo is heavier. Just bring less, you aren't going to need it anyway.
There's a big ole pile of whitetails that would dispute that if they could... but I've never seen a whitetail ghost as of yet anyway.

gerry35

WKR
Old rounds - 270 Win, 30-06 and 7mm RM. I'll pick the 7mm RM
New rounds - 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC and 6.8 Western. I'll pick the 6.8 Western.

Both my picks would be great all around and have reasonable recoil.