What was you American vehicle experience that made you buy a Japanese vehicle?

Bizarre first posts on a western hunting forum
Just curious because a lot of people on here are rough on vehicles going on trails and into the mountains and woods. The last thing I would ever want is a breakdown in areas like that.

Haven’t done it yet but I got rid of my Ford eco boost and going to buy a 2018-2021 Toyota tundra.

My experience with multiple Fords at this point has been the manifolds cracking and breaking the bolts inside the head (most times it’s been under 80k miles), the 4 wheel drive systems going out, timing chain issues, and electronics. This has been my consistent experience with a 2004, 2010, and recently a
2013. The 2013 was the only eco boost I had and I had the most issue with it. All had the issues under 100k miles. The 2013 turbos we’re about to go by the time I got rid of it.

Owned Jeep, multiple Fords, and Chevy in the past. All of them required pretty regular maintenance above and beyond oil changes. Bought a Toyota in 2005 and put 100,000+ on it and did nothing but put gas in it and change the oil occasionally. We outgrew that vehicle as a family, but it sold me on Toyotas and I have owned 3 more since, all of which have been fantastic.

Everyone has their own preferences and unique experiences, but for me, I've got a good thing going with my Toyota experience and won't be changing anytime as long as my positive experiences continue.

I've been pretty lucky with all my vehicles. Most of them being American of some sort. We have a 2023 4Runner now and really like it. 4,000 miles is all so far. In a few years I might ditch my f150 for a Tacoma. Hopfully a low mile 2023 or if the new generation is awesome I would give one a try.

Had a Chevy Silverado, one of the Obama years push for the increase MPGs for trucks. The timing ended up pitting the cam shaft and had to get a new engine at 50k miles, thankfully covered by warranty. Then the electrical would go out when cold, couldn't activate the 4 wheel drive, no power braking, etc. Sunk a lot of money trying to find the cause. Got rid of it for a Toyota, never looked back.

My experience, Since 2001 I owed three Ford trucks and two had major problems. Six visits to Ford dealer to fix or replace transfer case. No four wheel drive even though light said it was in four wheel drive. Stuck multiple times. Ford diesel 6.0 lots of problems with doors etc. but broke down in Kansas under warranty. Had to leave it for four weeks for repair. Drove back about 12 hours they said all was good. Drove 11 miles and it blew rod out side of the motor. Left it six weeks and given extension warranty. Dealer said the repair bill was 36K. Sold it before extension warranty ran out and sold it to a buddy (cheap) who knew all the issues. He had additional issues and problems, but he kept it. 2001 for a while One Ford was good enough. Since then I have purchased three Toyota’s and not one problem or issue between them all.

Also had someone at Ford dealership in Colorado break into camper and storage draws using keys on my key ring. They took first aid kit and small items. Dealership said they would have manager call. No calls yet , but it’s been several years now.

Just bought a 4 Runner after traveling across country in a brand new Ford Expedition.
The Expedition got 2 more miles per gallon, has a lot more space and a number of features the 4 Runner lacks. If it wasn’t riddled with problems the Expedition should have been a no brainer.

It tries to remember each driver and automatically adjusts the seat and steering wheel - in a week it adjusted me to no less than 4 positions, one of which ran the steering wheel as far in and up as it would go.

The self driving mode is not reliable and requires two hands on the wheel with consistent unnaturally firm pressure or it shuts off. If a car in front of you one lane over gets a tire just one inch over the line all hell breaks loose and it will self brake thinking you are about to die.

Sometimes in the one short week, power windows or doors didn’t work correctly.

The radio and navigation system was glitchy in minor ways - but enough so I turned off the vehicle gps and used a phone.

The 4 Runner is smaller than I prefer, but this is the last year before it’s redesigned - it’s remained essentially unchanged since the last redesign and is probably the most old school vehicle available. The motor isn’t quiet, but Toyota mechanics consider it one of the most reliable engines. It doesn’t get great gas mileage, but it also doesn’t have untested turbos and transmissions.

I heard of a new ford pickup going in to have the air conditioning checked because it wasn’t putting out a lot of cold. $1,700 to tell them everything is ok - it was under warrantee, but that gives you an idea of costs when the warrantee runs out.

All dealer service departments have turned into crooks - Toyota included. Before a cross country drive our daughter in law had Toyota inspect her Rav 4 - they suggested a wheel bearing, new brakes and something else stupid bringing the total to $3,500. I requested the brake pad measurement and the pad were only half way to the factory specs for replacement and the wheel bearing roughness observed on this 40k mile car was referred to as “subjective”. Crooks, managed by crooks, who answer to the crooks that own the place, who get cars from crooks that condone these practices.

Haven’t done it yet but I got rid of my Ford eco boost and going to buy a 2018-2021 Toyota tundra.

My experience with multiple Fords at this point has been the manifolds cracking and breaking the bolts inside the head (most times it’s been under 80k miles), the 4 wheel drive systems going out, timing chain issues, and electronics. This has been my consistent experience with a 2004, 2010, and recently a
2013. The 2013 was the only eco boost I had and I had the most issue with it. All had the issues under 100k miles. The 2013 turbos we’re about to go by the time I got rid of it.
My 21 tundra blew thru this, once I figured out to turn off traction control. No issues with it, and I sold a 3/4 t GMC to get in it. The gmc was falling apart.

IMG_7253.jpeg

1996 T100 180,000 miles no major repairs
1997 T100 175,000 miles no major repairs
1998 4runner 175,000 miles no major repairs
1998 Camry 100,000 miles no major repairs
2003 4runner v8 220,000 miles no major repairs
2006 Acura Legend 225,000 miles no major repairs
2008 Tundra 5.7 liter. Developed an odd electrical issue that would make it not start for a few hours. Then suddenly it would start and you could go on your way. 155,000 miles with that issue.
2015 Tundra 5.7 liter. 150,000 no major repairs
2008 Tacoma 140,000 no major repairs
2018 4runner 100,000 no major repairs
2022 4runner 30,000 no repairs

All that said, I bought a Ford F250 7.3 liter last year as I wasn't a fan of the new Tundra. So far the Ford has been good for first 16,000 miles. Hoping it'll do 200,000 miles for me.

2008 Tacoma 75k no issues sold for more than I paid
2010 matrix 80k no issues
2011 Tacoma 65k no issues lease trade in for more than buy out
2013 Highlander 70k no issues lease trade in for more than buyout
2014 tundra 68k no issues lease trade in for more than buyout
2016 Highlander 80k no issues lease trade for more than buyout
2017 tundra 65k with bo issues lease traded for a song in 2020 and bought my current 2020 tundra which is at 66k and has a cracked windshield
2018 Land Cruiser put 46k on with no issues and now wife has a 2020 Land Cruiser with zero issues at 28k

Knock on wood but all those vehicles (10 in total and I may be forgetting one) but only had flat tires and regular oil/lube. No check engine lights or electrical failures.

It didn't require me owning an American car to want a Japanese made one but I have owned Land Cruisers for 27 years now. As mentioned in other thread.....Family has five now with five over 260k miles, four with over 315k miles, two over 400k miles and one at 503k miles.

I just talked with a guy about buying his 1999 100 series with 213K miles for $7000. I am very sure it will last longer than any brand new American car and cost much less to do so, go anywhere and in comfort. Can't beat them anywhere on the planet.

1997 Chevy S-10 ZR2. I could easily tell the designers had a lot of great ideas but many poorly implemented ones. It always needed something repaired. Finally when the transmission went out, I put it up for sale as such. Took a few thousand dollars and never looked back. Since then, I've only bought reconstructed title vehicles, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, and they've all been great.

Back