What’s always in your truck/vehicle?

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Simple question. What items live in your vehicle at all times? How do you keep them organized?

I can trash a truck like nobodys business, but I like my current one and I’m trying to not junk it up. My goal is to get all my stuff into to one standard-sized daypack (except my jack—I hate oem jacks and prefer a combined bottle + jack stand). That’d keep me honest and I’d also be able to transfer it to work rentals or my wife’s car. My driving is a mix of town, farm, and forest service roads plus your standard interstate miles.

Curious what works for you.

Jmort1754

WKR
Pistol
Flash light x2
Crocodile wipes

Tow strap

Milwaukee impact and air pump
Tire plug kit
Duct tape
Wool blanket
Jacket

Go bag for the baby

Portable jump pack
16 ft jumper cables

Wheels

WKR
Milwaukee air pump, wet wipes, first aid kit, flashlight, snacks, duct tape, jumper cables, tow strap, tire plug kit.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The stuff that should be in any vehicle that travels the backroads isn’t going to fit into a backpack.

Shovel- long handled spade outside of winter, snow shovel in winter
Jump cables
Battery jumper
Air compressor
Toe rope
Large come along
Chains (winter)
Hi Lift jack
Large hand saw ( big Silky)
small axe/wedge
Hand tools

Then stuff like a good first aid kit, fire starters, lights, extra clothing, food, water, etc

I keep a mid sized pack in my truck that I could put clothing/food/water/first aid/etc in, in the event I had to go afoot.

I’ve used every item on that list over the course of 40 years- wish it all fit in a small backpack, but it doesn’t. Surprisingly though a lot of it fits under and behind the front and rear seats of my Tacoma.

Pistol plus extra mag and box of ammo, flash light, leather gloves, jumper cables, tow strap, first aid kit, tp, half dozen random coozies and pens, umbrella, reusable grocery bag

TaperPin

WKR
The small lockable greenlee box is perfect to bolt down in the bed and have enough room for jumper cables, tires chains, basic wrenches, screwdriver, hammer, misc pliers, hacksaw, multimeter, fuses, extra section of heater hose, basic code reader, tow strap, shackles, bottle jack, electrical tape, duct tape, flashlights, wire, ratchet straps, tire plugs. I should get a jump pack and air pump.

In the truck I like the soft tool bags with handles that will stack behind the seat and not make noise. First aid kit, munchies, jacket, gloves, latex gloves, spotting scope with window mount, binoculars, fly rod and compact fly box.

In the 4Runner I have an old ratty looking box covered in a drop cloth to hopefully cut down on smash and grab crackheads. I really want to bolt down a small greenlee box.

Wrench

WKR
Plugs and compressor. Bottle jack and enough blocks to get a flat high enough to get on the jack with a 2x6 under it. Spare oil and tampons. If you don't need oil....you may need fire and an oil soaked tampon is a real good start. Jumper box and a spare key.

Choupique

WKR
My ass. I drive too much.

Otherwise- flashlight, tow strap, tire pump, gallon of oil, OBD Bluetooth adapter, spare belt, spare fuel filter

PNWGATOR

WKR
Self defense. Offensive needs. Self care. Self recovery. Stuff to care for others.

Clean.

Simple.

Nothing complicated. Just a Tuesday drive to wherever.

offhand these are what I can think of:
Tp x 2
First aid kit small sized
spare lug nuts
Tire patch/plug kit
Log chain
Ratchet straps
Ketch-all for trapping or catching wild animals.
Leather gloves
Small ratchet set
bungee cords
Ratchet straps small and a large yellow one.
breaker bar & sockets for truck and trailer.
Mustard packets and napkins
An assortment of pain and allergy pills

Beendare

WKR
I have a bunch of tools and such for work Inc jumper cables. Funny; The cables are never for me but helping other folks and jumping equipment( tractors and such)

The top few items I use are probably; rechargeable headlamp, multitool, Rolaids, wipes

jpmulk

WKR
TP, knife, shovel, snow shovel, ax, saw, first aid, chains in winter, jumper cables, obviously a jack, ratchet straps, tow strap

CorbLand

WKR
I am not very good about making sure I have the things I need but I have plugs, air compressor and a jump pack in each of my vehicles. I have a rubbermaid that has my sockets, impact gun and a few other things that I move to the vehicle we are taking if its a longer trip.