Legitimate benefits to lifting a vehicle?

Stalker69

WKR
Mainly why, It boosts our ego's. We are guys, bigger, faster, more expensive, better looking etc, it's all in our DNA. That is truly the number one reason, and why 99.9 % of us do it. Why else would you spend several thousands of dollars to gain 3-4 inches of ground clearance. ( most used excuse). Seriously.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
If you are high-centering or hitting rocks with your undercarriage in your adventures, whatever they may be, then you could consider a lift. Remember, lifting the body doesn't do anything for suspension clearance. One objective of lifting the body is to provide more clearance for bigger tires, which does add more clearance for the suspension.

I've "built" several Jeeps and have lifted a couple of full size pickups. I currently have a '21 GMC Sierra AT4 that I hit the oil pan and t-case skid plates on several times, hit my rocker guards (high-center on water bars) and also hit the cross member of my exhaust....so, for me, that meant pick her up a little and shove some bigger tires underneath. If you go up by 3" or more, I would also recommend going with wider wheels w/o spacers and proper backspacing to reduce increased rollover potential. You may lose some highway/high speed handling characteristics.

My $.02. Also, there are a lot of upgrade options for 'Yota's in the aftermarket. More than for most brands.

Fatcamp

WKR
My lift was installed by Toytech. Not sure how many miles the first guy put on it but I've done 30k and only replaced a set of rear shocks. Just about to put a new set of Coopers on as well, so got 30k off the first set. And I DEFINITELY run bigger tires than a stock vehicle ever could.

Done correctly lifts aren't the money pit some think.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Carli 3" kit on my 2007 Dodge. I wish it sat a couple inches lower, but I don't think it could get the same ride quality and capacity without the extra height. Honestly, I've considered reducing the capacity a little bit to keep the softer ride and lower the truck, but I don't really want to sign up for that effort right now.

GotDraw?

WKR
More room for bigger tires to get better approach/departure angles and improved ground clearance. If you don't have ground clearance issues, no point in lifting your truck.

I've been denying the need to lift my truck for the last year, but the time is coming. Too many washed out and rocky roads that I'd like to get down without destroying my vehicle.
Agree- better Approach/Departure angles.

Consider getting differential armor. Get breathers for Diffs and Transfer Case so you don't take in water during creek crossings.

Get an antitheft screen for your catalytic converter since you'll make it so easy to access...

JL

MattB

WKR
It was exactly the question.
I understand reading is hard. Do you see the difference in these two questions?

My question though, is there really any legitimate reason to lift a truck or vehicle?

My question though, is there really any legitimate reason to lift a truck or vehicle for me?

Last edited:
If you describe your lifted truck as a rig, then you’ve made it into the Modern Era of western hunters.

They all run 10 miles a day, workout for another hour in a gym, take supplements, and “train” so they can give their lifted rig into their hunting areas. Athletes no doubt.

Extrapale

WKR
Not sure a lift is required, but bigger tires make a big difference in some scenarios.

I don't have any Toyota experience, but a lift does not equal bigger tires on a Ram 2500. All of the newer ones can fit 37s stock. The lift does increase your approach and departure angles though. As well as increasing wheel travel and flex if you get the right one.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk