Legitimate benefits to lifting a vehicle?

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve got a ‘21 4Runner Venture model, one step down from the TRD Pro I believe. It’s got the rear diff locker, good skid plates, nice leather. Right now it’s got 50k miles and I plan to drive it for as long as it’ll provide reliable and trouble free operation.
I keep getting the bug to lift it whenever I see another lifted 4Runner or Tacoma running around town, they just look cool
My question though, is there really any legitimate reason to lift a truck or vehicle? I don’t purposefully go “4 wheeling” and while I’ve been in some hairy situations hunting and fishing, I’ve never thought “ damn, if only I had a 3” lift, I would go down that road”.
Aside from looking cool, and a little better ground clearance over stock, are there legitimate reasons to lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Are you lifting your existing minimum clearance? If your oil pan and axle are ending up at the same height as now then seems all you are doing is reducing your aerodynamic coefficient. You can screw that up by duct taping some two by sizes to your front bumper and burn some more $5 a gallon gas without spending as much to modify the vehicle. Plus, you are no more likely to rollover on a tight curve. You are welcome.

Aside from looking cool, and a little better ground clearance over stock, are there legitimate reasons to lift?

More room for bigger tires to get better approach/departure angles and improved ground clearance. If you don't have ground clearance issues, no point in lifting your truck.

I've been denying the need to lift my truck for the last year, but the time is coming. Too many washed out and rocky roads that I'd like to get down without destroying my vehicle.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Nope.

be able to run a bigger tire, and clear chains a lil easier. Thats about it
Clear chains vertically, but if you're driving a 4runner or an FJ, you might still make contact with brake lines. I only run front chains on my FJ when I'm stuck to the point of camping out and waiting for help.

willtim

WKR
Bigger tires, which increases clearance. Be prepared for a gearing change.

madcalfe

WKR
IMG_6849.png
All joking aside I’ve driven a lifted truck since highschool, 1980 chev square body on 37’s
2001 dodge Cummins 6 speed standard with 10” lift on 40’s, 2012 duramax with 8” lift on 37’s and now currently a 2019 duramax with 9” lift on 37’s. My wife has a stock Tacoma and I feel weird driving it😂 the only benefits you get is higher clearance providing you put larger tires on. you’ll have more bumper clearance and differential clearance. Oh and cool factor😅 Downside is you’ll have more maintenance on front end parts. I go through upper ball joint and cv axels yearly on my new duramax.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I do a lot of pretty gnarly off road trails. The sway bar can disconnect on my jeep which allows for tons of suspension travel. Without the lift, better suspension components, and 35” tires, I wouldn’t be able to make it on some of the trail runs we do without significant body damage.

There’s also some hunting spots in AZ canyon country that would otherwise be inaccessible unless you wanted to hike 30-40 miles.

Havoc

FNG
I go under more shit than I go over. Aside from tires, chains and better looking, probably not a lot.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This is a waterfall decent that is over 40 feet drop ( and then climb back out on the way back) in a very short span. It’s in a canyon that leads to some incredible hunting spots. Main dirt road ends about 25 miles from the hunting spot. Stock height off road vehicles and most ATVs can’t make the trail. A stock height, brand new bronco tried it on our last jeep run, it’s was crunch crunch time 👎🏻

Anytime I go to this particular spot it’s rare if I don’t glass all of the following in the same day…

Mule Deer
Coues Deer
Javelina
Desert Big Horn Sheep
Mountain Lion

IMG_3451.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

SloppyJ

WKR
It clears bigger tires which gives you a tiny amount of ground clearance boost. On top of that it can keep your rocker panels off of obstacles if you have to go over them. If you do it right, you get much better suspension but the trend is to add spacers and make it ride like shit.

Personally, I have a hard time driving a stock truck. I lifted my chevy about 6mo after buying it to clear 35s. Did all of the work myself as I've done on my last 3 trucks. New control arms, new suspension, new tires. Stock wheels and a 3/8" spacer to clear the tires. Gives a clean look that is how it should have came from the factory.

I live in the Ozarks and some of our trails get rutted and rocky at the same time. It certainly helps. I can't echo the "I go under more than I go over". That's never been a thing here. And I also don't get into the lifted trucks with more lift in the front. That's for flat bill kids.

Marshfly

WKR
A significant suspension upgrade along with properly sized and inflated tires can make a huge different in rough road drive ability, comfort, and safety. Larger tires and more suspension travel often require a higher sitting height or “lift.”

Stock suspension on trucks just suck. They just do. The compromise way they are designed assures that. The aftermarket can give you a suspension setup exactly for the way you use the truck and thus a much better experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
Stock wheels and a 3/8" spacer to clear the tires. Gives a clean look that is how it should have came from the factory.

no wheel spacers are not the answer. wheel spacers are the worst cheap thing you can do to get clearance for your spindles. just get proper backspaced rims.
that's like drilling out hockey pucks and using them for a body lift

no wheel spacers are not the answer. wheel spacers are the worst cheap thing you can do to get clearance for your spindles. just get proper backspaced rims.
that's like drilling out hockey pucks and using them for a body lift
It's a Toyota thing.
Anything for looks.
Preloaded shocks for lift is another.
Tell me you're just desperate for a look and know nothing about suspension.
No one has mentioned higher cg, especially for towing.

depends on the lift. Bigger tire, chain clearance and most importantly possibility of more suspension travel.

More suspension travel is my biggest reason.