NU Car rentals

TreeDux

FNG
There’s no shortage of threads on rental vehicles that we use on our various outdoor journeys, in fact I started one myself a while back. That being said, we recently encountered yet another rental car hurdle that I thought worth mentioning to fellow RSers. We made all of our arrangements through Priceline, including the vehicle, a standard SUV. The car company is called NU and they had what we wanted in terms of vehicle and price We glanced at fine print but didn’t read it all, of course . When we arrived in Denver and went to pick this vehicle up, the guy casually asked what our travel plans were. We told him Wyoming and Montana. He said Yep, Wyoming is “allowed”but you can’t take our vehicle to Montana. He went on to inform us that if their GPS pinged in Montana, they would be reporting the vehicle as stolen. Half our trip was in Montana so that didn’t work for us. We had to scramble like crazy to get another vehicle and get on the road but we did that and had an awesome trip. Beware of state specific restrictions with NU.

Weldor

WKR
I looked into a rental from Tucson to Texas, samething. Not a big fan of being tracked by GPS from unknown 3rd party. Just my paranoia

Ucsdryder

WKR
I looked into a rental from Tucson to Texas, samething. Not a big fan of being tracked by GPS from unknown 3rd party. Just my paranoia
That was my thought. Having the car rental company track me? No thanks.

That’s why I use the BIG names (Avis budget Alamo dollar hertz and last but not least Enterprise).

My in laws like to use the “other names” and Turo types - and there’s always drama. Sometimes they save up front and other times not. One time stranded and Turo (other persons personal Vic) cannot be swapped out like a Big name company.

I’m all about saving money and looking for a deal, but I’ve been in the middle of “good deals with off brand” car rental places that I just stick to the mainstays.

Good to know tho and thx for sharing that insight !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TreeDux

TreeDux

FNG
Yes, Texas was the other state they specifically mentioned as a no go. I was aware of the gps capabilities but when the guy at the counter said they would report the vehicle as stolen based on the gps It took things to a different level.

Sapcut

WKR
Enterprise is the the best. Huge company and family owned. My son is manager at Enterprise in Alabama and I hear lots of good things from him about the guts of the company. I recently rented a truck in Denver this year for my solo hunt. I was talking to the workers there to sense their perpectives of what I already knew from my son. They basically said the exact same thing. That tells me alot about Enterprise.

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
We recently travelled for a college visit with the kiddo to Charlotte, NC.

Did the same as you - booked a car through a third party with NU because it was the cheapest (it was a 2 day rental). After I booked, I did a quick google search and read reviews. Nope, cancelled and booked for $5 more a day at Enterprise. I'll pay that for good service every day. Enterprise has always ben my go to anyway.

Checked in online and went straight to the car pickup (no waiting in line at the desk). Nice woman there said "your car's not ready yet, so take this Audi", which we did. Note - Charlotte has the Enterprise Exotic rental along with their normal fleet, so I don't expect it to be at every airport.