What knives are you using for mountain hunting?

What knife/knives are you using for mountain hunting?

• Total voters
Buck Paklite Caper & my grandfather's old Boy Scout Knife

edy6a4uv.jpg

I could probably carry the Dozier I have, but this one means so much more to me...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I carry the Piranta in my kill kit and always have a folder (Cold Steel lately) in my pocket. I carry a multi tool when backpacking too, for the reasons Luke went over.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Piranta bit me this week...

ubenunud.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385912287.126076.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385912287.126076.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 83

Ray

WKR
My Havelon bit me too the first time I used it. Learned to stop swapping the first aid kit between the truck and the boat. Also started wearing lite gloves to give me a split second of warning next time.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
No stitches. I just let it bleed for a minute. Flushed it out good, and wrapped it up with e-tape. It is healing well.

I wish I had the first time excuse, but I have been using these things for years. Just a momentary lack of caution. It was also on the very last cut ... Of course.

Last edited:

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I used to carry 4 or 5 knives with me for butchering, until shanevg handed me his Havelon to butcher his bear for him last spring. I went home and bought one. Now if I am hunting deer elk etc, all I have is the Havelon and my leatherman, (always have my leatherman 24/7) If hunting bear I also take my Benchmade folder with a partly serrated blade, as that is great for cutting the tendons in the hand when skinning them.

boom

WKR
i've always wanted a Havalon. but, i worried about having that thing as my only knife, if the poo hits the fan. like i get lost, hurt..or something, and need to stay out in the woods for longer than expected. you certianly couldnt make fire stuff with that thing, or baton thru a branch.

i'm encouraged most of you carry multiple steel. in the woods i carry a burly Benchmade folder. and a MORA for butcher work..i might replace the Mora with a Havalon BOLT. and carry a leatherman multitool instead of the benchmade.

tttoadman

WKR
I am really skeptical of change. I am also anything but delicate with a knife. I am not quite smashing bunnies, but I am confident i would be one of those who would struggle with breaking blades. The support for these knives is overwhelming, and hard to ignore. I am convinced to move forward with the Havalon Bolt with the heavier blades. Thank you all again for convincing me to spend more of my hard earned money just to shed another few oz from my pack weight. I know I will not regret it.

Wrongside

WKR
Any of you boys carrying the skeleton/necker knives? I too carry the havalon but this option really as me thinking. You have a knife under 1.5 ounces and it is a strong fixed blade and avoid the breakage factor. Carry 2 for about 3 ounces

Examples:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/bark-...ark-river-knives-bravo-necker-3v-green-cpm3v/

http://kestrelknives.com/ultralighter/
Ya, depending on the trip, the fixed blade in my pack is often a Bark River Bravo Necker in 3V. Capable, tough little knife for little weight. Gotta say though, my last couple of Bark Rivers have shown up very poorly ground. Disappointing, considering the cost of them.

ScottP

WKR
Ya, depending on the trip, the fixed blade in my pack is often a Bark River Bravo Necker in 3V. Capable, tough little knife for little weight. Gotta say though, my last couple of Bark Rivers have shown up very poorly ground. Disappointing, considering the cost of them.

I had a necker 2 and lost it this spring :( Great knife, tough as hell - I pounded through a 5" diameter aspen once. It did come poorly ground, so I had to do some work on it. Once I did that, it makes a great hunting knife, pretty comfortable in the hand. Razor sharp. Good caping knife too. Note: you can send your knife back to BR if you don't feel it is up to snuff, they will fix it no questions. spendy knife, great warranty.

Now, I carry a Bark River classic drop point hunter. Much more handle, and thicker blade. But it is a sweet knife for breaking down elk. I like a stout fixed blade reliability wise as well, for the 'oh crap' moment (hoping that never happens of course). I carry a small leather strop and two small sheets of sandpaper in 600 and 1500 grit if it needs touch up. I could do some serious damage to the edge and be able to restore it in the field - and the sharpening kit weighs so little.

Also, a small multitool or swiss army sometimes finds its way into the pack.

Maah Daah Hey

Lil-Rokslider
Up until this year I have always used fixed blade knives and typically they were Buck brand. After reading all of the reviews that the Havalon's were getting I purchased a Bolt and have not looked back. This I have taken care of two whitetail deer, one mule deer, and one moose with it and absolutely love it. I have to thank the people on this forum for the great advice!

Birddog

FNG
Havalon and a Dozier Loveless Drop Point Hunter.

I also have a Dozier. Haven't broken down an elk with it, but broke down 9 whitetails (guts to debone) and had to steel it a couple of times to keep it shaving.

boom

WKR
am i reading it correctly...a Dozier Loveless is a $1k knife??!!!

criminy!! not even in my best dreams..

i do want a Neeman knife.

Birddog

FNG
Doziers are high, but the Loveless Drop Point is way out there. Most of the hunters are around $200. I haven't seen anyone mention the Kestrel that Kuiu was promoting a couple of years ago. I bought one but can't get used to it. I guess it's the micro serrations that I haven't adjusted to. Anybody using one?