What knives are you using for mountain hunting?

What knife/knives are you using for mountain hunting?

• Total voters
I voted folder and havalon but that could change. I know there will always be a traditional knife with me but I'll have to give the havalon another couple of animals to see if I can adjust to it. Maybe the 60xt blades would help.

Glad to hear your going to give her a few more tries. Once you get the feel for the blade, you can be pretty hard on them without it breaking.

I do taxidermy part time and like the little bit of flex I get out of the #60XT blades compared to the thicker #60A blades, but you might find they work better for you. Depending on the model of handle you have, you might have to monkey around with it to get the thicker blades to work.

Been packing around a havalon with 5 extra blades for the past 4 years. Broken down 20 or so animals and have yet to put another knife in my pack and don't plan too.

MattB

WKR
I always carry a Havalon + extra blades and a small multitool, and sometimes add a smaller Dozier fixed blade to the pack.

bbrown

WKR
Always a havalon and my SOG Twitch Tanto is always in my pocket - its not really needed just feel naked without it clipped in my pocket. Granted the Tanto blade is not much any more after almost 10 years and one old man at a local sporting goods store who got a lil over zealous with a grinding stone - only make that mistake once.

HOT ROD

WKR
Havalon

I use a Havalon. Broken down several whitetail.. My little brother got one this year.. And we use them two brake down his cow. This year in wyoming

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 151

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dudes, I have found that the havalon knives are way too sharp for my taste. I buy my blades and scalpel handles from havalon, but I go with the Taxidermy blades #70 with a roll top tip, which is cheaper and lighter than a havalon knife system.

Rubber grip handle for scalpel blades #70 all day long. Comes out to be about $0.30 per blade and I use about 4 for a moose, 2 for a sheep or bou, and about 6 ea for a griz.

Hope this helps,

larry

I ran a havalon piranta and a fixed blade Izulu last year but this year I'm keeping the havalon and switching to a benchmade volli folder. There was just to many times I wanted my knife and it was in the pack. So a folder in a pocket or on the waist belt and if I need it to help with an animal it can handle it. I've done 3 animals now with a havalon and although I break a blade every now and again it has worked very well

bcimport

WKR
Havalon and a small fixed blade. I have found that I don't get the backstraps off like I want with the havalon. The blade walks away from the spine and I waste good backstraps and have to grind the little chunks up. The fixed blade solves that problem.

I use a 3-4 in fixed buck knife from rmef and a 25 yr old folding buck knife. I think it's a 109 or 110. I use the fixed blade because it handles well and I like the blade shape. It sharpens easy. It was "free" with renewal one year. I use the folder just because I always have it with me. I use it a bit on every animal (25 years of animals). I found the knife while crossing a fence line by my house when I was 14 and it's got a lot of sentimental value now. I do like a 3-4 in knife in general and break down the whole animal with it. I have a Wyoming saw that I keep in the truck and grab after the first load if I need it for skull cap. I feel comfortable enough now that I could get by with any reasonable now. I would like to use a havalon just to see how it works on elk or mule deer. Maybe I'll get one Xmas or birthday one of these years:)

I have a benchmade folder in my pocket at all times and a Buck packlite and Leatherman in the pack. Too useful not to carry. I would like to get a Havolon in the future.

chorpie

FNG
Havalon and ESEE-4. As a general all purpose tool, a 4" fixed blade comes in really handy.

mtnkid85

WKR
I voted fixed by itself, though I do often have a folder in my pocket that doesn't get used to process the animal. I think I will have to cave and give the havalon a try though.

Jay03

WKR
What he said, literally use my havalon / leatherman the same way and for the same reasons

I'm a havalon/multi tool guy.....mostly cause I break blades when breaking the joints apart...Becca is much more skilled at it and only requires a havalon. :D

Well that and I use my multitool for releasing fish hooks from fish mouths, and do any limbing and clearing our tent sites and what not with a fixed blade of the multitool. For me is 5 oz of worth it. But not for everyone I realize.

Not sure which gear thread you are referring to, but I can't see a good reason not to use a havalon. They are light, always sharp (if you carry extra blades), can swap to different style blades in an instant, and after some practice you rarely break a blade.

This! I use the blade on my leatherman for chores and get by with the tiny saw blade instead of carrying a bone/wood saw. But the havalon gets the job done with the animals. Worth a few extra ounces in my opinion to have the multi tool.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
I have been carrying an Outdoor edge swing blade and KOA Alpha wolf. Both have done well, right after hunting season I got a Havalon paranta as a gift, I am looking forward to testing the Havalon this next season.

OR Archer

WKR
I purchased a Havalon this past spring. I have yet to use it on an animal. I have used in the past a knife called the Z Blade. Basically its a disposable scalpel with a blade similar to a Havalon. Used them on a few animals and I am a firm believer is these type of knives. I also carry a small fixed blade knife for around large joints but that's all I use it for.

tttoadman

WKR
I have a buck 5" fixed blade in the kill kit and a folding gerber on th belt. I ended up using the gerber folder on both of my animals this year and hardly had to get the buck knife dirty.

Beastmode

WKR
Havalon. Never had any issues. Did 5 deer and an elk with mine this year and didn't break one blade. My only complaint is the blades take some getting used to changing, especially when it is extremely cold out. Great product for me. I can see where some guys don't like them though.