What knives are you using for mountain hunting?

What knife/knives are you using for mountain hunting?

• Total voters
I have a benchmade orange griptillian that's always clipped inside my pants pocket. The orange color has probably saved me from stepping on the knife a couple times. I'm really intrigued by the Havalon knives, but I've only had the benchmade two years and want to get my money out of it! I use benchmade's free sharpening service once a year and use the knife for everything including fish, big game, whatever.

Tried the piranta this year for the first time and broke 5 blades working up my elk. A little frustrating but I guess I just wasn't used to it. No issues with it on my pronghorn though. I'll keep it in my pack but it's not replacing my trusty buck lite folder just yet.

bowinhand

WKR
Havalon Bolt in my kill kit and Gerber folder always clipped in my pocket... unless I'm at an air port. I would like the benchmade but hate the idea of loosing it.

I really like having something substantive in my hand. I use a Fallkniven F1 and a Cold Steel Pendleton Mini as a camp knife…then a Leatherman Squirt S4 Multi Tool

I have a Knives of Alaska, I believe it is the Alpha Wolf. Very good knife, and will hold an edge like you wouldn't believe.

I did the gutless method on two deer and a bull elk this year with it and didn't touch the blade once during that time. They are a bugger to sharpen though.

DWarcher

WKR
I've almost jumped on the Havalon bandwagon a bunch of times but haven't done so being I'm happy as heck with the Blade-Tech Pro Hunter Magnum folder I've been using for about the past 12 years. Unfortunately, this knife is now out of production and can be tough to find.

ebhegele

FNG
The bigger bladed havalon knife. A reliable locking blade heavy duty skinner. Extra havalon blades and a sharpening stone.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I have a folding buck knife/saw/gut hook combo that seems to be discontinued. It's a great setup, but a bit heavy, thinking of going the Havalon route or this:

https://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3061

At 4oz I would have all the functionality that I do now, with not much more weight than a havalon setup. I have to carry a sharpener in there, so thats a bit more mass, but no blade changes.

jpolson

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon and a Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter. The cold steel is cheap durable and 2.7 ounces. Takes and edge easily and if I lose or break it...oh well...I buy them 5 at a time.

desertcj

WKR
I was carrying a 3" folder and a 5" fixed blade. I never used the fixed blade. I plan on getting a lighter folder for my pocket knife, probably just a Kershaw chill(2oz) and then I have a cheap Winchester fixed blade that is a bit lighter then the 5" I was carrying or I might just get another stout folder like a Gerber Gator or Cold Steel Voyager or Recon 1. I also carry a folding saw.

drake7

FNG
Havalon Piranta , Buck fixed blade and Leatherman Surge. Trying to eliminate the Buck to save weight but have used it for years.

JP100

WKR
I use a "victory" NZ made skinner knife. these are what butchers/freezing works use and cost about $30. as a guide I get alot of weird looks especially from american clients for carrying a big sheath knife. But when I skin a bull Tahr in full winter coat thats what I need. I like having a bigger knife and it really comes into its own skinning big game. A havalon or the like is good for head skinning but too slow for a cape or full body skin I find.
Last clients had just returned from alaska where they hunted mountain goats and their guide used a "havalon". They said it took two guides 2 hours to skin their mountain goat which to me seemed ridiculous.
My uncle and I had their Bull Tahr full body skinned in about 20 mins and we were off the mountain.
only photo I can find of my knife
210014.1.jpg